Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Some songs in itunes won't sync to ipod, freshly ripped commercial cds

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-10-2007, 07:26 PM

Freshman Lounger

Some songs in itunes won't sync to ipod, freshly ripped commercial cds

Starting about a month ago, all songs I have loaded onto itunes via ripping from regular commercial CDs won't sync to the ipod. Podcasts sync, and so do songs purchased via the itunes store. Could it be my CD/DVD reader writer that I replaced recently? Even though the songs are perfectly playable from the computer?

Dell laptop runs XP
60 gb Ipod photo--I don't know the generation.
itunes version 7.0.2.16
ipod software 1.2.1

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:46 AM

It is very unlikely that it is the CD drive itself if the songs otherwise play fine.

What format are you ripping the songs to, and are you ripping them via iTunes itself? Have you checked your sync preferences to ensure that the new music you've added is actually included in that which syncs to your iPod... In other words that they are in the correct playlists (if you're only syncing specific ones), or that they are checked (if you have the option to only sync checked items enabled).

Old 02-11-2007, 12:05 PM

Freshman Lounger

Under the ipod--music menu, I had checked "sync all songs and playlists." I was ripping the cds through itunes itself, so that means the format had to be compatible, right? I looked to see what format I was ripping into, and under preferences, advanced, importing I had selected "AAC encoder."

What is the Apple Lossless encoder?
Old 02-11-2007, 12:44 PM

Yes, if you've ripped in through iTunes, it should definitely be compatible with your iPod, so I'm not sure why they would not be syncing to the iPod.

What gives you the impression that they are not syncing? Are they not showing up when you try to find them on the iPod itself, or can you not see them on the iPod via iTunes? Sometimes if the tags are not filled out properly, or the tracks are set to "Part of a Compilation" they will not always appear where you expect them to be. I would suggest opening the iPod in iTunes and seeing if you can see the songs on there (they will be greyed out, so you may not be able to browse for them easily, but you should be able to just scroll through the list and find them).

The Apple Lossless encoder is a lossless compression format, as the name implies. It produces much larger files than AAC or MP3, but has the advantage of retaining the original quality of the CD. This is supported on iTunes as well, but you're looking at files that are likely going to be 5-8 times larger than a 128kbps AAC file (the default format), so you would end up being able to hold far less content on your iPod.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:07 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for your help. I have the impression they are not syncing because I cannot find them on the ipod, whether I look under artist, song, or album. I checked some of the songs back on itunes to see if I had them properly labelled, and that they were not part of a compilation. That all seemed right.

I'm not sure what you mean by asking whether I can see them on the ipod through itunes. If the ipod is not docked, I can see the songs on itunes. If the ipod is docked, and I ask to see what is on the ipod, I really only get five options: summary, music, podcasts, photos and contacts.

Under "music," I don't see any songs, albums or artists to scroll through. I only see a list of all my playlists, along with the option to sync all (they are greyed out) or sync seleted (then I can choose which to sync). Under "podcasts" I see a list of all my podcast subscriptions, but not individual episodes. Also, I see the choice of how many to keep when syncing. How do you check to see what is on the ipod through itunes?
Old 02-11-2007, 01:19 PM

If you click on the small triangle to the left of your iPod in iTunes, it should expand and show you the various categories of content that are on the iPod itself. You can then select "Music" (not the tab, but the sub-category in the source pane), and you should see the list of music on your iPod. It will be greyed out as well, since you are in automatic sync (and therefore cannot manage it directly), but you should still be able to scroll down through the list manually and look for the specific songs to see if they were in fact copied to the iPod.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:40 PM

Freshman Lounger

OK, so here is the additional evidence gathered, jhollington. The music that I was not able to find directly on the ipod was equally absent from the ipod-when-examined-through-itunes. But the songs were NOT greyed out, even though the ipod is still checked as "sync all songs and playlists." I was able to click on a song under the music subcategory under "Bob's ipod" and a podcast in the podcast subcategory, and play them just as if I were accessing them through the music subcategory under "Library."
Old 02-11-2007, 10:01 PM

Ah, then it would appear that your iPod may in fact be in manual sync mode, somehow...

On the iPod "Summary" tab (in iTunes), is the setting for "Manually manage music and videos" checked? If this is, then the iPod is actually in manual mode, and will not automatically sync anything. In manual mode you would drag and drop tracks to the iPod from iTunes instead of just letting it sync automatically.

If this setting is in fact on, simply turn it off and click the "Apply" button and it should return your iPod to automatic sync mode. You may also want to check the "Music", "Movies" and "TV Shows" tabs to ensure that the "Sync" checkbox is selected in each of these as well (it should be the first checkbox on each tab).

Old 02-11-2007, 10:49 PM

Freshman Lounger

We are at least getting close. You were right about it somehow being in manual sync mode. But I'm having trouble getting it out. When I uncheck "manual sync mode" then "enable disk use" can be selected. First I just clicked apply, and the check came back on its own. When I deselected manual sync AND enable disk use, it warned me I would delete everything on the ipod. I balked, then I clicked on restore to factory settings, and braved the possibility that I was erasing everything. (It's all still on the computer, after all). It will just take some time to reload 4700 songs (about 15 gb). I'll report back in the morning. Good night!
Old 02-12-2007, 12:05 AM

Freshman Lounger

Success! I feel like a pilot after getting talked down by an air traffic controller.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:29 AM

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

For future reference, setting it back to "Automatic" mode and "Restoring" it would have likely had the same end result, except that it might have been faster to just set it back to automatic.

Although iTunes warns you that going back to automatic mode will erase everything on your iPod, what it actually does it match the content of your iPod up to the content of your library. If you originally loaded your music from iTunes, this will be faster than a full restore, since iTunes will go through and just check all the files that are already on your iPod and leave them there if they're still in the iTunes library.

Obviously if you were doing this with a completely new library, it would in fact erase everything on your iPod as you would not have anything in your library in the first place, which is why the warning is relatively generic.

Topic: Some songs in itunes won't sync to ipod, freshly ripped commercial cds

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.