ipod problems, want to know if it's normal - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: ipod problems, want to know if it's normal

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-25-2007, 02:45 PM

Junior Lounger

ipod problems, want to know if it's normal

hi everyone,

i just recently got my new 80gb ipod video but there are a couple issues concerning me.

- when i'm in photos or playing a video, there is some (small, but noticeable) lag getting back through the menus

- in itunes, i have many songs that don't have an album tag. these songs are not showing up when i go to music--> artist, but show up in the song list in music--> songs. my old 3G ipod would show these songs in music--> artist --> all. do i need to put in album names for all of these songs??

- every time i sync my ipod (auto), itunes tells me it can't find a bunch of songs. i went to the file and double clicked on it so it would play in itunes. this USED to fix this issue for me when it came up.

are these things normal? i'm particularly concerned about the lag because i'd like to take it back to the store within the return period if it's not normal.

i have itunes 7.0.1.8

thanks in advance
Old 01-25-2007, 06:17 PM

ipod rocker!

1st- it is normal because the ipod 5g has a harddrive and it takes a min to get back to what your doing from a a video or from pics.

2nd- i have had this problem too usually i just add a album name from the same artist even though even though it is not on that album.

3d- i have had this problem also i had to search for the songs and then drag them back over to itunes for them to work again

so yeah fairly normal

nanoboy13

5.5 Gen 30 GB White Video, 1st Gen iPod nano white 2GB, and my new 4GB iPod nano/video
Old 01-25-2007, 07:22 PM

Junior Lounger

ok i guess that's good to know although ANNOYING...

when did the album issue start? i never had this problem with my 3G. and actually, just to clarify, if there's only one album for an artist, it doesn't go to the list of albums and show only one, it just goes, for example:

Music --> Artists --> Cat Stevens --> a list of the songs on the one CS album i have, Tea For the Tillerman

meaning, it skips All Songs, a choice you get when there's more than one album for an artist. so that's what i'm trying to figure out if it's normal. seems silly to me for apple to change that.

also, i noticed that all the files that "can't be found" are MPEG Format: MPEG-1, Layer 2

is this also something new the 5.5 ipod is no longer supporting? again, i didn't get these errors with my old ipod (using my current itunes, no less).

please visit www.thehungersite.com daily
----------------------------------------
3G 40GB 6,501 songs
----------------------------------------
Samsung X10 WinXP Pro
1.7P-M, 1024MB, 60GB
Old 01-29-2007, 02:24 PM

Dim
Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralina
ok i guess that's good to know although ANNOYING...

Music --> Artists --> Cat Stevens --> a list of the songs on the one CS album i have, Tea For the Tillerman

meaning, it skips All Songs, a choice you get when there's more than one album for an artist. so that's what i'm trying to figure out if it's normal. seems silly to me for apple to change that.
Yes, apple changed that and I prefer it that way. Saves me an extra click which is a pointless one anyway. However, not sure why songs with no album wouldn't come up under artists. Although I'm not sure why you would have songs with no album tag anyway. I suppose you could always just assign a 'misc' tag or something for those songs.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:36 PM

Apple changed the way albums under artist were displayed in the iPod video and iPod nano firmware. So it does not affect earlier iPod models.

This is called a "bug" but it's a feature that manifests as a bug. As dim suggests this is a wanted feature for people who, if there is only one album for an artist, it would make since to go directly to the album and bypass having to select the album on the screen. The downside is that the iPod reads tags, so if there is a song with no album tag it get's ignored as if it doesn't exist, when it should perhaps automatically be given an "unknown" setting, kind of like it does in iTunes folder.

To fix the bug, give all songs an album tag, even if it's just "unknown" or "single" or "n/a"

This will assure all songs can be found under artists.

This "bug" was actually welcomed by one other user who wanted to by pass the album screen. he had album tags for all the songs, but had like 17 songs, and they were all from different albums. By making all songs have the same album name, he made it go to a single list of songs when selecting the artist. EXACTLY what he wanted, because he didn't care what the album was.

Funny

For the lag, there is some, especially coming out of videos/photos, but I couldn't tell you how much is too much.

Not sure on the missing songs. Do these songs have an exclamation point next to them? Are they iTunes store tracks?

Click the image to open in full size.
5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!

Topic: ipod problems, want to know if it's normal

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.