Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: What is 'Other' space in iPod Summary?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 02-24-2007, 05:42 AM

Freshman Lounger

Question What is 'Other' space in iPod Summary?

Hi all, this is my first post! I'm fairly new to iPod so please excuse my questions.

So I just accidentally deleted all the contents on my 80GB video iPod (which is another story - I tried to sync the movies but didn't realize all my files on iPod would be erased ), it is a bit frustrating but okay, I guess I can start over since I've been experiencing frozen screen (on "Do not disconnect") and figured I might as well restore its original settings. But after the restore is completed, I see in the iPod Summary page that my 80GB iPod really only has 74.37GB in capacity, and the 'Other' category takes up 76.1MB, which makes total free space to be merely 74.29MB.

My first question is, where has that 5GB+ of space gone to? And what is 'Other' that consumes 76MB of space? Are they system files of some sort?

Thanks in advance!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:51 AM

Senior Lounger

Hello. Most of the size difference on your iPod's harddrive is due to a difference between how harddrive manufacturers and computer operating systems determine storage size. For HD makers, 1000 bytes= 1 kilobyte. For computer operating systems, 1024 bytes= 1 kilobyte. This discrepancy is such that the bigger the harddrive, the less actual space you really have.

On my 30GB iPod, I have only 27.84 of space.

As for your second question, I'm not sure, but I assumed myself that "Other" is both system files and cover art.

Rick
Old 02-24-2007, 08:04 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for your response, Rick! That makes sense. I was unsure if I left some junk in there taking up space, but shouldn't be the case since restore supposedly cleans out everything.

Kat
Old 02-24-2007, 08:11 PM

There was another thread posted about 2 hours before yours in which another user asked the same question.

Basically, the Other data on your iPod is album art, file allocation structures, your main library file, and any other data that the iPod uses to read its songs. I wouldn't worry too much. My library is over 7000 songs/music videos and my iPod has bout 600MB of Other data on it, all of which have to do with using my library (and album art). The Other data can get pretty big, especially if you let iTunes add cover art to your music since iTunes likes to use the high resolution pictures from the iTunes Store.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 02-25-2007, 04:54 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002
There was another thread posted about 2 hours before yours in which another user asked the same question.

Basically, the Other data on your iPod is album art, file allocation structures, your main library file, and any other data that the iPod uses to read its songs. I wouldn't worry too much. My library is over 7000 songs/music videos and my iPod has bout 600MB of Other data on it, all of which have to do with using my library (and album art). The Other data can get pretty big, especially if you let iTunes add cover art to your music since iTunes likes to use the high resolution pictures from the iTunes Store.
I saw the other thread too but if you looked at my first post, I asked the questions first.
Thanks for the additional explanation. I was curious about the 'Other' space because I thought the restore (to original factory settings) should have already erased all my data, including album art? Does that mean just the file allocation structure/library file/etc. take up 76MB?
Old 02-25-2007, 11:26 AM

Yes, the internal library databases and other operating files easily take up 76MB or more. This number will in fact increase as you add more content to your iPod, even if you're not including album art, as each additional track still has to have it's metadata stored in the iPod database.

Generally if it's below 150MB I wouldn't worry about it too much. Album artwork, games, and other data will of course increase this size, but at this point even on a fully-loaded 80GB iPod it should never be over 2GB unless you've stored your own files on the iPod (ie, in disk mode).

Old 02-28-2007, 04:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

Just noticed I had a huge amount under "Other", not sure what's taking up all the space.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:08 PM

Hi and welcome to iLounge.

Unless you've manually copied data onto the iPod (ie, in disk mode through Windows Explorer or Finder), then the most likely cause of this much OTHER is "orphaned" files...

Basically, the iPod identifies what is contained on the iPod by looking at the entries in it's database. If files were copied to the iPod during a sync, but the iPod database was not updated (which normally happens as the last thing during an auto-sync), then these files are essentially orphaned, taking up space on your iPod but not actually accessible by the iPod or iTunes.

Unfortunately, about the only way to recover from this easily is to do a full RESTORE on your iPod (which will erase everything on it) and then reload it from iTunes.

The most common cause of orphaned files is having iTunes or the iPod freeze/crash during a sync, or disconnecting the iPod before the sync finishes and the iPod is ejected properly (always wait for the "do not disconnect" message to disappear before disconnecting the iPod).

Old 02-28-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithiumx

Just noticed I had a huge amount under "Other", not sure what's taking up all the space.

That could be any of the above. If you don't have any data files that you copied to your iPod (other than music copied through iTunes) then I imagine it is ghost data. You can restore your iPod with iTunes to delete this ghost data. Restoring your iPod will erase everything on it so make sure your music is on your computer.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 08-20-2010, 08:47 AM

Freshman Lounger

Lightbulb Wtf!

I was adding songs to my ipod (with artworks), and whilst i was adding them my "other" section was 1.3gb! Then after it went back down to 354gb.

I think it is data that itunes doesnt understand, for example when i was adding my music the files may have been incomplete. Also the app memmory can only be used by the apps.

Bit stupid tho!
Old 04-01-2011, 12:23 AM

Freshman Lounger

Unhappy Other Space

So I have encountered a similar but much worse problem and have found no answers anywhere.

I recently got an iPod 5G 80GB and found that the files were almost completely full of "other" or about 73GB. I could only fit between 300 and 500 songs on it and have reset it multiple times and restored it via iTunes several time.

Every time I plug it in, it is not recognized and only when I put it into disk mode can I connect it to iTunes. After restoring it, it works sometimes for a while but still, very limited space. I opened the iPod folder and there are no files except the ones that come on it when you restore it. I manually checked the hard drive and it had only 3 reallocs and 2 pending sections. Everything looks like it should be good, but it isn't. 73GB of "other" and I got it off craigslist so no bringing warranty or anything.

Please help.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:00 AM

If you've restored it through iTunes and it's still showing space taken up by "Other" that suggests either a physical hard drive or file system problem.

Try connecting it to your computer and formatting it through the operating system as an external hard drive. "Restore" doesn't actually format the iPod hard drive in the same way -- it merely erases everything and copies the control files back on. A full OS-level format should hopefully clean up any stray file system issues. Following this, your iPod will likely not boot up properly, effectively complaining that it can't find its operating files, however a subsequent "restore" through iTunes in disk mode should solve that.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:05 PM

Freshman Lounger

reformatting

I tried reformatting, once into NTFS and also into exFAT (my computer wouldn't do FAT32 for some reason), after both of these I reconnected to the computer and restored the settings but still had 73GB of "other."

Do you think this means that the hard drive is shot? Again, the testing of it showed almost no signs of hard drive failure with only 3 reallocs and 1 pending sector. i'll probably just have to try and return it....
Old 04-02-2011, 07:38 PM

FAT32 should be the "normal" format, so if you can't format it to FAT32 that suggests something odd may be going on. This could be a hardware disk controller problem on the iPod rather than a problem with the disk itself, but the bottom line is that if you're seeing this behaviour even after a full low-level format and restore it definitely suggests something is defective with the iPod itself that is beyond normal repair efforts.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:33 PM

Freshman Lounger

i have 2.9gb of other on my 8 gb ipod and its really annoying cause i like to have this film on it aswell as some apps but the i always go over is there anyway to get rid of some of the other plz help cause its annoying

Topic: What is 'Other' space in iPod Summary?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.