Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How get iTunes to initially recognize a new, second iPod?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 06-12-2006, 12:01 AM

Freshman Lounger

How get iTunes to initially recognize a new, second iPod?

I have read quite a few threads, and Apple's help document, on using two iPods on one computer. I have set the first iPod to manual synch, and am ready to do the same with the second iPod.

However, how do I get it to first recognize the new iPod? Dont I have to input the serial number, etc. I couldnt find directions for doing that anywhere, and I didnt find anything in the iTunes menus to do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (as my wife has a 2G paper weight until I can get some music on it... )

Thanks in advance.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:26 AM

Actually, all you should need to do is just plug it in, as you would have with your first iPod, and it should take you through the same setup wizard, asking you to name the iPod, choose automatic or manual sync, and so forth.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:27 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for quick response.

I actually did try to plug it in, and Windows opened a window, similar to when I plug in a thumb drive, but iTunes didnt do anything (and it was open).

Is there a way to manually start the setup wizard? That is exactly what I want to do...

Thanks again.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:31 AM

If you look under "My Computer", do you see your iPod listed as a device in there? If so, can you access anything on it?

Normally, it should be a matter of just plugging it in, and iTunes should just detect it automatically. However, if Windows isn't seeing it as a drive letter, or cannot read it for some reason, then this would prevent iTunes from recognizing it as an iPod.

You could try restarting iTunes while the iPod is connected and see if it picks it up. Also, if Windows itself cannot read it as an external drive (ie, if you have an error when trying to access it), I would run the iPod Updater and "Restore" it. This will reformat it, and may assist Windows in detecting it properly (and therefore, by extension, iTunes).

Old 06-12-2006, 08:34 AM

~tl

It might be worth using the latest iPod Updater to restore the firmware on your second iPod. Hopefully after doing that it'll be detected by iTunes.

TOM
Old 06-12-2006, 09:11 AM

Freshman Lounger

I am not working on it at this moment, so I cant try these things until this evening.

However, last night, when I first plugged it in, Windows did recognize it under "My Computer." I will try the suggestions, including running updater and/or launching iTunes after the iPod is attached.

So I assume that when I get the wizard to run, I will enter the serial number, info, etc for the new iPod, and then iTunes should allow me to run both iPods from the same iTunes...

Thanks again for all of the quick and helppful responses.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:29 AM

~tl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbdr
So I assume that when I get the wizard to run, I will enter the serial number, info, etc for the new iPod, and then iTunes should allow me to run both iPods from the same iTunes...
You don't even need to enter the serial number... it should just work

TOM
Old 06-14-2006, 07:26 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks so much for all of your help. I ran updater, and it went perfect from there.

Thanks again.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:58 AM

Freshman Lounger

dont know if this is the same but ive got a 60g photo pod and have just brought a nano today can i use t he same itunes?
Old 08-05-2006, 06:23 PM

Reclined Lounger

yep should be able to^

Blackbook
8GB iPod Touch

Topic: How get iTunes to initially recognize a new, second iPod?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.