How to stop the Gapless check!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
Ok, how do I stop iTunes form doing its "gapless check" on my whole library? iTunes help says that you need to have Crossfade Playback enabled, but that doesn't seem to be cutting it here. Do I just need to let iTunes run it's way through 80,000 tracks and get it over with?

fs.freshman

i found that to be annoying as well. i couldnt find a way to stop it apart from clicking the X eaxh time.... in the end i gave up and just let it do what it obviously wanted to do -.- .....

Code Monkey

After you update, go grab a cup of coffee and make a sandwich and watch a movie :)

I only had 25,000 files but the process was definitely not for the attention deficit.

thedp

Website
www.bloodware.net
I don't really understand what it's for??
What will happen if I stop it with the X and then put the songs on the iPod???

PetiePal

As far as I understand, the gapless function is for albums of that share the same name. Say for instance you were listening to Pink Floyd's The Wall. Songs kind of mesh into one another and in the past the song would stop as it ended and went to the next one. Now the change is fluid and that second "gap" is gone.

It's really good for artists like Floyd or if you have a big mix dance/techno album that the songs are supposed to mix in together. If you don't let the check run, you just won't get the benefit on your iPod. You can do it at any time. I recommend just letting it go. It took me about 2 hours with over 27k songs.

thedp

Website
www.bloodware.net
The reason I don't want to do it, because I working with 2 music libraries.
My for my iPod and the other for my girlfriend's... And as you all know it's a night mare to load a big library each time.

If you ask me, I think it's a stupid idea for the iTunes to do this before I even copy the music to the iPod. Instead, when I'm copying an album to the iPod then scan, I'm telling you, some times I don't know why like the Apple company.

archurban

ipod adviser
Website
web.mac.com
gapless playback is great. I have few live concert music which play for long hours. it contiuned to ley me listen without gap or cut off. it also helps me to listen to remix albums like trance, techno genre. it just works seemlessly. classical music I have couple. it's very good.

but you guys have wanted apple to make it happen for a long time because I red a lot of posts on this demand. now, you complain? weird.

thedp

Website
www.bloodware.net
But it takes to long... (if you load the library over and over again :()
They should have let the user decide where does he want that feature.

Don't forget that many songs this is very annoying and sometimes ruin the song's ending.

Sime

thedp said:
But it takes to long... (if you load the library over and over again :()
They should have let the user decide where does he want that feature.

Don't forget that many songs this is very annoying and sometimes ruin the song's ending.

It only scans the library once you twit!!

thedp

Website
www.bloodware.net
No it's not!
Lets try it again:
I have my library containing 4GB of music.
And I have my g/f's library with her songs.

I've created the libraries seperetly and exported each to a different XML file.
So when I want to Import any of the libraries to iTunes I first need to remove all the songs in the current library, and then I can import the new library (otherwise the imported library will be mixed with the current one.)
And with each such import, iTunes SCANS THE FILES!!!

BTW, the Export/Import feature is pretty lame and very annoying, does any know of a better way to have 2 different libraries on the computer without the Export/Import?

Code Monkey

thedp said:
No it's not!
Lets try it again:

I've created the libraries seperetly and exported each to a different XML file.
So when I want to Import any of the libraries to iTunes I first need to remove all the songs in the current library, and then I can import the new library (otherwise the imported library will be mixed with the current one.)
And with each such import, iTunes SCANS THE FILES!!!
So, what you're carping about is that you can no longer use iTunes in a completely unintended fashion and that somehow this is Apple's fault?

Why not just create a separate user account, it lets you use completely separate libraries (or the same library but with separate ratings, playlists, etc.).

thedp

Website
www.bloodware.net
it's not apple's fault...
I just think they should have given the user the option to define it per album and not like idiots go through the entire library.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
Well, I just let mine go last night. No harm I suppose, At least won't won't keep being annoying.

Code Monkey

thedp said:
it's not apple's fault...
I just think they should have given the user the option to define it per album and not like idiots go through the entire library.
Obviously you aren't real familiar with Apple's design philosophy ;)

This would require the user to A) know there was a new gapless function, B) such a function required iTunes to set metadata flags for the first and last frames of music, C) then make a choice about whether to index the whole library or set it manually for each album they wanted it. That's 3 steps too much of thought for the way Apple sets default behaviors.

Going by your logic, iTunes should never set a default library location, import format, etc., but all of these things are on by default.

pInK

Mine's "Determining gapless playback information" every single time I open iTunes regardless of what I intend to do in that session. It slows everything down; I can't even open the shopping cart without an interminable delay. Sometimes I see the same song titles being analyzed, although they spent hours analyzing them the day before. I want to turn the danged thing off just so I can use the application!