Endless recovery mode - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Endless recovery mode

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-09-2006, 11:48 AM

Freshman Lounger

Endless recovery mode

I'm using a iPod Mini, Software Version is 1.4.1.

I was not able to input any new songs into my iPod for awhile and have no idea what is going on. Today, I just downloaded and installed iTunes 7.0.2.16. And then this message pop out when I start the iTunes:

"iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes."

So, I went to click the restore button to restore my iPod, but after all the process of restoring. That message pop out again. It is just like an infinite loop.

Can anyone tell me how to deal with this?

Thank you.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:58 AM

Welcome to iLounge,

This article on recovery mode suggests that if you get this message again after restoring you may have to change the drive letter of the iPod.

Good luck, report back if changing the drive letter helps.

Click the image to open in full size.
5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 11-10-2006, 08:33 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thank you, changing the drive letter does help me get out of this endless recovery loop.

However, I noticed that I need to take more than 5 minutes to download one song into my iPod Mini now and 60% of the time there is a message pop out that unable to write into my iPod, I spend a whole night and can only download 5 songs into my iPod. Can anyone give me a hand on how to fix this problem?

Thank you.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:30 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question Endless recovery loop

I'm having exactly the same problem. I thought I had downloaded over 1000 songs but had to leave it overnight to do it because it was taking sooooo long. PC said it was done but then could not find any songs on the iPod mini. Have recovered iPod 4 times now and I'm not getting anywhere. Didn't find changing the drive number helped at all.
Anybody got any more suggestions apart from scraping the iPod?
Old 11-24-2006, 08:19 PM

Pro Lounger

Put the iPod into Diagnostic Mode (see link below in my signature) and run the hard drive test (from the IO menu). See if it passes the tests there.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:59 PM

Freshman Lounger

same problem

I have the same problem but mine is a ipod classic 160 gigs.. its asking me to restore it but i have to erase my media.. how can i save it!? :O
Old 01-07-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomtask42 View Post
I have the same problem but mine is a ipod classic 160 gigs.. its asking me to restore it but i have to erase my media.. how can i save it!? :O
Some endless recovery modes are caused by a bad driver letter on the iPod.

Click the image to open in full size.
5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 04-29-2010, 12:12 AM

Freshman Lounger

i was having the same problem, and i tried everything but nothing seem to work. but i finally fix my Ipod classic, im not really sure what fix it , but this is what i did before the last restore that got the job done.

i went into itunes preferences,
disable check for updates automatically.
connected my ipod in disk mode
for some reason in my head thought that putting some files in the ipod (drag them using windows) could help, maybe itunes it wasnt erasing the ipod right cause it was already "empty", (since i did the restore like a hundred times!!!) . ( i used a couple a songs)
clicked on retore, and it ask me if i wanted to connect to internet to check for updates. i said no , and it told me that i already had an installed version 1.2 i think, and if i wanted to use the same one . i clicked yes

and after the restore everything went back to normal

ohh i also remove music from itunes before the restore , also thought it could help. because of the drive letter issues , etc etc. cause im using an external hard drive to store all my music.

i dont know what did it. but u might wanna give it a try.
now im not sure if i want to update , hehe
Old 02-07-2011, 09:14 PM

Freshman Lounger

I know this is old, but I was having this problem. and fazigu's fix worked for me.
I added one file (an .mp3) and did the restore again, and voila it worked!

Topic: Endless recovery mode

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.