Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod Erased All My Music

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 12-29-2005, 06:32 AM

Junior Lounger

iPod Erased All My Music

When i connected my iPod to my PC like many times i did before, it just like re-registered my ipod and deleted all my music and auto-synced it. is there anyway to get my music back?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:05 AM

He hates Scousers

First of all, the iPod did not delete your music. You deleted it yourself when you set to auto-sync.

And the answer is no. Your music is gone.

Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry 'Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
I must have you!'
- Thomas Parke d'Invilliers
Old 12-29-2005, 07:24 AM

Enlightened

For future reference, be sure to back up your music to a second hard drive, DVD, or something similar.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:28 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristiano
First of all, the iPod did not delete your music. You deleted it yourself when you set to auto-sync.

And the answer is no. Your music is gone.
What do u mean that the poster deleted it themself? Is there a way to set your ipod so that it syncs only one way from pc to ipod and not have any changes made on the ipod cause changes to affect yr pc?

d@ni
History is a mirror of the past
and a lesson for the present!
(A Persian Proverb)
Old 12-29-2005, 09:03 AM

*Not really a DJ

You can't make any changes besides rating the songs and making on-the-go playlists on the iPod itself anyway.

Phil
iPod 5th Gen -> Ety ER-6i's. Musical Bliss.

Old 12-29-2005, 09:14 AM

Junior Lounger

well wtf is the PC doing re-registering my iPod again
Old 12-29-2005, 09:38 AM

He hates Scousers

Quote:
Originally posted by dani2xll
What do u mean that the poster deleted it themself? Is there a way to set your ipod so that it syncs only one way from pc to ipod and not have any changes made on the ipod cause changes to affect yr pc?
Set to manual?!1

Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry 'Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
I must have you!'
- Thomas Parke d'Invilliers
Old 12-29-2005, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sting2kx
well wtf is the PC doing re-registering my iPod again
Well, I can only assume that your iTunes library must have been deleted or corrupted, or you were logged onto your computer as a different user.

The iPod associates with a specific iTunes library, and in automatic sync mode will replicate whatever is in that library. Hence, if you have a blank library, it will erase the content of your iPod. If you're starting a new empty library, it will see your iPod as not belonging to that library.

However, if your iPod had previously been associated with a different library, you shouldn't have gotten a re-registration, but rather a warning that your iPod was associated with another library and been asked whether you wanted to change it to be linked/associated to the current new library.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:09 PM

Junior Lounger

no more music!!! man this sucks.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:27 PM

Veteran Lounger

wait did it delete the music off your pc or ipod. i'm not too sure what to tell you here. except make sure you have a good computer.

30gb iPod photo- has been sent to my aunt. She loves it, and is very careful with it, as I've heard. Hopefully I can get it back when the battery dies or the hard drive fails.

30gb iPod video- just got it as of 12/13/05 YAY!!!
Old 12-29-2005, 07:02 PM

Junior Lounger

crap lol i realized that i didnt delete my music off my computer lol. i can just put it back on there. but some videos i had are actually gone and nowhere on my computer. thanks everyone for trying to help.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:27 PM

Freshman Lounger

Ipod Sync erased half my songs....!

I have a similar issue, My new Ipod just synced, i chose manual download and half of my songs (everything under musicians that start with 'F') is gone. Im sure theres no way to get em back ..but WTF?

W/O being nasty....can someone please tell me what I did wrong to avoid future errors.

And I do have two different accounts, im assuming being logged in to the old one, which it did automatically for some reason, has something to do with it?

But why all songs after 'F' seems very odd to me.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:29 AM

Freshman Lounger

dude i did that 3 times before i realized that it was on auto sync i fell yah
Old 09-11-2010, 01:05 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting2kx View Post
When i connected my iPod to my PC like many times i did before, it just like re-registered my ipod and deleted all my music and auto-synced it. is there anyway to get my music back?
this is great fodder for a class action lawsuit. apple cannot erase music it doesn't own and that was legally purchased and copied to a hard-drive. but that is what is happening. I had stored hundreds of my cds and ipod erased them. i back up my hard entire c drive daily and keep a seven day running total but didn't catch the music problem in time to salvage my music.

apple makes wonderful products and has full rights to prohibit pirating but that zeal should not infringe upon lawful users.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:45 AM

While it's not at all uncommon for iTunes to erase the music on an iPod due to how automatic synchronization works, in most cases the user is prompted with a warning that their iPod is associated with another iTunes library and asked if they want to "Erase and Sync" with the new iTunes library. The only time music should ever be removed from an iPod without any notification is if it's been removed from your current library.

I have never seen a case of iTunes removing music from its own library except due to user error. In fact, iTunes tends to err on the side of caution when it comes to managing and moving content -- it wont' even try to delete items that are outside of your iTunes Media folder, even if you remove them from your library, and when deleting tracks from within iTunes that are in your iTunes Media folder, you get a second prompt asking if you want to keep the actual file or move it to the trash, with "Keep File" as the default option.

If you're seeing content disappearing from iTunes there's very likely another reason -- a virus or some other application on your computer messing with your iTunes library database files or your iTunes Media folder. Even moving or renaming your media files once they've been imported into iTunes can cause iTunes to lose track of them as it stores the full path to each file and doesn't have any way of updating this information if you move or reorganize the files from outside of iTunes.

Topic: iPod Erased All My Music

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.