Charging (or not!) through Dock Connector

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ViShVa

My fully charged iPod 5G 60gb sitting on a Universal Dock is playing away fine through my speakers but not charging through the dock, even though the dock is connected to a USB2 port.

The Battery charge sign is slowly depleting instead of showing a charge symbol - I have iTunes set to automatically update but to NOT start when an iPod is connected. The player is ejected from iTunes and itunes is closed. I bought the dock so that I could use it as a mains supply, and am sure I have missed a setting somewhere... any pointers would be appreciated folks ... (running Win 2K SP4)

~~~~~~
Edited
~~~~~~

Looks like no one has any ideas. I have searched this and the Apple site (including its discussion forums) as well as Google but can't seem to find any help.

I am using a newly installed Belkin USB2 PCI card, and have changed the PCI port in which I plug in the USB lead without any difference. I also opened up the PC and changed the PCI slot to see if that made a difference, to no avail.

Let me elaborate...

When connecting either through the Dock or directly to my USB2 port, and "Automatically update all songs and playlists" is selected in iTunes Preferences, I get no charging symbol, just the half full or static green battery level indicator, whether mounted or disconnected from iTunes.

When the iPod volume is mounted in iTunes, directly or through the dock, and the "Manually manage songs and playlists" option is selected, I get a charging symbol in the upper right hand corner, and the iPod does indeed charge, which I can check by unmounting it after a period and checking that the battery level increases. So I don't think that the universal Dock is faulty. But when unmounted and enabled for disk use, I just get the battery level indicator, and no animated sign, small or large, even though the battery is still only half full. During direct playback through the Dock, the battery level depletes even though the Dock is connected to a USB2 port.

When I unmount the iPod from iTunes and completely eject the Apple iPod USB Device using the "Unplug or Eject Hardware", again I just get the battery level indicator, and no charging sign, small or large. In fact I have never seen the large battery charging indicator since I installed my iPod a few days ago, whether in manual mode or automatic mode (with "enable disk use" deselected).

Songs, Podcasts, Contacts, Videos and Photos all sync perfectly and as expected in Manual and Automatic modes. Only bug is the strange charging issue!

Sorry for the long winded description - just hope someone has a remedy! I have a feeling it has something to do with Win2K permissions or something.

Last edited: