Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Help w/ 4G Color 30GB -- Center button/select STUCK

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-13-2006, 08:36 PM

Freshman Lounger

Help w/ 4G Color 30GB -- Center button/select STUCK

I started having a problem with my 30GB 4G ipod color, I couldn't figure out what was wrong at first, but now I have enough information to hopefully explain it well enough to get a good answer here.

Basically, it acts as if the center button/select button on the touch wheel is constantly pressed -- if I go to press play, the ipod acts as if the select button has been pressed, and advances the menu. If I try to go back one menu by pressing the menu button, I can usually get it to go back, but immediately thereafter (after taking my finger off the menu button), it advances one menu again as if I pressed the select button.

I've tried: Restoring my ipod, and resetting it manually (pressing menu and select for 6 sec). I don't mind opening up this thing myself to find the problem, as I don't have any type of insurance/warantee on it. Is there something in there I should be looking for?

Thanks for th help, I hope I can resolve this issue with your help.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:01 PM

Veteran Lounger

Sounds like you have a bad momentary switch for the button, and that you need a new clickwheel. (Big suprise) You can't just replace the center button as far as I know.

Here's a new 4G clickwheel from iPodMods.com for US$60.

freerice - a vocab quiz that donates rice
Old 11-13-2006, 09:50 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA
Sounds like you have a bad momentary switch for the button, and that you need a new clickwheel. (Big suprise) You can't just replace the center button as far as I know.

Here's a new 4G clickwheel from iPodMods.com for US$60.
Thanks for the quick reply. Just to clarify my previous question, i was wondering if there was something that could be repaired underneath the clickwheel, but I guess that's not possible. I just took the ipod apart and didn't realize that I had to use a T6 screwdriver...all that effort for nothing. I was able to blow underneath a little bit to see if there was any "conductive dirt" as I saw referred to on another thread in this forum, but I can't test it out to varify.

Anyways, I restored it, and I can't connect to an external power supply to complete the restore (since I don't have one handy). Is there anyway to get it to complete the restore without an external power supply? I'll search the forums, and hopefully find a way to do this.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:59 PM

Veteran Lounger

I suggest you beg/borrow/steal an iPod power adapter from a friend of yours (FireWire ones work too, I've used both) or head down to the local computer/electronics store to pick up a generic iPod wall charger (they work as well as the Genuine Apple ones but cost way less).

freerice - a vocab quiz that donates rice
Old 11-17-2006, 04:08 PM

mrdantownsend

If you are courageous enough and extremely careful you could pry apart your iPod at the metal and plastic [easy part] and unscrew the logic board, unscrew the clickwheel, and see whats wrong with it

Topic: Help w/ 4G Color 30GB -- Center button/select STUCK

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.