Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: I accidentally deleted some of my purchased music!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-20-2007, 03:02 AM

Lounge about Lounger

I accidentally deleted some of my purchased music!

I accidentally delted some of my purchased music from iTunes. Is there a way to get this back? It has been erased from my ipod also so I cannot transfer it back. I do still have the receipts from iTunes. Would apple let me download them again? Or will I have to buy them again?

Any ideas?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:49 AM

Pro Lounger

did you just remove them from iTunes or did you delete them from your harddrive as well? Look in the location all your music files are stored in and see if the music is still there. If so just add it back into iTunes. If not, then it's gone.

I don't know if iTunes will allow you to re-download the music, you may get lucky though. Couldn't hurt to ask.

not to be rude, but this is why you should always keep a backup of your music. When I purchase music I burn audio CD's of the music I just purchased. I also backup all my media files (music, movies, pictures) and other computer files onto a 500GB external harddrive that I only connect once a week to back everything up to. This way, if my harddrive fails I have a digital copy of everything so I can just copy it back to the computer and if for some freak reason both my PC harddrive and backup external harddrives fail, I still have the burned audio CD's that I can re-import into iTunes.

iPods
-White 5G 30GB iPod Video w/ DLO Silicone Jacket & RadTech Silicone Dock Protector
-White 5.5G 80GB iPod Video w/ Power Support Silicone Jacket, RadTech Silicone Dock Protector & InvisibleShield Full Body Cover
-White 1G 512MB iPod Shuffle
Old 02-20-2007, 10:16 AM

Lounge about Lounger

I have checked on my hard drive and they are gone from there!

Not to worry though as it wasn't too much. Only about 5 songs so I will just redownload them. I just wondered if there was a way to get them from apple again without having to rebuy them. When I rebought one of them it, my account knew I had already purchased it, and asked to double check that I wanted to buy it again. I thought from that that apple may allow me to download them again without repurchasing them.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:22 AM

Pro Lounger

yeah, that would be ideal but I remember reading someone having a similar problem and Apple wouldn't let them re-download them for free, they had to re-purchase.

but seriously, I would look into backing up your music, it could save you some money if something goes really bad.

iPods
-White 5G 30GB iPod Video w/ DLO Silicone Jacket & RadTech Silicone Dock Protector
-White 5.5G 80GB iPod Video w/ Power Support Silicone Jacket, RadTech Silicone Dock Protector & InvisibleShield Full Body Cover
Old 02-20-2007, 10:33 AM

Apple doesn't officially permit you to re-download your tracks (otherwise I'm sure everybody would expect that and wouldn't actually keep backups), however most people who have contacted the iTunes Store Customer Service have had success with being allowed to re-download their tracks as a one-time thing.

This happened to me in fact last summer when I had a hard drive crash a couple of hours after purchasing two new albums. A few weeks later I realized that those were missing and hadn't been backed up, so I contacted the iTunes Store and they were more than happy to just flag those two albums so they would be re-downloaded the next time I checked for purchases.

Again, it doesn't hurt to ask, but just keep in mind that they're doing you a favour and this is not a service they normally provide.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:06 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have my purchased music backed up on an external hard drive, but after reading your advise I am going to make CD copies of everything as well. It's cheap, easy & makes such good sense...can't believe I haven't done this before now. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2007, 01:14 PM

Pro Lounger

yep, cheap insurance

iPods

Topic: I accidentally deleted some of my purchased music!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.