Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Can't Copy Some Songs From iTunes Library (all are my CDs)???

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-11-2006, 06:04 PM

Freshman Lounger

Can't Copy Some Songs From iTunes Library (all are my CDs)???

Please choose the appropriate forum for this topic. Thank you. I have a First Gen, 5gig clickwheel iPod, running:

-iPod software version 1.5 (recent update).
-My iBook runs OS 10.4.2
-iTunes version 6.0.1

When I try to import music from my itune's Library, I['m grtting this very annoying message:
""Some of the songs in the iTunes music library, including the song [and it lists the siong here], were not copied to the iPod because they cannot be played on this iPod."

WTF??

None of this music is digital music purchased from the iTunes store (I do not do iTunes Store music, ever). ALL the music in my iTunes Library is imported from CDs that I have personally purchased.
Does anyine have any idea why the songs fail to copy to my ipod? BTW, whenever I get that message, ALL the songs from the playlist/CD associated with the warning fail to be copied. I am left without being able to play my music.

Please help. Thanks a bunch!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-11-2006, 08:14 PM

Pro Lounger

Hmm, that's puzzling. The only time I've gotten that error is in the case of a few files that, for some reason, seem to be encoded in a way that the iPod doesn't recognize. The same tracks play fine in iTunes on my computer. In a few cases, in looking at the file itself, I found that the file extension had gotten truncated (for example to ".mp"), and fixing the extension solved the problem.

How did you rip the songs from CD -- are they in regular mp3 format? If no other solution presents itself, you could re-rip the CDs with iTunes.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:41 AM

Freshman Lounger

Same thing happens to me. This is what works for me: First drag the CD songs into your iTunes library, and then from there, drag them into your iPod (mine's in manual uploading mode). It's a hassle but I don't know what else to do. Hopefully it works for you!

ETA: Just re-read your post and realized that all your songs are already in your iTunes library. Eek. Sorry.

Last edited by aliasbree; 02-14-2006 at 04:44 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:29 PM

Freshman Lounger

All the files are in standard audio file formats (mp3, m4a), imported via the standard generic manner I've used on all my music: insert the CD into the iBook's CD/DVD drive, and click the 'import' button in iTunes.
I just cleared all music files from iTunes (via iTunes' Edit Menu) of one of the offending CDs to see what would happen if I re-did the entire process all over from scratch: re-importing it, then trying to load it onto the iPod.
I get the SAME(!) warning message, and again, I'm unable to load the songs onto the iPod!
This is getting to be a huge PITA.
Anyone have ANY clues as to what is going on?
I have no idea where to find an answer, I've looked through all variety of related posts here and eleswhere ... and the iPod is off warranty so I doubt Apple will be of help.
Thanks a bunch for any assistance.

Topic: Can't Copy Some Songs From iTunes Library (all are my CDs)???

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.