Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Suddenly ipod won't play checked songs, Help!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-21-2006, 12:47 PM

Freshman Lounger

Suddenly ipod won't play checked songs, Help!

I have 30G iPod video. Have had it since December along with 2 other 30G ipod video that my sons have. I keep all music on my iPod, have the 'update all songs' selected. I then check the songs that go on my sons iPods, they are checked 'update only checked songs'. Well suddenly since my update on Tuesday the checked songs will not play on my iPod. When I shufffle it shows them for just a second and then skips on to the next song, skipping again if it is a checked songs and playing if it is unchecked.

Anyone have ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks
Michele

Last edited by moodymom44; 07-21-2006 at 01:04 PM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:06 PM

Welcome to iLounge. Try these troubleshooting tips:

-First try resetting the iPod.
How to reset iPod
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705

-If your talking about iTunes then it will not play unchecked songs unless you click on them and you can't see checked/unchecked songs on the iPod because those checks don't transfer to the iPod. Do you have a checked/unchecked song playlist?

-Try using a different USB port and update the iPod again. The songs are skipping because the tags are there but not the actual song file.

Post back.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:46 PM

Freshman Lounger

Ok, there is more to this story, I didn't realize this might have caused the problem. Maybe I should try to explain the whole thing.

My son was updating all the iPods on Tuesday.

First he plugged his in, update and eject fine. Then he plugged in other son's "Brendan's iPod' it updated but when he tried to eject got a message like 'cannot eject, files from Brendan's iPod are in use' (What does this mean and what should we do if this happens in the future?) He told me, I said just go ahead and unplug it.

Then he plugged mine in to update, he says to me, 'it thinks your's is Brendan's iPod' it came up as Brendan's iPod instead of Michele's iPod. I didn't pay much attention, was on my way out of town, literally going out the door. Next day, I turn iPod on notice I only have 600 songs, like my sons instead of my usual 2900, and none of the songs will play.

When I get home, I connect to computer, it still brings my iPod up as Brendan's. I think, OK I'll just change the name back to Michele's and change all the settings back to the way mine were. It updated all the unchecked songs, I thought all would be OK, but now it still doesn't play those original 600 songs I had after Tuesday mess up. Those songs play on Brendan's iPod fine. And all these somgs play fine on iTunes.

Is there some way to get those checked songs (tags only it seems) off my ipod and put back on?

Last edited by moodymom44; 07-21-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:04 PM

Senior Lounger

hi moodymom!

... okay, i'm checking on a weird version of this issue, that can sometimes produce an ipod "identity switch":

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93499 (Windows confuses iPod with network drive and may keep iPod from mounting or songs may seem to disappear)

what happens is a doubled version of a drive letter confusion. first windows confuses Brendan's ipod with one of your drives, and an "ipod_control" folder (containing the ipod songs and most of the ipod preferences) ends up on the drive rather than the ipod.

then when you plug in your ipod, Windows confuses your ipod with the drive, itunes reads the preferences in the ipod_control folder that has made its way onto that drive, and so it thinks that Brendan's ipod has been plugged in instead of yours.

so, if you change the drive letter of your ipod, does it show up in itunes as your ipod again?
Old 07-21-2006, 03:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

Sorry, I am a newbie, don't know what a drive letter is. Not sure what to do with the information from the last post.

Is there any way to just clear my iPod and load all the songs all over again? Or is this a bad idea.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:48 PM

Senior Lounger

hiya!

did you click on the link and work through the instructions in this troubleshooting document?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93499 (Windows confuses iPod with network drive and may keep iPod from mounting or songs may seem to disappear)
Old 07-22-2006, 01:30 AM

Freshman Lounger

Worked through that and changing drive letter, updating didn't help.

I have song tags but no songs, any way to fix that?
Old 07-22-2006, 11:01 AM

Just use the Updater (www.apple.com/ipod/download) and restore the iPod back to factory settings. This will erase the iPod.

Always check Apple support (www.apple.com/support) when your having problems with the iPod.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

honeybee1236

One more question about using the updater. We currently have 4 iPods with video all using the same computer. Will I be able to reset only 1 to the factory settings or will this afffect all of them?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2006, 12:45 PM

The Updater will restore only the iPod that is attached to it at the time. Just read the Updater screen and it will guide you though the process.

Topic: Suddenly ipod won't play checked songs, Help!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.