Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: What's taking up so much space!?!?!?!?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-21-2007, 02:12 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question What's taking up so much space!?!?!?!?

I posted this question before but still need an answer. I have a 60GB 5G video ipod. When it is connected to my PC the itunes software shows a "gas gauge" type indicator at the bottom of the screen. It shows how much hard drive space is taken up on my ipod for music, video, pictures and "other". It is the "other" that confuses me. Right now it shows other as more than 18GB!!!! Right now I have aroung 5500 songs, 1 movie, no TV shows and 3 podcasts. Could this other be my album art? I can't imagine my album art would take up as much space as my music. What else could this be? I'd like to clear some space for moves for my upcoming flight to Mexico. Please help!

Dblcrona

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:21 PM

Freshman Lounger

to check which folders are using that much space, you should go to your ipod drive and examine it.

to do this first enable disk use on itunes.

then go to my computer and from the tools/folder options/view, check "show hidden files and folders".

then again on my computer click on your ipod's drive and go to iPod_Control folder.

here you can find out which folder uses that much space.

in my case I have 56 gb of music and they all have covers. Artwork folder under iPod_Control folder is using 1 gb of space. This is listed under "Other" on itunes.

hope that helps.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:47 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by keremcan
to check which folders are using that much space, you should go to your ipod drive and examine it.
I agree. 18 GB is a whole lot of disk space. Something is not quite right. There has to be a folder in there with alot of files that need to be deleted.
If all else fails, clear your whole iPod then re-sync with iTunes.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:15 PM

First make sure you aren't storing any extra files on the iPod.

If you aren't, it's time for a restore.

What you are likely dealing with are "Ghost files" these are files that get transferred to the iPod, but are not written to the iPod database and therefore show up as "other". This can happen if you disconnect during a sync, or other types of errors happening during a sync.

Things that take up space under other:

album art, iPod database, Contacts, Calanders, iPod games, iPod firmware, and "files on hard disk" (transfered to iPod via "enable disk use" through window's explorer).

Good luck. I bet if you do a restore (after you make sure all your important files are back up), you'll find your other "normalizes"

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:40 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by studogvetmed
Good luck. I bet if you do a restore (after you make sure all your important files are back up), you'll find your other "normalizes"
A restore should definitely help.

When I first got my ipod, I noticed that my files were taking up too much space. I did a restore, and now I've more than doubled my storage capacity. If you think your ipod isn't managing your hard drive space correctly, then you should definitely try a restore.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:34 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks guys!!!!

I did a restore and my "other" went from 18.55 GB down to 514.7MB !!!!! I also went from 13.87GB of free space to 31.89GB !!! Thanks to everyone for all your help. Now I have room to load some movies to watch on my trips to Mexico & Germany!

Thanks again,
Dblcrona

Topic: What's taking up so much space!?!?!?!?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.