Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Best way to add music to my iPod from someone else's computer?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-20-2003, 11:28 PM

LOL

Best way to add music to my iPod from someone else's computer?

Is there any way I can put music onto my iPod from my friends computer? He has iTunes. The Only thing I'm worried about is when mine would sync back to my comp, that would kill his songs, right? Also my iPod would sync to his comp, right? Could someone give me a step by step procedure? Thanks!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-20-2003, 11:57 PM

Best thing to do is connect your iPod to his computer and just use it as a HDD and copy songs to it (you won't be able to play them).

Then connect your iPod back to your PC, move the files off of it (using it as a HDD again) and then import the tunes into iTunes and upload them as you would normally.

I don't recommend uploading your tunes from his iTunes because as a database, iTunes assign's song id's to every song. Since your database is different than his, you run into problems from time to time with song ids getting messed up.

Adam

Old 12-21-2003, 12:01 AM

Freshman Lounger

It sounds like you definitely want to turn off his auto-sync before you hook your iPod up to his computer, then turn it back on again after you've disconnected.
That way you can manually add his files to your iPod (using iTunes) without your iPod screwing up his library.

When you come back to your computer, also turn off auto-sync before you connect your iPod. Then use a utility such as Xpod (available for download on this site) to physically copy the new files off of your iPod and onto your computer (and into your iTunes library). Then, turn auto-sync back on. Now the files are in both places so it should sync fine.

I'm just guessing here, I haven't actually tried these things myself, so don't blame me if you totally foobar both of your iPods and iTunes libraries.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:03 AM

*perfectmachine

Actually, I have synced from multiple computers via iTunes 4 with zero problems, both Mac and PC. Just make sure any given computer is set to Manually Sync and not Auto Sync and you're good to go.

20GB 3G iPod
4GB 2G iPod nano product (RED)
8GB 1G iPhone
Old 12-21-2003, 03:16 AM

Ouch! I love My iPod

What i do is stick the program like Ephpod for example ON the iPod so where ever i take it i just plug the iPod into the pc load up Ephpod and get the music i wanna stick on the ipod then let Ephpod put it in the database.

----------------------------------------------------
iPod : 30Gb Gen3
Headphones : Shure E3c
----------------------------------------------------
Old 12-21-2003, 12:12 PM

Freshman Lounger

is there a way for adding music to the hardrive, i can play it without using itunes. I dont care about playlists. I just want it to play.

| 3G | 20 GB iPod | -900 Songs| iTunes For Windows | Windows XP Pro |

Topic: Best way to add music to my iPod from someone else's computer?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.