Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: installing preowned IPOD

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-09-2003, 03:43 PM

Freshman Lounger

installing preowned IPOD

Please help. I have purchased a pre owned 10GB IPOD for my daughter for Xmas but it did not come with any of the installation software or instructions. I have four simple questions and yes I did read past posts and the FAQ's and those did answer quite a few of my questions.

1) The IPOD is charging, has been for quite some time (@3 hrs now). Is this usually a long process??

2) Once it finishes charging will I be able to see how the IPOD is formatted? The seller said it was formatted for Windows.

3) Where can I download or obtain the installation software? Is that what ya'll refer to as "Updater 2.1"? And then I need to download/install ITUNES also, correct?

4) I am going to install it on my work computer at first but after we update the home computer (upgrade to Windows 2000) I will want to install it on that computer also. Is there any problem installing it on more than one computer?

I greatly appreciate your help and understanding.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-09-2003, 03:56 PM

Pro Lounger

1). yes, 2nd gen 4 hours, don't know about 3rd gen, but I would think it would be the same.
2). If there is enough power to turn it on then there is enough to see what the format is.
3). Apple.com. Is the ipod 2nd or 3rd gen? 2nd uses only 1.3 the 3rd can use 2.1.
4). I don't know, but there should not be.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:04 PM

Software Developer

1) 3rd gen also takes 4 hours for a complete charge cycle.

2) What revmike said

3) You don't need any installation software. Just install iTunes and then attach the iPod to your system. iTunes will see it and you'll be all set. The "Updater 2.1" is a program from Apple that updates the firmware on the iPod. This will give the iPod itself added functionality. You only need this if you want to upgrade the firmware. It is also quite possible that the person you bought it from already has done that.

4) What are you going to install? iTunes? If you sync your iPod with your work computer and then later want to start syncing with your home computer, this can be done but you'll want to be careful. If you go to sync on the new computer without the new computer having anything in the iTunes music library, all the songs on the iPod will be removed.

Shadow
Mac Pro
MacBook Pro 17"
Old 12-09-2003, 04:09 PM

Freshman Lounger

preowned 10GB IPOD

Thanks for your replies. It has now charged and it is formatted for 3.1 so I guess it is a 2nd gen. So all I need to do is download ITUNES? I want to use ITUNES so I can set up an allowance account for the daughter unit. ? Does Musicmatch work just as well?

Many thanks for your expert help. I spent 3 hours looking for answers on Apple's site and other sites and got my answers in five minutes with ya'll.!!
Old 12-09-2003, 04:12 PM

And some links:

Updater

iTunes

iPod Manual for Windows

There isn't a problem installing that software on multiple computers, you can install it on as many as you'd like.

Adam

Old 12-09-2003, 04:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

Adam, thank you. One very primal question. How do I turn it off?????
Old 12-09-2003, 06:54 PM

...from berlin

press the (>||) button for more than 4 sec. then the ipod turns of.

and btw, adam !
do you remember the posting in the windows-software section (http://ipodlounge.com/forums/showthr...threadid=16333).
you closed the threat, after i posted a link to the ipod updater software from apple. now you post exactly the same. hat is going on. do we got a 2 class society in the lounge ? moderators are allowed to, members not ?

grimmets ipod workaround
german ipod misc.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:42 PM

You're right grimmet, it's all part of a big conspiracy. Mods want to take over the world and this is just the first step.

Seriously, I seemed to remember that that link was a link to a non-apple location for the Updater.

My link above is just to Apple's site--nothing wrong w/that.

Now, if you're link was just to Apple, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have deleted it--can't imagine I'd do that, but I'm sorry if I did.

Adam

Topic: installing preowned IPOD

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.