Ipod vid 30gb freezes computer when plugged in w/ itunes

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

dfer

My 30GB video ipod whether I open itunes while it is in its dock or if it is already open will freeze the entire computer except for my mouse, until i unplug it; then i see the ipod and its stats on itunes for one second and it disappears and everything is normal again.

Any ideas?

i'm on vista evaluation copy, and it worked fine for months, then last week it just froze a bunch.

the ipod itself also freezes or gets held up if you make too many quick choices. what does that mean?

kornchild2002

Hello and welcome to iLounge. I myself and running Windows Vista Business (the final retail copy) and haven't had any problems thus far. I have been running it for almost the past week and everything has been fine.

You should try doing this:
1. Reset your iPod by pressing and holding the menu and select buttons at the same time until you see the Apple logo, this may take longer than 20 seconds to be patient.
2. Uninstalling and re-downloading and installing iTunes
3. Then restore your iPod with the latest version of iTunes

If your iPod freezes after making too many quick choices, then it sounds like you have an iPod issue. It is normal for an iPod to be slow if you are backing out of music, a game, or a playing video. It is not normal for it to freeze though.

dfer

i've done all of this, thanks
any ideas on what's wrong with the ipod?

kornchild2002

It sounds like there is either a file system structure error on the iPod's hard drive or you have a bad cluster. A file system structure can be fixed, I forgot what code needs to be run through DOS but it can be fixed. A bad cluster on your hard drive can't be fixed though.

Since you tried all that and it didn't work, you should try plugging your iPod into your computer and let it sit there for a while. How old is your computer and what kind of specs does it have (mainly processor speed and RAM)?

dfer

i'm gonna search up on this code, but if you remember or find it please let me know, thanks.

i tried that as well;
232gb hd
1022mb ram
3.4ghz

kornchild2002

I tried searching for that code but I can't quite find it. I don't think it would apply to your situation though as that code is for people having a disk error with their iPod, it doesn't fix anything with freezing iPods.

I think the issue is with your computer and not your iPod. Since you already restored your iPod (and that didn't work), then your computer should have recognized it as a new iPod (iTunes should have recognized it as a new iPod).

Did you upgrade to Windows Vista or did you do a clean install of it (ie reformat your computer)? There might be a driver conflict issue. If you upgraded, the older Windows XP driver is probably on your computer but Microsoft (or Apple sent it to Microsoft) made a newer Vista driver that added better connectivity but your computer keeps using the older driver instead of the newer one.

You should reformat your computer using your copy of Windows Vista (presumably RC1 or RC2) instead of upgrading. These evaluation copies are about to expire in a couple of weeks as the final version of Vista has been released. Then, you will either have to revert back to Windows XP (with a clean install, you simply can't uninstall Windows Vista) or you will have to purchase a copy of Windows Vista. If you purchase a copy, then you can do a clean install on your system (whether you purchase the upgrade copy or the full copy).