Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Itunes 7.1 vs. 5th Gen Ipod...will not connect!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 11-08-2006, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamEFX
wow...I'm actually adding songs onto my ipod again.

Studogvetmed thank you so much man. Seriously you have made my day!!!
Disk mode is a little extra push for the computer to think of the iPod as a removable hard drive, it bypasses (I think) some of the iPod firmware stuff to help the computer recognize it.

While in disk mode you can't access any of the regular iPod functions on the iPod itself, you have to reset it.

Sometimes putting it into disk mode once and getting it to connect will allow it to be recognized from here on out, though sometimes a restore after in disk mode and recognized will help with this.

Good luck!

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:43 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question Itunes and Windows will not see iPod

Man I hope that you can help....
I am having the same issue that dreamfx is having with the iPod. I have tried EVERYTHING that I can find on how to make itunes and my iPod see each other...
I tried reloading till I have all of the prompts memorized. I had hoped that putting the iPod in disc mode... as you suggest would help... no dice.
My cable and my iPod are good, they work just fine on my pc at work with an older version of iTunes.

Any words of wisdom?
Old 11-11-2006, 11:48 PM

Welcome to iLounge dhamilto,

Does the computer see the iPod? If so, you might be able to reformat in window's explorer first and then have the iPod available to be restored in iTunes...

This is the last resort to actually reformat the drive in Windows and then see if the iPod updater can then restore it...

If windows can see, try to get your music off from the iPod_control hidden folder if you don't already have a back up of your music...

If you have access to a mac computer, sometimes you can restore an iPod on a mac and then bring it back to a PC and restore it...

Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 11-12-2006, 12:39 AM

Freshman Lounger

studiogvetmed,
Thanks for the quick response !
If I right click 'my computer>manage>device manager... it shows as"other devices" listed as 'ipod with a question mark and exclamation point.
If I right click on the 'iPod, at this point a drop down appears and gives me the option to update driver. I have tried that with the original iPod disc that I received with the iPod.
It does not find the driver in any way shape or form.

I have deleted all previous versions of quicktime,itunes and all iPod software that is lurking within my pc... then dumped the recycle bin.

And then installed the original iTunes and iPod updater that came with my iPod.
Itunes will come up, but still will not see the iPod. If I go to the iPod Updater and select,
I get an error message and windows wants to tell microsoft all about it

I have the newest version of iTunes 7.0.2.16.
Is the iPod updater automatic with the new iTunes? I can not find an icon or selection to access this feature with the new iTunes.

Here is the error log from iTunes, iPod diagnostics....

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 8200
iTunes 7.0.2.16

iPodService 7.0.2.16 is currently running.
iTunesHelper 7.0.2.16 is currently running.

Current user is an administrator.

Connected Storage Devices:
IDE\DiskMAXTOR_6L080L4__________________________A9 3.0500, Bus Type ATA, Bus Address [0,0]

Universal Serial Bus Controllers:
Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442, PCI bus 0, device 31, function 2. Device is working properly.
Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444, PCI bus 0, device 31, function 4. Device is working properly.

No IEEE 1394 Host Controller found.

The iPod Service Logging Information:
[SERVICE: 0x80C,21:16:04 INFO] Started C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe (Sat Nov 11 21:16:04 2006)
[SERVICE: 0x80C,21:16:04 INFO] ##### iPodService starting as a service, version: 7.0.2.16
[SERVICE: 0x830,21:16:04 INFO] Got signaled to go ahead... Starting device manager!
[SERVICE: 0x864,21:16:04 INFO] Listener Window created
[SERVICE: 0x864,21:16:17 INFO] [DevNodesChanged]
[SERVICE: 0x864,21:16:18 INFO] [DevNodesChanged]
[SERVICE: 0x864,21:16:24 INFO] [DevNodesChanged]
[SERVICE: 0x864,21:16:47 INFO] [DevNodesChanged]
[SERVICE: 0x864,21:16:47 INFO] [DevNodesChanged]
[SERVICE: 0x864,21:16:48 INFO] [DevNodesChanged]
[SERVICE: 0x864,21:16:48 INFO] [DevNodesChanged]
[SERVICE: 0x864,21:16:54 INFO] [DevNodesChanged]
[SERVICE: 0x864,21:17:38 INFO] [DevNodesChanged]
[SERVICE: 0x864,21:22:30 INFO] [DevNodesChanged]
[SERVICE: 0x864,21:22:30 INFO] [DevNodesChanged]
[SERVICE: 0x864,21:22:56 INFO] [DevNodesChanged]
[SERVICE: 0x864,21:22:56 INFO] [DevNodesChanged]
[SERVICE: 0x864,21:23:24 INFO] [DevNodesChanged]

I may be able to find a mac and restore...and I do have all of the music backed up on dvd, but not in an iTunes library(due to harddrive crash)....
However, I am afraid that this may not fix the problem since my computer with iTunes at work can see this iPod.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:02 AM

Ack, if another computer can see it that makes me wonder what it doesn't like about yours...

iTunes 7 has the updater built in, but iTunes will need to see the iPod to run it.

You've tried everything in the troubleshooting guide in the link in my signature (iPod not recognized)?

Do you have the option to format the iPod if you right click the drive in windows explorer?

Links to common ?'s
Old 11-12-2006, 01:20 AM

Freshman Lounger

Red face

I have tried everything in your link at least thrice, even before I found this forum.

The only place I have found that my pc sees this iPod is if I right click 'my computer>manage>device manager... it shows as"other devices" listed as 'ipod with a question mark and exclamation point.

The iPod does not show up if I right click "Start>explore, I only see my harddrive and cd/dvd drive... my thumbdrive will show up when it is connected, nor does the iPod show up if I select 'My Computer on my desktop. This holds true whether I have regular iPod mode or disc drive selected on my iPod.

I have actually been banging around with this problem for the last couple of months, with no results. At this point I am willing to try anything so that I can get some new material on my iPod.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:28 AM

Freshman Lounger

studogvetmed,
Something else that I find interesting/frustrating is the fact that I can not load iTunes/quickTime as a single package from Apple.
When I load the newest version of iTunes... I have to load quickTime seperately and before I load iTunes.
If I load as a single package, I get the infamous error message that "windows wants to tell microsoft about this problem" and iTunes will not open.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:38 AM

Then you need to try: Trouble installing iTunes or QuickTime software in Windows The steps to truly uninstall the old quicktime are the key.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 11-12-2006, 09:08 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question

cjmnews,
Thanks for the info...
That does allow me to load iTunes/quickTime as a package.

My pc still will not see the iPod.
When I plug in my iPod the "New Hardware Wizard" appears and will try to find the driver for my iPod... no luck. (I have even told it to look on the original disc that I received with my iPod)
It seems as that windows can not find the driver that my iPod needs.

Does anyone know where this driver is located and what the name is so that I can tell the "New Hardware Wizard" where to look for the driver?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2006, 09:38 PM

Freshman Lounger

studogvetmed,
You mentioned getting the music off of my iPod onto a pc to back up my music.
My pc from work, which does see my iPod, is here at home with me this weekend.

How can I transfer all of my music to my work pc so that I can use my work pc to restore?

Thanks
Old 11-13-2006, 11:38 AM

For recognition issues see:
iPod not recognized and Windows Device Manager is empty
iPod missing in "My Computer" or in iTunes on Windows
iTunes for Windows: iTunes 7 doesn't recognize iPod
iPod appears in Windows Explorer but not in iTunes 7 or later

For the new hardware wizard, three options may work.
1. Ignore it, just close the window.
2. Tell it to look in C:\windows\inf.
3. Reset iPod while connected to PC.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 11-13-2006, 04:56 PM

Freshman Lounger

Insanity is defined as doing the same thing the same way, over and over again... expecting the results to be different.

Here is what I know for sure.

I am able to load iTunes and Quicktime as a single package, version 6.0.x.x that came on cd with my iPod (which includes a seperate iPod Updater ver 2005-10-12), version 6.0.xx from Apple, and the newest version of 7.0.xx from Apple.
At this point I have no problems opening any version of iTunes.

When I connect my iPod to my pc, a balloon appears and says" New Hardware Detected" .
The balloon knows that what is connected is an iPod.
The found New Hardware Wizard appears and tries to find the driver for my iPod... no luck.
I then try with the cd that came with my iPod... nothing.
I have told the new hardware wizard to look in c:\windows\inf. as suggested earlier... nope.
I have also completely ignored the hardware wizard and proceeded on.

After this I try to find my iPod in "My Computer"-> manage-> device manager.
It shows my iPod as"Other Devices-> iPod" with a question mark and an exclamation point.
If I go to my disc manager... I am shown my harddrive, my dvd player and my dvd/cd burner. No ipod to be found.
If I go to Start-> Explore same thing... no iPod, however if my thumb drive is connected, in it does show as an external drive.
Basically my pc does not see this iPod as an external disc drive. (even when the iPod is in disc mode)

I was able with PodUtil to back up all of my music from my iPod to my work pc. I then tried to restore my iPod with the iTunes version on my work pc. I could not find the tab that the Apple website talks about in the instructions to restore. The version of iTunes on my work pc is 6.0.5.xx.

I have been thru all of the troubleshooting steps that are listed on the Apple website.
I have reset while connected to my pc.
I have switched to disc mode and rebooted my pc.
I have let the battery run completely down then connected to my pc with iTunes running.
I have made sure that my battery is fully charged.

I have also looked at all of the suggestions that have been presented to me on this forum.
I would like to say that I appreciate all of the help that I have been given.

At this point I think that there are only three things that I have not tried yet...
I have not restored my iPod... this iPod operates perfectly on my work pc.
I have not done Windows Installer Cleanup... due to the amount of programs that I have that would need to be reloaded.
I have not stripped down my machine and reloaded Windows XP.... yet.

Any help or suggestions from any one will be appreciated more than you will know.
I will keep checking back in hopes of finding the answer to this problem.
And in the mean time... my home pc is a great battery charger for my iPod.

Thank you,
dhamilto
Old 11-20-2006, 02:20 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have been having the same problem, but the suggested solutions did not work. All that happened is I lost all of my music on the iPod because it reset itself somehow. My first question is whether or not there is a driver problem on the iPod itself, because like DreamEFX, it is only my iPod that is having problems (which had problems only after I connected it to iTunes 7.0). My second question is whether or not there is a way to recover the music on my iPod because I got a virus on my laptop and had to blow out the hard drive. I have a little bit of the music on disc, but not nearly what I had on my iPod. Help me please!!!
Old 11-21-2006, 07:57 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hi indeed you are a genius i had a problem posted on another thread been in the same boat for weeks and you solved it, thank you very much
Old 11-22-2006, 08:39 AM

Freshman Lounger

That was for moderator dude regarding using disk mode. This worked. After i updated i took it out of disk mode and plugged it again and it worked like regular. After i restarted pc it went back to the way it was, and i had to put it in disk mode again. I know you say to do a restore on the ipod but im just wondering why this is doing it. My ipod is fully charged, cable is fine. If i dont put it into disk mode i get usb mass storage device (ipod) cannot start (Code 10). Just glad i can update ipod again. All this started after i installed OE drivers for a sony ericsson k800i but ive uninstalled everything (not to mention itunes) a dozen times and still couldnt resolve the problem

Topic: Itunes 7.1 vs. 5th Gen Ipod...will not connect!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.