Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Possible to download non ITunes songs onto iPod???

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-29-2006, 06:30 PM

Freshman Lounger

Possible to download non ITunes songs onto iPod???

I'm a complete newbie and went online last night and found numerous sites have have songs a lot less than ITunes .99 a song.

I've compliled a playlist and it does show up under the ITunes menu as Shared Files (the vehicle is MP3 Rocket).

My question is 1) can you download "non-ITunes" songs on my iPod and 2) how do you get the songs in the Shared Files section actually onto the iPod?

Thanks for your help.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:08 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
1) can you download "non-ITunes" songs on my iPod
You can load mp3's on to your iPod, but if you bought them from another source they'er probably protected wma files which will not load.

Quote:
2) how do you get the songs in the Shared Files section
You can not load files from a Shared source, the files must be on your computer in iTunes library to put them on your iPod. You may listen to them in iTunes. If they are on your computer you can add them to iTunes library as long as they are not protected wma.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 10-29-2006, 07:39 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkee
You can load mp3's on to your iPod, but if you bought them from another source they'er probably protected wma files which will not load.

You can not load files from a Shared source, the files must be on your computer in iTunes library to put them on your iPod. You may listen to them in iTunes. If they are on your computer you can add them to iTunes library as long as they are not protected wma.

So what about all these download sites that offer cheap iPod songs? Also this means that everybody is paying .99 a song? Gets expensive after awhile!
Old 10-29-2006, 07:59 PM

Message me for Audiobook

No you don't have to buy from itunes - I never have, never will.
Song from the itunes store are protected and will only play on the ipod, songs bought from places like napster, urge have a different protection and will only play on some other brands of players.
All players will play mp3s , either rip them from your CDs or buy them from e-music.

can you list the sites or check and you will see that they are probably protected WMA music (won't play on your ipod)
Thats is the lovely thing about DRM - sucks doesn't it - they lock you into a player.
Like I said, buy the Cds and rip them.

- goldcoaster
Old 10-29-2006, 10:34 PM

Veteran Lounger

Tracks purchased from the RealPlayer Music Store will transfer to iPods using RealPlayer 10.5, but if you then try to sync the iPod with iTunes in automatic mode, it will erase them.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:40 PM

Pro Lounger

I would never buy any DRM protected music. Everyone of my songs have been ripped from CD. Why download 128kbs MP3 music from the likes of iTunes when you can buy a CD, rip it to MP3 VBR format, and have the audio sound so much better?

Besides, if anyone is using Rockbox, it's probably better to rip music to either Ogg Vorbis (A lossly CODEC) or Flac (Which is a lossless CODEC)

iPod Touch 4G 64GB-iPod Classic 160GB - Cowon X7 160GB - iRiver H320
Old 10-30-2006, 12:55 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
So what about all these download sites that offer cheap iPod songs? Also this means that everybody is paying .99 a song? Gets expensive after awhile!
As long as the songs are unprotected mp3 files you can download to your computer, you will be able to load them on your iPod. You will need to add the files to iTunes in order to load them on your iPod.

Now the moral issues, after visiting MP3 Rocket's site, it's a P2P service where you may or may not be downloading copyright protected music. You will also increase your chances of downloading and installing a virus by mistake. In certain areas of the world you can get away with it, although it's only a matter of time before the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) in the US starts going after the users of this service. Read MP3 Rocket's Legal statement carefully, 99 cents a song is cheap if you get sued by the RIAA who likes to go after file traders in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3 Rocket's Legal Statement
File sharing is not illegal so long as you abide by all relevant copyright laws. Sharing copyrighted material without the permission to do so is illegal.
Quote:
MP3 Rocket Inc does not condone piracy or breaking copyright laws. The MP3 sharing tools available on through our members area are powerful search tools & we recommend that you use your discretion when downloading music and movie files.
Quote:
Purchasing a membership in MP3 Rocket Inc does not give you license to download or upload copyright material. MP3 Rocket Inc implores you to respect copyright laws and share responsibly.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac

Last edited by Sparkee; 10-30-2006 at 01:02 AM.

Topic: Possible to download non ITunes songs onto iPod???

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.