"DO NOT DISCONNECT" message does not go away!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

anilph7

Hi,

I have been using my 80G video iPod since December 2006 without any problems at all.

This morning I connected the iPod to the USB port as I do several times daily. However, this time the iPod did not show up on iTunes. So I used regular USB port disconnect method for Windows XP and then disconnected the iPod. Now the "DO NOT DISCONNECT" message on my iPod does not want to go away, thus effectively making the iPod un-usable.

I have since tried to connect and disconnect several times and even restarted my laptop. But it neither does my iPod show up on iTunes nor does the "DO NOT DISCONNECT" message go away. My iPod is just stuck.

How do I get rid of that message and get back to using the iPod? Do I have to wait till the battery drains fully - but even then will this thing work ever again?

I guess since I bought this in December, the warranty will probably cover this if I need to return it or get it serviced.

I will appreciate all help. I just need to get this thing to work again.

Cheers

paranoidxe

Do a Reset (Hold Center + Menu for about 10 seconds until the apple logo appears)

lockjawdavis

I tried that fix. Similar to my 3Gen iPod. Unfortunately, no luck. Any other suggestions???

jinjok

i had/ve this problems with vista yesterday. did you upgrade the firmware recently???

BUG??!

my fix was to always eject from itunes not simply from windows remove hw

Christobal

Same here on a newish 80 GB with Macbook. Lights are on, "Do not disconnect". can't do anything.

Reset only hurts my fingers!!

HELP!

C

Last edited:

Nickster

GODZILLA!!!111oneone
Website
thenickster.net
Have you just tried ejecting your iPod from iTunes? You should see next to the iPod in the Source menu a small eject symbol. There is also one in the corner of iTunes. If you need something more visual click here.

Christobal

My iPod never showed up in iTunes.

I plugged it in to update it. The "do not disconnect" screen came on, but the iPod never appeared in iTunes. The charging icon (green with lightning bolt) was not active. Only the battery half full icon.

I've plugged it in again and again. The Mac doesn't see it. The light is on, but NOTHING can be done. Held the reset keys for 2 minutes. Nothing. Ready to throw it against the wall.

Thanks for looking/posting.

C

brennser

did you ever find a resolution to this? I am having the exact same problem - this is my second ipod and the first time I've ever had a problem but its really frustrating

Christobal said:
My iPod never showed up in iTunes.

I plugged it in to update it. The "do not disconnect" screen came on, but the iPod never appeared in iTunes. The charging icon (green with lightning bolt) was not active. Only the battery half full icon.

I've plugged it in again and again. The Mac doesn't see it. The light is on, but NOTHING can be done. Held the reset keys for 2 minutes. Nothing. Ready to throw it against the wall.

Thanks for looking/posting.

C

Pagemaster717

iPodder!
if you tried reseting your ipod, have you tried restarting your comp? maybe then will it be recognized and you can eject it properly.

thewho61

While the iPod is plugged into your computer, reset it, and when it gets to the first black screen, BEFORE the Apple logo appears, hold down the center button and te play/pause button to force your iPod into disk mode. It will then show a black and white version of the "Do Not Disconnect" screen. Then, see if it updates on iTunes, and eject it.

LNAV

My Fix

I am not sure of the root cause, but I've had this problem occasionally for the last 9 months. But I've noticed it will only happen when I connect after my iPod has not been used for a few days, meaning it's completely powered down, not just on standby. If I just connect my car or AC wall charger for a brief moment, the problem is totally avoided. Powering it up w/o connecting it to a charger sometimes helps, but not always. The only solution is connecting it to a charger. I think it is one of the recommendations Apple gave in their help tips.

When it does happen, the only thing I found that works to bring it back to a useable state is to allow the battery to drain all the way down, then connecting it to a charger like I mention above. I let it charge all the way, but I don't know if just charging it a bit works the same. Then I connect it to iTunes. I have not had the same success if I charge it in my car; only the wall charger seems to do the trick.

I have a PC, but have never heard this happening to anyone else, Mac or PC. I have a Gen 4 30GB ipod.

nicekit

well my problem is abit different

iPod video 30GB *non revised version*

plugged into iTunes, detected
can file transfer yada yada

eject from iTunes..
iPod still show DO NOT DISCONNECT
iPod disappear from iTunes

from this moment on.. there 2 choice..
choice 1:
just disconnect iPod
DO NOT DISCONNECT will disappear but have side effect...

choice 2:
let it be... and hope that DO NOT DISCONNECT disappear..
it doesn't
Windows Redetected new devices !! :O

btw the side effect if i disconnect the iPod with DO NOT DISCONNECT screen
i will not be able to standby my iPod by pressing and holding the Play button..
when i press and hold the Play.. i will get screen dimmed instead of standby

and i will need to RESET the iPod in order to standby it..

that's my current problem

notice it exist recently not sure if it is due to iPod firmware upgrade or iTunes upgrade

mstudios

what I've done

ok I've had this problem on 2 ipods, the 60 Gig and the 30gig....

Here's my resolve:

Let the battery drain down, usually overnight and then restart holding down the reset buttons ( middle button) and it should restart the system. Then use an electrical charger ( you know a charge that plugs into the wall) not a computer charge and recharge your battery until fully charged.........and you should be fine..

Good luck.

nicekit

mstudios said:
ok I've had this problem on 2 ipods, the 60 Gig and the 30gig....

Here's my resolve:

Let the battery drain down, usually overnight and then restart holding down the reset buttons ( middle button) and it should restart the system. Then use an electrical charger ( you know a charge that plugs into the wall) not a computer charge and recharge your battery until fully charged.........and you should be fine..

Good luck.

then when u plug back to the computer
the same problem happens again.........

jshoults

Sledgehammer solution to "Do not disconnect"

Same problem here- "DO NOT DISCONNECT" won't go away. Computer sorta recognizes that something has been connected (I get the Windows "ba-doop" sound, indicating something has been plugged in), but it doesn't show up in the list of drives, nor will iTunes recognize it.

This has happened to me before. Letting the battery completely drain down works, but I don't feel like waiting.

SOLUTION:
Crack open the iPod and unplug the battery. This is a semi-delicate procedure, and instructions are here: ... seriously?? ilounge will not let "new" members post URLs, so go to ifixit dot com and look for the article "iPod 5th Generation (Video) Battery Replacement"

The battery power ribbon is the one shown in Step 6 in the link above that I can't show you because ilounge thinks I'm a new member even though I signed up years ago.

You need to be aware of how the battery connector works. The connector has 2 parts:
1. Bottom - the white-colored pin shroud (this slides over the pins that are sticking out of the logic board)
2. Top - the dark-colored "lock" that you push down to hold the ribbon in place.​

When these two are pressed together, they grip the ribbon with pressure, making it connect with the pins that are sticking up through the body of the connector.

So to be clear, you have the ribbon, the two-part compression connector, and the pins sticking out of the circuit board.

As the instructions indicate, it is not necessary to pull off the entire connector, only to loosen the top part (the dark-colored lock), releasing the lock-grip on the ribbon. Then the ribbon will slip right out. Fret not if you accidentally pull out the connector. Just be careful to not bend the pins on the circuit board, and carefully (use a magnifying glass!) place the connector back over the pins. Then insert the ribbon and push the lock down. This will require tweezers (to hold the ribbon in) and something like a toothpick to push the lock back down, gripping the ribbon in place.

Now your iPod is back in business!