Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: ipod not accepting drag and drop

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-16-2006, 12:48 AM

Freshman Lounger

ipod not accepting drag and drop

hey all...
im new here and one of my family members wanted me to put some songs on his ipod, i am not a big fan of the way itunes sorts its music so i dont have any of my music on my itunes...i tried to drag and drop music from windows straight to the ipod, which ive done b4 w/ my other cousins ipod and it worked like a charm...i am using itunes version 6.0.2.23...im not sure if they disabled this feature on the updated version...if you guys have any suggestions please let me know

-tarigand

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-16-2006, 10:34 AM

Pro Lounger

To drag and drop music to the ipod you need to use itunes (or other ipod compatible software) and the ipod set to manual update.

bring the songs into the itunes library. Connect the ipod. then it should show up in the source list on the left hand side. Then simply select the songs and drag them over from the library to the ipod.

You can't do this via windows explorer and have the songs play on the ipod.

iPods - White 30GB 5g, 1GB Shuffle
Apple Camera Connector
Old 02-16-2006, 12:58 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by boatracer
To drag and drop music to the ipod you need to use itunes (or other ipod compatible software) and the ipod set to manual update.

bring the songs into the itunes library. Connect the ipod. then it should show up in the source list on the left hand side. Then simply select the songs and drag them over from the library to the ipod.

You can't do this via windows explorer and have the songs play on the ipod.
ive done the drag and drop from explorer before, and i also tried adding songs to the library and dragging them and dropping them in there..i get the status window of adding files when i drag and drop, but nothing shows up on the ipod...im thinking the ipod needs to be formatted
Old 02-16-2006, 01:12 PM

Junior Lounger

This happens when the music/video/etc isnt in a correct format for your iPod or it really isnt incompatible to be played.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:17 PM

The music on the iPod has to be stored in a particular directory tree and indexed into the iPod's database in order for them to appear on the iPod.

Dragging and dropping songs onto the iPod drive icon will not work, as you're just copying files to the iPod as an external hard drive.

Normally, if you have iTunes with your iPod set in manual mode, you can drag and drop music from your iTunes library onto the iPod itself, and you might even be able to drag and drop a file directly onto the iPod icon in iTunes.

Any music track that can be imported played in your iTunes library can be transferred to the iPod, so it's not likely to be a format issue (note that this is not necessarily the case for videos however).

Note that there are third-party tools such as Anapod Explorer that will provide a certain level of drag-and-drop capability, bypassing the need to import your music into iTunes first. However, even with Anapod you can't just drag music onto the iPod's drive letter - you have to drag the tracks to the Anapod Explorer icon.

Last edited by Jesse Hollington; 02-16-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:13 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by jhollington
Dragging and dropping songs onto the iPod drive icon will not work, as you're just copying files to the iPod as an external hard drive.

Normally, if you have iTunes with your iPod set in manual mode, you can drag and drop music from your iTunes library onto the iPod itself, and you might even be able to drag and drop a file directly onto the iPod icon in iTunes.

Note that there are third-party tools such as Anapod Explorer that will provide a certain level of drag-and-drop capability, bypassing the need to import your music into iTunes first. However, even with Anapod you can't just drag music onto the iPod's drive letter - you have to drag the tracks to the Anapod Explorer icon. [/B]
im sorry if I have some of you confused. I drag and drop my folders from windows explorer straight on to the ipod drive that ITUNES shows me...and for some reason...it doesnt want to add the files...it is also set to manual for me to drag and drop...i also tried it through the itunes library...it doesnt seem to work
Old 02-16-2006, 02:21 PM

Resident Pagan Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by tarigand
im sorry if I have some of you confused. I drag and drop my folders from windows explorer straight on to the ipod drive that ITUNES shows me...and for some reason...it doesnt want to add the files...it is also set to manual for me to drag and drop...i also tried it through the itunes library...it doesnt seem to work
Where I get confused is where you say you drop a folder FROM Windows Explorer... Windows Explorer only shows you Drives, Folders and Files, it's not a location in and of itself.

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to drag folders or files from your hard drive and drop them into your iTunes Music Library, using Windows Explorer. Is that correct?

If so, you can't do that. You have to open iTunes and expand the folder tree IN iTunes to do Drag and Drop.

Last edited by Baphomet; 02-16-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:13 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by Baphomet

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to drag folders or files from your hard drive and drop them into your iTunes Music Library, using Windows Explorer. Is that correct?
yes you are correct, but the thing is I am trying to drag and drop directly into the IPOD, by bypassing Itunes
Old 02-16-2006, 04:57 PM

Resident Pagan Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by tarigand
yes you are correct, but the thing is I am trying to drag and drop directly into the IPOD, by bypassing Itunes
Nice try, but iTunes SEES what you're doing... and now it's P I S S E D.

Long and short of it... you can't manage your music that way. Period. At least, not without some third-party software like Anapod Manager.

Unless you mean you want to just move the .mp3 files, in effect using your iPod as a portable disk-drive. THAT you can do. You can move the files onto your iPod that way, but you can't move them into your iTunes Music Library that way.

Make sense?

Last edited by Baphomet; 02-16-2006 at 05:08 PM.

Topic: ipod not accepting drag and drop

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.