Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: ColorWare iPod Paint Modification - My Review

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 12-18-2003, 10:02 PM

Freshman Lounger

Colorwarepc Ipod Paint Modification - My Review

Okay, I got my iPod back today and here are my thoughts.

Once you order the service via their website, someone will email you within a day and ask what return shipment method you want (Ground, 2-Day, Overnight, etc) and give you the prices for each. I figure this is a step they could do away with and just add it to the checkout process when you first place the order.

Next step you have to do is package up your ipod and ship it off to the address provided after you've purchased the service. Be sure to insure your package for the value of the ipod because FedEx and UPS can lose packages! Ground shipping to them fully insured using fedex was around $6 or so.

A week goes by and I didnt hear anything back from the company. There is no "order status" system on their website, so you cant tell whats going on. So, a week later I emailed customer service and asked how much longer it was going to be. They told me it would ship out the next day. Since I am going out of town this weekend, ground shipping wouldnt have made it to me in time. So, i had to upgrade my shipping method to 2-Day.

2 days later, my package arives. Pics below.

The paint is a nice automotive-quality metallic paint with a clear coat layer on top. The paint job was very nice. No noticeable blemishes anywhere.

I was a little concerned that the paint and clear coat over the touch pad would lessen the performance. That was not the case. It seems to function exactly the same as before.

So the total cost after the service price plus to and from shipping is anywhere from $55-85 depending on which shipping methods you choose. Is it worth that much? No. Is it a cool mod? Absolutely. I'm sure you could get yourself some masking tape and a can of good quality spray paint and do something similar for only a few dollars, but it probably wouldnt look as good as this.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-18-2003, 10:23 PM

TakoKichi

Ryan!

That painted Pod is sooo sweet! Your pictures are MUCH more flattering than the ones posted on their website.

Can you tell how they masked the transition between front plastics and back chrome. Do you think they popped open the Pod to get a perfect paint line??

I am sooo thinking about this....

Thanks for the pics!

3g 20GB iPod
iSkins: Jacko, [color=sky blue]Caribbean Blue, [/color] Passion

[size=3.5]TiVo[/size] [size=3.5]|[/size] [size=1.2] SERlES[/size][size=3.5]2[/size] - [size=1.5]0226 hrs[/size]
Old 12-18-2003, 10:28 PM

Now in mind-searing AAC!

That is absolutely breathtaking!

Did you hear about the dyslexic, agnostic insomniac who stayed up all night wondering if there really is a dog?
Old 12-18-2003, 10:39 PM

Freshman Lounger

they dont open the ipod. This mod doesnt void the warrenty -- or so im told. It appears they did used some type of tape or something to mask off the chrome. If I look very closely, I can see some offspray of the paint on the very beginning edge of the chrome. But this isnt something you'd notice unless you are 1 inch away. Not a big deal

-Ryan
Old 12-18-2003, 10:46 PM

really low ranking member

#### that is one fine ipod.

Wouldn't it be cool if they could put flames down the side ala a fifties hotrod?

It looks like it has flake in it.

love it!
Old 12-18-2003, 11:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

no, the paint isnt flaked.

Here is a high-res version of pic number 5 from above. Dial-up Warning: 440KB

for anyone wondering, this color is called "Envy" on their site. The demo pics look horrible on their site.

Last edited by Ryan; 12-18-2003 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:09 PM

Freshman Lounger

dang

that thing looks so bad ###. i think like a grayish blue would be cool.

eh
Old 12-18-2003, 11:09 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by markp99
Ryan!

That painted Pod is sooo sweet! Your pictures are MUCH more flattering than the ones posted on their website.

Can you tell how they masked the transition between front plastics and back chrome. Do you think they popped open the Pod to get a perfect paint line??

I am sooo thinking about this....

Thanks for the pics!
they reviewed this on techtv and they said that they don't open it or anything. and it doesn't void the apple waranty.

let it be

peace
Old 12-18-2003, 11:34 PM

I like to Boogie Woogie

That is one HOT looking iPod i see there...My main concern though is do you think the paint can chip off during time? Or do you think it will stay on there permanently?

40 GB, 4G iPod
4th Gen Contour Showcase, Black
2000+ songs & counting
iMac, 60 GB, OS 10.3.8, G4, Superdrive
iBook, 40 GB, OS 10.3.8, G4, Combodrive
Music makes the people come together ~ Madonna
Old 12-18-2003, 11:40 PM

Freshman Lounger

i think the layer of clear coat will keep the paint from scratching, peeling, chipping. I'm scratching it with my fingernail right now and it just glides across. Unless i slice at the paint with a knife or something, it doesnt look like it will come off.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:53 PM

v43
Junior Lounger

nice paint job i wonder if it comes in more colours that would be cool
Old 12-19-2003, 12:10 AM

Mmm...videos

Wow...thats hot. I'm seriously considering getting Caution or Wet now when I have the money. That's a quality paint job. My only concern is whether I have the balls to do it or not.

8GB iPod nano 2G
Old 12-19-2003, 12:28 AM

Senior Lounger

It would be cooler if they left the scroll wheel unpainted. Maybe they can via special request.....
Old 12-19-2003, 12:46 AM

Senior Lounger

Actually, I wish they also painted the buttons, but I guess you wouldn't be able to see the |<< MENU |> >>|
That looks cool and I think it would maybe be worth $50 ('cause it's certainly not something I could do).
I'd be excited to see other pics from places other than their site.

Thanks, Ryan.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:29 AM

Freshman Lounger

i guess they dont paint the 4 buttons because the fact that they are backlit.

I picked the green color because i thought if i got something darker it might look akward with 4 white buttons right in the middle. With the lighter colors, they dont stick out as much. (I was judging this on the pictures they have on their site. I'm sure even the dark colors will look good in person)

Topic: ColorWare iPod Paint Modification - My Review

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.