Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Can you create your own folders on Ipod, to organize music

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 04-24-2006, 10:03 PM

Freshman Lounger

Can you create your own folders on Ipod, to organize music

Hey,

Ive been looking around on the net for a whie to a answer to this and cant find one, when I found this site I figured I might as well ask cause with most other problems ive encourntered the best place for help is forums.

Anyways, Im trying to add a few of my cds to my iPod but it auto makes its own folders and annoys the hell outa me.
Here is a example for a eminem cd I own;

It goes, in genre Rap/Hip hop, then under artist it makes a seperate folder for eminem, and then another one for each song witha "featuring" on it, so in total the cd has about 7 folders under artists. Then under albums it has the one cd name encore.

All of which is annoying, Is there a way I can take everything out except the album name, and possibily make my own folder like "MIX TAPE 1" and then throw a dozzen songs in there without it making a seperate artist folder with the 1 song in each?

It would be much easier is iTunes let you customize the folders and make your own... instead of it doing it automatically via what there the "cddb" thing has where it says all the track info.

Right now the only way I can change it is to edit the file info for each song and delete all the featuring names ect so it only makes one folder, except then I don't know whos on the track.

Soooo fustrating, is there something other than iTunes I can use or a simple way?

Thanks in advance,

X

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-24-2006, 10:29 PM

iTunes assigns by artist name. My songs and videos are foldered:
Artist>Album Title> track # (if given)>song title. All of the songs by that artist I changed the tags so that the 'featuring' is on the song title like: song title ft. guest artist.

This way all of the songs by the artist will appear under his name in the iTunes library, folders and on the iPod. I don't have the artist listed by his name only and then artist & guest artist listing each separately. My videos are the same organization.

In iTunes go to preferences>advance and post what boxes you have checked and unchecked there.

I have this checked but when the window opened asking if I wanted iTunes to name or rename my songs I clicked 'no'.

*Keep iTunes Music Folder Organized*
Places song files into album & artist folders, and names the files based on the disc #, track #, and the songs title.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:37 PM

there is one thing you can do -- use itunes' compilation feature. if you designate all songs of an album as "part of a compilation", that has the effect of preventing each individual artist from being listed under the artist directory. this keeps the album in the album directory, and also puts it in a special "compilations" directory under the general music heading. it's not really an advantage to access the album from the compilations directory, but it is a big advantage to keep your artist directory from being cluttered up with a bunch of one-song artists that appear on these mix cd's.

to use the compilations feature: select all songs of an album, go to get info, then for all songs set the "part of a compilation?" tag to yes. re-sync your ipod, and you'll also need to go to your ipod general settings and change compilations to "on" in order to activate this feature.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:43 PM

Freshman Lounger

hmm, the compilation sounds like it will work...

Still a hassel though to go through every cd and add that to it, this is why I hate apple.. haha, the iPod is about the only good thing they have done and even then the set up of iTunes is too basic and doesn't allow any customization like it should.

Too bad all the other mp3 players out there aren't half the size of apples...

Apple has too much of a "my way or the highway" point of view. Hence why pcs are better.. this is another topic though haha...

Is there any other programs that let you customize how they are placed on the iPod anything like that?

Thanks for the help so far,

X
Old 04-25-2006, 10:28 AM

Reclined Lounger

Your question was about folders on the iPod itself, correct? If so, I don't think there's any specific way to organize it other than how you classify your music in iTunes. On my computer, I have music sorted by music unless it's a soundtrack or compliation CD, then I have that in it's own folder. I use MusicMatch to make the MP3's and it names each file the way I want: Artist-Album-Song-Track Number. iTunes doesn't give you any options on how to create/name each file.

iPod: 5G 60GB
Phone: iPhone 8 GB
Favorite TV: The Wire, 30 Rock, The Family, Frontline, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Reno911!
Favorite Band: The Flaming Lips
Old 04-25-2006, 11:34 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by Manthus_X

Apple has too much of a "my way or the highway" point of view. Hence why pcs are better.. this is another topic though haha...

Is there any other programs that let you customize how they are placed on the iPod anything like that?

Thanks for the help so far,

X
I am a windows user too, but I find iTunes a great music player. You just need to learn about it a little more I think.

Whatever you tag your song files with will determine where the song files go. As honeybee says, make sure you have the box ticked for *Keep iTunes Music Folder Organized*.

It's really quite simple to work out what you want then. You can use the compilation feature as suggested by rockmyplimsoul if you want and then you will have one large folder with the album names under compilations instead of heaps of artists folders.

Windows Media Player was really just as basic and I also found it not near as user friendly. Give it some time and I think you will be turned around.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:33 PM

Freshman Lounger

True, I just started using it so it could be fustration. I use winamp to listen to stuff on the pc but I have to use iTunes to put the stuff on my iPod. I just hate how it auto sotrts them and doesn't let you do it manually.. ill juse use the compliation feature so I don't get hunnads of atrists.

Thanks again,

X
Old 04-25-2006, 01:14 PM

Reclined Lounger

I just quickly delete the guest artist(s). Usually albums with multiple artists have a bunch of songs like that I just go down the list (get info) and delete the other artist. I really with Itunes would let you batch edit by dragging the whole album to say David Bowie and it would change the artist on every song to David Bowie. Same with Genre, just change them all at once. That's one thing that bugs me with Itunes.

5g 60bg iPod, ContourCase Showcase,20gb Dell DJ (Sold), Shure E2c phones. Altec iM7 boombox.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
ill juse use the compliation feature so I don't get hunnads of atrists.
a minor clarification on what i said about the compilation feature -- an album of multiple artists which has been tagged as a compilation will keep the artists out of the artist directory. however, if one of the artists on the compilation is also on another album in your library which has not been identified as a compilation, then the artist directory will show both albums by the artist (the compilation and the non-compilation).
Old 04-25-2006, 05:58 PM

Veteran Lounger

You could try Rockbox, which is an alternate firmware for the iPod.

I keep all my music organised in a nice filetree like this

A/Artist/Album/song.mp3

and just drag and drop the filetree onto my iPod and play away.

Click the Rockbox icon in my sig

h

160Gb Classic, iPhone 4, Ultimate Ears TripeFi 10, 15,000+ songs
Old 04-25-2006, 06:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thats how I want them organised... but say I put a cd on like this:

Eminem - Encore

1. Curtains Up
2. Evil Deeds
3. Never Enough Feat. 50 Cent & Nate Dogg
4. Yellow Brick Road
5. Like Toy Soldiers
6. Mosh
7. Puke
8. My 1st Single
9. Paul (Skit)
10. Rain Man
11. Big Weenie
12. Em Calls Paul (Skit)
13. Just Lose It
14. A** Like That
15. Spend Some Time Feat. Obie Trice, Stat Quo, & 50 Cent
16. Mockingbird
17. Crazy In Love
18. One Shot 2 Shot Feat. D-12
19. Final Thought (Skit)
20. Encore Feat. Dr. Dre & 50 Cent

Say for all the featurings, ill use song 20 as a example: In atrist rather than it being under eminems folder it makes its own as eminem feat dr dre and 50 cent with only the one song on it. The only way to fix that is either put all my cds in compilation folder or edit the name so it doesn't have any featurings. Doing the latter means editing every cd name and I have some cds that are mostly featuring songs.... Besides that if I change the names then I don't know whos in the songs anymore... and its a lot of work to re weite the feating as part of the song title on EVERY SINGLE track I want on my iPod..

Does the program your talkign about have a way around this or is it the same as iTunes in that respect? This is the main problem im facing.

My ideal program would be as simple as windows explorer, I have all my cds on my HD orginised by artist date title then track.

(Example:
Eminem> 1996 The Slim Shady LP>all tracks
Eminem>2003 Encore> all tracks)

Thus there orginized alphibetically by artist then by release date. If I tunes allowed you to make your own "tree" format via create folder ect then it would be simple. As simple as windows explorer.

X
Old 04-25-2006, 07:03 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:

Thus there orginized alphibetically by artist then by release date. If I tunes allowed you to make your own "tree" format via create folder ect then it would be simple. As simple as windows explorer.

X

This and gapless playback are the two biggest attractions of Rockbox for me.

h

160Gb Classic, iPhone 4, Ultimate Ears TripeFi 10, 15,000+ songs
Old 04-25-2006, 07:33 PM

Power Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBigNewt
I really with Itunes would let you batch edit by dragging the whole album to say David Bowie and it would change the artist on every song to David Bowie. Same with Genre, just change them all at once. That's one thing that bugs me with Itunes.
iTunes has that capability. Just highlight an entire album, and click on "Get Info" and type in the artist for the album. Click ok, and all your songs should be tagged accordingly.

160GB iPod classic + Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pros
Old 04-26-2006, 02:04 AM

Freshman Lounger

I know in iTunes you can edit them all at once but I don't really want that, id like to know who im listning to when im listning to it rather than just guessing. Im gonna try that rox box thing and see how that works... its just annoying how uncustomizable iTunes and all apple products are...

If rox box doesn't work im just gonna either go all compliations or rename all the albums by artist - date - title... and just use the album catagory rather than the artist or genre..

Again I don't see the need to have them ordered by 5 different ways, im either go use the album, artist, genre, ect ect... not all at once... if apple just let you choose how you want it and now have it on them all at once it wouldnt be abother... but apple doesn't think like a normal person. The only reason I bought a ipod is cause other mp3 players can't hold as many songs.

Again thanks for your replys... ill check out this other program.

X
Old 04-26-2006, 02:33 AM

Junior Lounger

Doesn't Rockbox void the warranty?

Topic: Can you create your own folders on Ipod, to organize music

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.