Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Recieved Used Ipod with 320 songs.....do not want to lose how can I save them

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-31-2005, 10:59 AM

Freshman Lounger

Recieved Used Ipod with 320 songs.....do not want to lose how can I save them

do I have to formatt my old/new to me ipod to have my pc
recognize my ipod?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-31-2005, 06:15 PM

shhhhhh Im here

Just install iTunes, connect your iPod and use a program like podutil to transfer the songs to your computer. Make sure the iPod is set to 'mannually manage songs and playlists'

DEPORTES TOLIMA
BOCA JUNIORS
iPod linux and iPod wizard pictureswww.putfile.com/totetolima
4G 60GB color l 2G 6GB mini l U2 color l 3G 15GB l 5G 60 GB l 12' PowerBook G4 running OS X Tiger
Old 12-31-2005, 06:21 PM

Veteran Lounger

yes use podutil to transfer it onto the computer. then add more songs and update they'll be on your ipod again.

30gb iPod photo- has been sent to my aunt. She loves it, and is very careful with it, as I've heard. Hopefully I can get it back when the battery dies or the hard drive fails.

30gb iPod video- just got it as of 12/13/05 YAY!!!
Old 01-02-2006, 02:15 AM

Senior Lounger

ok youre on a pc i assume, go to start>my computer>portable hard drive (x:\) then click folder options, click view hidden folders, then you should see a cloudy ipod_control in there is like 4 folders or something, there should be on with folders like F00 F01 F02 F03 F04 etc, inside of these, thats all your music, just copy the folders and paste them onto your hard drive, or where ever. and youre done.

2 1G Minis: 1 pink, 1 silver. 4GB
1 3G iPod: 15gb w. dock
1 4G U2 iPod: 20Gb
1 5G iPod with Video: White 30GB

iBook G4: 1.33/512/40 on OS X 10.4.4
Old 01-02-2006, 02:35 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by iPoddersYOUnite
ok youre on a pc i assume, go to start>my computer>portable hard drive (x:\) then click folder options, click view hidden folders, then you should see a cloudy ipod_control in there is like 4 folders or something, there should be on with folders like F00 F01 F02 F03 F04 etc, inside of these, thats all your music, just copy the folders and paste them onto your hard drive, or where ever. and youre done.
i've done that before. It takes longer than podutil, and harder to do. (i had to do this when my computer wasn't launching podutil) the only thing you left out is. What i like to do in this little tutorial. Once you find the music folder with the F00 F01 and such. Copy them into my music, and what i like to do is put all those folders into one folder. Once you're done with that, in itunes press file>add folder to library> choose the folder with all the other folders. all the songs should load up in iTunes.

This is the longer more manual way if podutil doesn't work. You probably shouldn't do this if you only want a few songs.

30gb iPod photo- has been sent to my aunt. She loves it, and is very careful with it, as I've heard. Hopefully I can get it back when the battery dies or the hard drive fails.

Old 01-02-2006, 03:02 AM

Senior Lounger

just highlight all the boxes and drag into itunes. same ####.

2 1G Minis: 1 pink, 1 silver. 4GB
1 3G iPod: 15gb w. dock
1 4G U2 iPod: 20Gb
1 5G iPod with Video: White 30GB

iBook G4: 1.33/512/40 on OS X 10.4.4
Old 01-02-2006, 03:08 AM

Veteran Lounger

i've tried it before, doesn't work like that. you have to put it in from add folder to itunes.

Old 01-02-2006, 03:25 PM

Electronics Guru

Download a program called Sharepod. After unzipping the file, copy the SharePod.exe onto the iPod HD (e:\ in my case).
From there, just open SharePod from the iPod (can be opened from any computer) and it will show all the songs on your iPod. You can select them all and click export to computer. If the files are named in the iPod, you can choose how you want the new filenames to apear (Artist - Title - etc...).

Simply copying from the iPod gives you the files with garbage names that you'll have to rename. SharePod names the files for you...very neat utility.

Warning, before connecting to another computer, turn off the auto transfer/update on iTunes or else it will delete your songs on your iPod.

Own: G5 Video
Songs: 2073
Old 01-02-2006, 11:14 PM

Senior Lounger

use winamp with an ipod plugin (first on search page for ipod plugin on winamp site)

dont let the #######s grind you down!

5g 30G white, 5g 30G Black, 4g 20G white(rockbox), 4g 20G blue, Sony PSP(2gig memory), 4043 songs, iSkin evo2 (sonic), clear DLO Jam Jacket, DLO homedock, Clear Shure e2c, White Sony MDR EX-71
Acidmods-Leaders in Modding Technology
Old 01-06-2006, 01:27 PM

Freshman Lounger

Or if you are using a PC junk iTunes and buy / download anapod explorer, much more user friendly and 5 times faster... no utilities needed to go from Ipod to PC....

Good Luck
Michael
Old 01-06-2006, 01:37 PM

Freshman Lounger

Or if you are using a PC junk iTunes and buy / download anapod explorer, much more user friendly and 5 times faster... no utilities needed to go from Ipod to PC....

Good Luck
Michael
Old 01-08-2006, 11:13 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by iPoddersYOUnite
this is great stuff~~ thanks!! i've been at a loss for a while now, ever since my laptop crashed (along with my library); although i've "backed up" the mp3s into the nano, i can't bring it back to the pc *sad* --- but this? this is great! yer a genius!

Old 01-09-2006, 12:03 AM

Senior Lounger

or you could also download Podplayer (just google it) and it basically does the same thing as manualy getting all of the folders, but it does it quickly and organizes it by names etc

4G 30 gig Photo | iPod Linux

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'll just ask 'em where they're going and hook up with them later.
-Mitch Hedberg

Topic: Recieved Used Ipod with 320 songs.....do not want to lose how can I save them

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.