Duplicate Albums on iPod only - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Duplicate Albums on iPod only

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 03-09-2007, 04:05 PM

Junior Lounger

Duplicate Albums on iPod only

Windows user Itunes 7.1.0.59
5.5G 80GB iPod with 26GB of music. v1.2.1
Tried restoring (and re-syncing) the iPod

Everything (inc tags) look fine in iTunes, but two albums appear multiple times in the abum list on the iPod only. The albums tracks are listed in their entirety for each occuracne of the album name. The who albums are called Hits and The Hits (which may have something to do with the problem). Is this a known bug?

Last edited by wibbly; 03-09-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:14 PM

Money Begger

Somtimes the ablume names can have a space, which makes a difference. For ex "The Hits" and "The Hits ", notice the spce at the end of the 2nd one. Delete the space(s) and your album titles should appear once instead of multiple times
Old 03-09-2007, 04:32 PM

Junior Lounger

No, that doesn't seem to be the case here. And problem only occurs on the iPod. No duplicate albums showing in iTunes.

Maybe iTunes's database is corrupt in some way. Is there a way to clean/repair it? I don't want to lose my album art by deleting it and re-importing the MP3's, as it's not embedded in the MP3's.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:13 PM

Are you manually managing your iPod's contents? If so, see this thread:

Manual Sync and Duplicated Songs

It could be that you've updated things like artwork in your library and re-dragged songs over to your iPod, which seems to create duplicates when in manual mode.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:06 PM

Junior Lounger

Nope. Fully automatic sync. No disk mode either...

I'm not convinced the album is actually there multiple times. Maybe just the index to it. In the abum list I get

Hits
The Hits
Hits
The Hits
Hits

repeated alternatively like that in a longish list. Something's corrupt as they're not even alphabetic at that point. As if the iPod's got's confused with the 'The' followed by an album of the identical name without the 'The'. Anyone else seen this?

Last edited by wibbly; 03-09-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:21 PM

Junior Lounger

Can iTunes be set somewhere to ignore supressing the 'The' when sorting albums? I will try this to see if it helps, if the setting exists...
Old 03-09-2007, 07:48 PM

The latest version of iTunes (released a couple of days ago) ignores album "The" in album titles. It used to account for "The" but not anymore, the iPod doesn't either. Are the tags correct for the songs linked to those albums? Make sure each song has the appropriate track number, track number of, disc number, disc number of, etc.

128GB iPhone 6S Plus (soon) | Apple Watch 2 (not as soon) | AppleTV 2 (2012) | Microsoft Surface 3 128GB | Beats Studio Wireless | V-Moda Crossfade M-100 | UE Megaboom
Old 03-10-2007, 02:43 AM

Junior Lounger

Tags look fine and everything looks as it should on iTunes.

Can anyone confirm that two identically names albums, exect one with a 'The' in front works for *them*, when browsing the album list on thier iPod?
Old 09-28-2007, 01:27 PM

Freshman Lounger

I am having exactly the same problem - no duplicate albums in iTunes, but on my iPod Classic 80GB, I have 3 albums listed three times and 1 album listed 7 times.

Its really annoying ! Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-28-2007, 05:22 PM

Junior Lounger

This is a bug I'm sure. I was about to post the same message today about this issue. I just noticed the exact same problem on my 160GB. I assure you that my tags are very clean, very well organized and I'm a long-time IPOD/ITUNES user. All the suggestions listed above would not explain my problems (I understand all these things and have made sure that I have a clean listing of artist, album name, etc. bottom line: I'm anal about my tags. I've found at least two albums that show up twice on IPOD only (itunes is fine). When you are playing a song from ONE of the albums, then use the menu to navigate to the OTHER album and select that song, it simply keeps playing from the same point in the song you were already at (i.e., as if you went back to the original song). This tells me that the album songs are not copied twice to the IPOD itself, it is just the LISTING that shows up in the album or artist menus that is duplicated. Very annoying. In one case my duplicate albums are the Beatles (which does have the "the" so this may be part of the issue. I'll have to look to determine the other artist as I can't recall who it was to see if the "the" is involved).

p.s. I can tell you that it is not only the "the" issue. I just checked quickly and artists with multiple albums such as "The Who" "The White Stripes" and "The Band" don't exhibit this problem on the IPOD.

Last edited by garym; 09-28-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:57 PM

Power Lounger

I had this happen on mine. What happened was the iPod started recognizing differences in caps on album titles. "Best Of The Chi-Lites" and "Best of Chi-Lites" would be one album on iTunes, but two albums on the iPod. I changed the caps and the ablum went back to being one album on the iPod.

A lot of people are complaining about this, so it could be a bug, but luckily I haven't had this problem. The only thing I can think of would be to remove the files from your library and re-import them. If you have them as part of playlists, you'll have to re-add them to the playlists and manually build back up their playcount and ratings.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:21 AM

Junior Lounger

I have the same problem, but artists are duplicated instead of albums. I've asked about this before when I first bought my 80GB (last September, of course), and no one had an answer for me that didn't accuse me of sloppy tagging. I know that's not the problem because I've spent lots of time carefully organizing everything, and every album and song can be found under each occurrence of the artists.

I forgot to mention that some have apparently corrected themselves over time and that on occasion this problem pops up with completely different artists than before. One has constantly given me trouble over the course of the last year though.

Last edited by eissac; 09-29-2007 at 01:24 AM.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:15 AM

Junior Lounger

I should add that I have this problem with ARTISTS and ALBUMS. I've only noticed a few so far, but I have the 160GB full so that's a lot of artists and albums. I agree, that most responses seem to assume that our tagging is off. But I'm with you...I have this bug and it is NOT tagging. I know all the issues with an extra space at end of name, or capitalization, etc. I think what these responders aren't picking up on is that these mistakes would cause multiple listings in ITUNES as well. My issue is that itunes is OK, but the duplicate listings show up in the IPOD only.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:18 PM

Junior Lounger

UPDATE: In checking for possible problems I have resolved one issue (although it is still a "bug"). For example, I have 18 albums of "The Beatles". I also have two songs with the artist name listed as "Beatles" without the the. This is on purpose as the two songs are something different. In Itunes, all is fine. But in the IPOD, when the "Beatles" songs are selected along with "The Beatles" songs, the IPOD menu first shows all 18 "The Beatles" albums, then shows the next artist as "Beatles" with the two songs, then REPEATS the listing of the artist "The Beatles" again, with all 18 albums listed. When I "uncheck" the "Beatles" two songs on itunes and resync, "The Beatles" then shows up in the menu only once with the 18 albums.

Bottom line: somehow, the software on the ipod/itunes sync system gets confused when it reads first "the beatles" then adds "beatles" because it somehow then lists "the beatles" all over again. It shouldn't do this, but I suspect it relates to the sort fields (which for "the beatles" is "beatles")
Old 09-29-2007, 03:43 PM

Junior Lounger

Hmm. So confusing.

I might have duplicate listings of albums as well, but I don't recall ever seeing it. (I usually just put a playlist or artist on shuffle and never really look at the screen.)

I've tried manually updating my iPod to fix the problem, but that often just makes it worse for me. For example, I'd go find everything by the habitually problematic artist (which also happens to be my most played artist ), uncheck everything by them and sync to remove them from the iPod. Then I go back and check off one song at a time and sync each one individually. The artist would appear on the iPod as it should, but eventually it would replicate itself. As soon as that would happen, I'd remove the last song to see if it would go back to normal. Sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldn't. I eventually gave up and just put it all back on the iPod, and instead of just having two listings for that one artist, I ended up with eight duplicates (nine in all!).

I've experimented, and I'm convinced that it has nothing to do specific files either.

Topic: Duplicate Albums on iPod only

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.