Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: step by step guide for using brasso

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 02-04-2006, 09:17 PM

Junior Lounger

step by step guide for using brasso

i tried searching for this and i found several threads about brasso, but they didnt say how to use it.

i just got a can and im gonna use it on my black 30gb ipod video. i am looking for a detailed, step by step guide on how to use it. ive never used brasso to polish anything so i dont know how to use it. if i use it on the front, wont it get between the crack between the clickwheel and mess #### up? please help me with this! thanks!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-04-2006, 09:44 PM

Veteran Lounger

look up todd dailey's tutorial on google.

he has a step by step guide.

30gb iPod photo- has been sent to my aunt. She loves it, and is very careful with it, as I've heard. Hopefully I can get it back when the battery dies or the hard drive fails.

30gb iPod video- just got it as of 12/13/05 YAY!!!
Old 02-05-2006, 01:51 PM

Junior Lounger

I found that guide, but he uses more then just the Brasso. He used iKlear after the Brasso dried.

I only have Brasso and a cloth. After I rub it on for like 20 minutes, when do I know when to wipe it off? Do I wait for it to dry? If I do wait for it to dry, does it wipe off with just using a dry cloth or do I have to get it wet?
Old 02-05-2006, 04:35 PM

Junior Lounger

anyone?
Old 02-05-2006, 05:56 PM

Junior Lounger

Wait for the Brasso to dry, use a dry cloth on the dried Brasso.

iPod Classic Black 80GB "Skwisgaar" wearing an iSkin evo4 Duo Onyx and Maclear Zip Case
iPod Touch 16GB "Toki Wardrive" in Piel Frama Black Cowskin
Shure SE530s with Sensaphonics Sleeves
Old 02-06-2006, 11:18 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by galachef55
Wait for the Brasso to dry, use a dry cloth on the dried Brasso.
Once it dries, it will wipe right off with a dry cloth? Is there any chance that using Brasso will #### up my iPod?
Old 02-06-2006, 11:42 AM

Junior Lounger

Im thinking that people fcuked up ther iPods by "Scrubbing" the surface with the Brasso, which predictably caused more scratches.........Bailey simply rubbed it slowly for 20 minutes, which is the patient and right way to do it......

Part of the problem is that people expect the Brasso to work instantly. It doesn't work like that.....and pounding it into the iPod basically scours the surface...versus simply rubbing it.

It's Better to have and not need, than to need and not have...
Old 02-06-2006, 11:50 AM

Music Pimp

What do you guys think of using those make-up blender pad/sponge things instead of a cloth? I can't imagine those scratching the iPod no matter how hard you rub.

60GB iPod (5G) (White)
Koss Sparkplug, Sennheiser PMX60 & MX500... yeah, I know I need some better cans
Apple Universal Dock & Remote
Griffin radioSHARK
Old 02-06-2006, 12:25 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by metallicafan111
Once it dries, it will wipe right off with a dry cloth? Is there any chance that using Brasso will #### up my iPod?
can someone give me an answer to this quickly? I'm gonna try out the brasso right after i get an answer. thanks.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:41 PM

Resident Pagan Deity

Quote:
I only have Brasso and a cloth. After I rub it on for like 20 minutes, when do I know when to wipe it off? Do I wait for it to dry? If I do wait for it to dry, does it wipe off with just using a dry cloth or do I have to get it wet?
Brasso is a liquid, so the chances of it screwing up your iPod are, I would guess, the same as for exposing your iPod to any other liquid. Having used a lot of Brasso over the years, I can suggest the following:

1. Apply the Brasso to the cloth, or pad, or whatever you will be using: not to the iPod itself.
2. A tiny amount of Brasso goes a long, long, way.
3. Apply it gently, rubbing in small, controlled circles.
4. The Brasso may (will) turn black as you use/rub with it, this is normal.
5. The Brasso will turn white and "chalky" as it dries.
6. I think it would be wise to keep this white, chalky powder OUT of your iPod.
7. Be careful WHERE you apply the Brasso. If it goes into some crack or crevice that you can't access and buff out, it will dry there; leaving it's white residue behind. Not very attractive.
8. It is not necessary for the Brasso to dry completely before removing it completely.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:13 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by Baphomet
Brasso is a liquid, so the chances of it screwing up your iPod are, I would guess, the same as for exposing your iPod to any other liquid. Having used a lot of Brasso over the years, I can suggest the following:

1. Apply the Brasso to the cloth, or pad, or whatever you will be using: not to the iPod itself.
2. A tiny amount of Brasso goes a long, long, way.
3. Apply it gently, rubbing in small, controlled circles.
4. The Brasso may (will) turn black as you use/rub with it, this is normal.
5. The Brasso will turn white and "chalky" as it dries.
6. I think it would be wise to keep this white, chalky powder OUT of your iPod.
7. Be careful WHERE you apply the Brasso. If it goes into some crack or crevice that you can't access and buff out, it will dry there; leaving it's white residue behind. Not very attractive.
8. It is not necessary for the Brasso to dry completely before removing it completely.
I'm just gonna use the brasso on the screen. I'm gonna do what you said, rub in small circles for awhile. On step 6, you said get out. I assume you meant out of the cracks. I'm gonnna rub the screen until I get the results I want, then I will wipe off the Brasso. If I don't clean it off good enough and some brasso says on, will it permentaly stain?
Old 02-06-2006, 02:25 PM

Resident Pagan Deity

Quote:
metallicafan111 ... On step 6, you said get out. I assume you meant out of the cracks.
That is correct.

Quote:
metallicafan111 ... I'm gonnna rub the screen until I get the results I want, then I will wipe off the Brasso. If I don't clean it off good enough and some brasso says on, will it permentaly stain?
That process will be fine for what you want to do; and no, Brasso will not stain the plastic, or anything else on your iPod. As for your polishing cloth however, yes. Brasso will leave a very-diffcult-to-remove yellow stain, so don't plan on using your favorite silk shirt to buff up your iPod.

Also, be prepared: Brasso is "fumey"... and boy does it stink!. Use with lots of ventilation.

Last edited by Baphomet; 02-06-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:01 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by Baphomet
That is correct.

That process will be fine for what you want to do; and no, Brasso will not stain the plastic, or anything else on your iPod. As for your polishing cloth however, yes. Brasso will leave a very-diffcult-to-remove yellow stain, so don't plan on using your favorite silk shirt to buff up your iPod.

Also, be prepared: Brasso is "fumey"... and boy does it stink!. Use with lots of ventilation.
How much brasso should I use? You said a little, but what do you mean by that? Like a drop or what? Sorry for all the questions, I just dont want to mess up!
Old 02-06-2006, 03:11 PM

Resident Pagan Deity

Quote:
How much brasso should I use? You said a little, but what do you mean by that? Like a drop or what? Sorry for all the questions, I just dont want to mess up!
No problem...

Here's what I suggest. When you first get your can of Brasso, shake the hell out of it... the polishing "stuff" will settle to the bottom of the can and it needs to be mixed. If the Brasso comes out of the can nearly clear, it's not been mixed. Once it's mixed pop the flip-top lid. Under the flip-top, the opening is rather small, so take that favorite silk shirt that you're going to be using to polish your iPod with, wrap up a few layers over the tip of your index finger and tightly plug the hole of the Brasso can with it. Up end the Brasso can just long enough to wet the cloth; that's about one second or so. The cloth should be wet, but not dripping. Repeat as needed.

You really don't need to worry about this though... if in doubt, better to be using too little Brasso and add to what is there, than to douse your iPod with too much. Just apply a little common sense and you'll be fine. Really.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:08 PM

Junior Lounger

Thanks!

Topic: step by step guide for using brasso

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.