Preventing iTunes from deleting/overwriting/creating duplicates?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Karson

Previously I had been using Ephpod to manually transfer music back and forth between my PC and our 3 iPods, but I'm switching to iTunes because it's been very difficult to keep the music in sync with the entries in my various playlists as my music collection has grown (unless someone knows a non-iTunes way of copying playlists to the iPod where the tool will check the iPod for music first then copy over only what's required?). I've heard iTunes has some gotchas though, so can anyone tell me what setting(s) I need to set to ensure that:

1. iTunes will under no circumstances overwrite a song in my PC collection?

2. iTunes will under no circumstances delete a cong in my PC collection?

3. iTunes will allow me to isolate "new" music from my PC collection, i.e. if a friend loads some albums on to my iPod and I do a sync, can I make those new additions go to a special folder so they don't disappear into my larger collection?

Any advice would be appreciated, as well as any other iTunes tips to prevent it from collecting my precious music collection! Thanks folks!

cjmnews

Staff member
1. No song has ever been overwritten by iTunes in my collection
2. No song has ever been deleted by iTunes in my collection
3. iTunes has a recently added smart playlist where new songs that have been added reside as well as getting put into the larger collection.

I use iTunes to automatic sync to specific playlists to manage 2 iPods (4 GB Mini, 30 GB video) with my 14 GB library of music, audiobooks (self made and audible), podcasts and videos. Zero problems in the last 1.7 years.

Advice: Try not to use 3rd party tools like Ephpod. Don't use limewire. Backup your library regularly. Don't forget to backup your iTunes .itl and .xml files too. Don't try to have songs on your iPod and not on your PC. Use nested smart playlists to mix and manage your music (not written by me) http://filebox.vt.edu/users/channum/files/smartlist_management_v3.1.pdf