Changing the ipod backlighting color

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

holiday422003

Hi,
I've seen repair services for iPods lcd backlight color additions. Any one know how to change the backlight color of your iPod? I've seen it in green, red, pink, blue and orange and I heard it was something thats done to the lcd connection, not a film or screen protector on the outside. It only shows color when the backlight is on. Thanks for any help with this.

Holi

~tl

The monochrome iPods use little LEDs to light the screen. Changing these for ones of a different colour, or somehow colouring the existing LEDs will change the colour of the backlight.

However, it's not advisable to do it with the colour iPods ;)

TOM

ArjunV

Don't do it with the color screens, you need a white backlight on them.

For the monochrome iPods, here is a mini tut:

1. Open iPod, remove LCD screen (becareful with the ribbon, it's very fragile)
2. To one side of the iPod, you will see a ribbon cable that is running vertical, and ontop of this there should be a black piece of tape.
3. Remove the black piece of tape. (save it for when you are putting everything back together)
4. The ribbon cable under the piece of tape should fold off, it will fold over towards the outside of the LCD.
5. Once you flip that ribbon over, you will see 3 (I think) surface mount LEDs. They are the same as the ones used in the buttons of the 3G ipods.
6. Simply desolder them, and resolder the new ones
7. Put everything back together.
8. Make sure you don't burn any pads, because soldering onto the ribbon cables is a real PITA.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
By experience, leave it alone. Any other color but white makes u feel cool and different, for a while then it becomes old and nothing work as good as white backlit. Apple knows how to make their stuff, it's not just hype as some people think.

Now reducing the intensity I want, my darn mini blinds me when I try to operate it in a dark place.

savethehumans45

Website
www.myspace.com
bobb-mini- Im not sure about minis but with 4g monochrome you can change the intensity of the backlight fairly simply. Boot into diagnostic mode and scroll through to contrast, from there you will select a contrast level, after the contrast level is set you can set the brightness of the backlight. Not sure if this will work on a mini, so when my brother gets home ill give it a shot.

EDIT:
Sorry, however this will not work on the 2g mini, in not sure about a first gen, but on the 2nd you are able to set seperate contrast levels for backlight on and backlight off, diagnostic more>io>lcd>offsettest select first level(0) then second should be with backlight on. if this helps.

Last edited: