Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Changing a "Compilation" to "Artist" or "Album

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-20-2006, 12:15 PM

Junior Lounger

Changing a "Compilation" to "Artist" or "Album

If this has been answered before, sorry. Just got TOny Bennett's new "Duets" loaded and it isn't showing up under "Artist" (Tony Bennett) or "Album" (Duets) but is under "Compilations." Really wanted to move this to "Artists" because I have many of his CDs on the Ipod and would like to play them in continuous rotation. Is it possible to move a "compilation" into the artists' main titles? This also happens with several othr CDs where there is more than one artist appearing on the same CD

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:24 PM

Un-check "Part of a compilation" in each song's tag. Also, if some of the tags have "Tony Bennett and ..." in the Artist field, maybe move that to the "Album Artist" field and leave Artist to be just Tony Bennett; that way they are grouped under one artist entry.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:28 PM

Pro Lounger

yeah, I didn't like that either. I unchecked the compilations option in info of the song.

To do it, you can either do it song by song or by the entire CD by selecting all the songs and doing a batch edit.

per song...
right click, get info, under the second tab I believe where you can edit the song title and artist, down towards the bottom you'll see the compilations box. It'll probably say yes, just switch it to no and click ok.

batch of songs...
select all the songs, right click, get info, on the screen that pops up, down toward the bottom again you'll see the compilations option, just change it, click ok and it'll update all those songs.

Hope that answers your question.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:49 PM

This is a tough one. What do you want more, a nice an concise artist list, or the ability to see some main artists in the artist browse.

You can turn off the compilation feature on the iPod (and still keep the songs marked as compilation for other organization needs). Goto settings and turn off the compilation option on the iPod. There is a similar option in iTunes settings you can turn on/off as well to group the compilations. This is what I would do, but it will mean that more artists appear in the artist browse field.

Rockmyplimsoul's suggestion to append album artist and artist is a valid one, though if you start making the album artist field different across songs it will cause some issues in sorting albums in Coverflow in iTunes.

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 11-22-2006, 08:48 AM

Junior Lounger

Thanks guys. Now another problem. Got everything set up OK in Itunes, but still can't get it to work on the Ipod. Disabled the "compilations" as suggested, but now all the songs in Tony's new CD are simply arranged in a list format. Solved half my problem by arranging all his CDs into a playlist; still, would love to see just his albums/CDs--including the compilations "Duets" done with k.d.lang and "American Classic" with various artists--simply listed on my Ipod under "Albums.

Owell. Any further help would be deeply appreciated
Old 11-22-2006, 11:19 AM

What do you mean by "Simply arranged in list format"?

Make sure you have the album tag, album artist tag, and track numbers and disc numbers filled out correctly for the album.

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 11-24-2006, 10:45 PM

Junior Lounger

I menat I clicked "compilations" in my ipod to "off"--or not working--and now I have a huge list of composers and artists since they are now not "compiled". Happy with my solution though--just making a playlist for folks like Tony Bennett, Miles Davis, Bill Evans Trio and othr artists who play with other artists and Itunes see these CDs as "compilations".

So I don't have Bennetts' "Duets" with kd lang or his newest "American Classic" or a couple Bill Evans piano jazz CDs listed under "Albums" when Itunes thinks they're "compilations"--I can still find these goodies under the playlists for the various artists. And honestly, have spent too much time trying to change formats. On with my life. Better things to do.

thanks for thehelp, gang

Topic: Changing a "Compilation" to "Artist" or "Album

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.