Weird 3G iPod icon on screen - plug in dock cable?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

edeab220

Website
www.palmforums.org
Ok, I really don't know what's happening with this 3G iPod that I have in my hand right now. When I turn on the iPod, it shows the icon which tells me to plug in the dock cable, then the iPod itself turns off. However, even when I plug the iPod to the computer, the icon doesn't disappear.

Is there a specific reason why the iPod is showing this icon? And how can I get it to go away?

TIA.

edeab220

Website
www.palmforums.org
Yea, it's not the one where it shows the power outlet. It shows the dock connector cable, then an arrow showing that I need to plug it into the iPod. After it shows that icon, the iPod turns off.

I personally have never seen or heard of this icon before. It used to have the folder icon, then it went to this icon.

trevobh

I had the same thing happen after I did a restore
Drove me crazy until I figured it out
I had to plug into a AC wall adapter via Firewire to finish the restore
Plugging into a PC or AC adapter via USB will not do it
Hope this helps

p.s. I got an after-market USB/Firewire docking cable at BestBuy for 15 bucks, it lets you recharge and sync at the same time

sirandrew

I am having the same problem. Would plugging it inot a car charger with dock connector work or would it need a firewire wall outlet charger in order to work. thanks in advance.

ahMEmon

heh.

I once updated my iPod before realizing that I had no charging brick, and my iPod was stuck in the "Plug into wall" screen. Then I tried restarting my mac in Target Disk Mode, and attached my iPod to it and THAT worked.

Go figure! Give it a shot!

trevobh

re: sirandrew and the car charger
That would probably work, I didn't have a car charger
Give it a shot, what's the worst that could happen ?

sirandrew

trevobh said:
re: sirandrew and the car charger
That would probably work, I didn't have a car charger
Give it a shot, what's the worst that could happen ?
Well i tried using the car charger, before you suggested it might I add so dont worry, and after i did... now nothing will appear on the screen. Before the dock connector icon and such appeared and now nothing so im hopping nothing happened and I just need a firewire cable to charge it

trevobh

It says in the 3G manual that you can't charge w/ USB at all so if you go with Firewire and a wall charger you'll probably be alright

kbennett

I recently moved and all i have is my USB cord. the charger for it got jammed between the door and the charger was dragging on the ground. So is there a way to charge it without a firewall or what ever the thing is called. I have a Photo 20g. Can I put my PC in safe mode? will that work?

hand123

I do not see a clear solution to the original post. I'm having the same problem as the original post. Can someone please point me in the right direction for a solution? Thanks

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
You need to have a firewire ipod cable and a firewire ac adapter and need to plug it in.

That's the best solution.

Some people have had luck hooking it up to a car charger to flash the firmware.

klynch1969

Finally a solution for not having a plug.

I'm glad someone mentioned the Firewire. I remembered that Firewire carries more current than USB. And since I didn't have access to an Apple Plug and I did have an extra Firewire sitting around (thank god,) it worked out nicely.

The Firewire port supplied enough juice for the iPod to get past the plug icon, and finish the restore. WOOHOO. :D

ajbazz11

Hey guys

Ok so i might not have the same problems as this guy but i am having the "Power adapter plugging into wall" screen and i heard that if i get a firewire that it will fix this problem because the USB cable cant charge my 20gb 4 gen Ipod. the only problem is i don't have a firewire port on my computer and nether do any of my friends. so i was wondering if you guys could give me a link to some where that i can get a friewire wall charger.