Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod not being detected by Dell Latitude X200

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-16-2003, 10:50 PM

Freshman Lounger

iPod not being detected by Dell Latitude X200

Hm. I seem to be having a little problem with my 15GB 3G iPod here. I have a PC running Windows XP Professional and a 6-pin IEEE1394 PCI card. My iPod syncs fine with my PC and I have experienced no problems with it whatsoever.

Yesterday, I tried plugging my iPod into a Dell Latitude X200 which has a built-in 6-pin IEEE1394 port and that's where the problems began.

That particular laptop runs Windows XP Professional. Whenever I plug my iPod in, Windows generates a sound alert to notify me that I have plugged in a new device and after a short while, a removable drive icon appears in My Computer. The strange thing is that My Computer (on the laptop) lists it as 'Removable Drive E:' whereas My Computer (on my PC) would list it as 'Sauron J:'.

I try double clicking the drive to access it but the My Computer window stops responding and there are 2 possible outcomes
1. The My Computer window hangs indefinitely until I bring up Task Manager to kill it
2. I get a BSOD (disk.sys or NTFS.sys)

After installed either the v2.01 or v2.1 Updater, if I try to access 'Removable Drive E:', the Updater is launched and it tells me that I would have to restore my iPod. This doesn't make sense at all when my iPod is already loaded to the brim with songs and is formatted for use with Windows.

A couple of strange things happen though. My iPod would display the 'Do Not Disconnect' message and my iPod charges itself while connected to the laptop.

I have tried EphPod and iTunes but they don't seem to detect my iPod at all. I used EphPod to manually select 'Removable Drive E:' but EphPod informs me that the directory structure is not in place and that I would need to create a directory structure. Upon attempting to create a directory structure, EphPod would inform me that it is unable to create the directory and promptly crashes.

I have tried removing the iPod via the Device Manager but the problem recurrs. After all this, my iPod is still working fine and I am able to listen to songs on it normally.

<edit> The IEEE1394 port is working fine. I have a CD-ROM drive which uses the IEEE1394 port to connect to my laptop and it works fine. </edit>

Last edited by Earthling; 12-16-2003 at 11:09 PM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-18-2003, 12:42 AM

Freshman Lounger

I was having the same exact problems on my PC, also running XP pro. Thanksfully I did not get to the BSOD point, but I was getting scared it was XP that was the problem. Its the firewire on the Dell. The firewire card I had was working fine with other devices too, like a DV camera...ect...But my machine would do the exact same thing when the ipod was plugged in. Ipod just does not "like" that card, whatever kind it is. Since it's a laptop...not much you can do if it's integrated. Disable the onboard and get a "certified compatible' one?

Old 12-18-2003, 11:39 PM

Freshman Lounger

Oh shucks. So a purchase of a PCMCIA FireWire card is necessary?
Old 12-19-2003, 12:40 AM

Sadly the PCMCIA route is how you need to go.

You can tinker and try tons of different things - but it's usually not worth the time, nor does it usually work. Laptop built-in ports are notorious for this.

Adam

Old 12-20-2003, 02:36 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by ashawley
Sadly the PCMCIA route is how you need to go.

You can tinker and try tons of different things - but it's usually not worth the time, nor does it usually work. Laptop built-in ports are notorious for this.

Adam
How true. Yesterday evening, while I was on the bus, I tried plugging my iPod into my lappy. To my utter amazement and surprise, my lappy detected my iPod and it worked like a charm. But upon returning home, I tried plugging my iPod into my lappy but it was deja vu all over again. Shucks.

Topic: iPod not being detected by Dell Latitude X200

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.