I have discovered an ipod Solution! To the number one Problem! The folder icon!!! - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: I have discovered an ipod Solution! To the number one Problem! The folder icon!!!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 12-15-2005, 11:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have discovered an ipod Solution! To the number one Problem! The folder icon!!!

Ok my ipod just recently crashed on me! so i came on here! and i saw i had the number one problem cuz many other peeps been describing this too! When ur ipod starts skiping songs and freezing then when you cant go to ur main screen anymore an exclamation mark with a folder icon pops up! and you keep hearing your ipod reving up and it clicks dies down and revs up agian! and ur computer wont recognize it and it keeps freezing in the do not disconnect screen!! Well i think i have found a solotion to this! Read this post by member kojun look for his post its titled ipod miracle!
he describes how he fixed his! He opened it up took out the hard drive and shook it a little and taped it! then put it back and his ipod worked perfectly no song skipping or crashing or nuttin! i was scepticle of this but i had no warantee and i said the hell with it i tried everythign else! So i opened it up and did like he said! i just shook the hard drive a little and before i even fully closed it back up it booted up and the main screen came up! been listening for about 6 hours testing it making sure works perfectly fin like it had before! I cant believe this! So try this im pretty sure it will work!
Old 12-16-2005, 01:49 PM

Veteran Lounger

Luckily I have yet to have to deal with this problem on my 4G but here's some information for you.

If you have ever opened up a hard drive you will see that it has several platters and an arm that swings across the platters. When you start to hear the whirrrr....click....whirrrr....click you are hearing the platters start to spin and then the click is the arm trying to move but it's "stuck". So when you shake your hard drive what you're doing is trying to get the arm to get "unstuck". It is somewhat fortunate that this is working on so many people's iPods because I have rarely been able to get it to work on a regular sized hard drive. Whatever any of you do though, don't open the hard drive itself. Unless you are in a certified clean room that drive will die and you'll never be able to use it again.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:07 AM

Freshman Lounger

Can any of you gentlemen tell me why it is necessary to open the iPod just for the sake of shaking it? Shouldn't it be equivalent to do the same without opening it? I may be missing something...
Old 12-19-2005, 06:19 PM

Pro Lounger

on my old 4g i sold to a friend his did the same thing...so i just followed it and it actually worked...crazyness

80GB 5.5G White iPod current with contour case
8GB 2G Black iPod nano went through washing machine twice and it still works!! | 80GB 5.5G Black iPod (sold)
80GB 5.5G White iPod (sold) | 60GB 5G Black iPod (sold)
40GB 4G white iPod (sold) | 4GB Silver iPod Mini (sold)
Old 12-20-2005, 07:12 AM

Freshman Lounger

Talking

There it goes. My 4G 40 Gb iPod was dead, so I had nothing to lose.

After reading this and the previous post, I tried to shake the iPod without opening it to no avail. Then I decided that the situation couldn't get worse, so I dared opening it with a little screw-driver.
I didn't dare to dismantle anything else though. But after unlocking it, almost immediately the iPod responded. I still didn't have access to my folder, but I could connect the iPod (still open) to the computer through the dock connector and could restore it. Then I charged songs on it again and now it is again up and running.

I cannot ensure that this is going to work in all cases, but at least this has worked for me, so I have decided to post this information here, just in case it may be of some value for somebody else. At least I am very grateful to the person that suggested this solution!

Good luck (and report progress where relevant)!

Rosa
Old 12-27-2005, 02:03 PM

Freshman Lounger

Yeah. This sounds super-sketchy to me. But I figure I have nothing to lose. My iPod is past warranty and perpectually rebooting as you describe. I will report how this works out.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:11 AM

Freshman Lounger

Wow. Ok. So it works. Really.

I had the same problem - my iPod (4th gen) would whir up, and then die, perpetually. I opened it up, shook the hard drive a little and its back in business. The only difficulty I had was in figuring out the screwdriver bit. I had more luck when I tried to jam the screwdriver under the metal part than whatever I was doing before. See the pictures below for reference:

www dot notpopular dot com/blog/comments.php?blogID=63
(yeah, ridiculous i can't post a url)

Thanks all - you saved my iPod! iLazarus!
Old 12-28-2005, 02:36 AM

Veteran Lounger

wow this is a lot of positive outcomes of trying this. maybe this is the final solution to the problem people are always asking about. oh link for the post above me.

www.notpopular.com/blog/comments.php?blogID=63

30gb iPod photo- has been sent to my aunt. She loves it, and is very careful with it, as I've heard. Hopefully I can get it back when the battery dies or the hard drive fails.

30gb iPod video- just got it as of 12/13/05 YAY!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 02:42 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by noahd1
Wow. Ok. So it works. Really.

I had the same problem - my iPod (4th gen) would whir up, and then die, perpetually. I opened it up, shook the hard drive a little and its back in business. The only difficulty I had was in figuring out the screwdriver bit. I had more luck when I tried to jam the screwdriver under the metal part than whatever I was doing before. See the pictures below for reference:

www dot notpopular dot com/blog/comments.php?blogID=63
(yeah, ridiculous i can't post a url)

Thanks all - you saved my iPod! iLazarus!
Wait a minute, after reading your blog, it says that you replaced the hard drive, and here you say that you shook it. why would you say that you shook it?

30gb iPod photo- has been sent to my aunt. She loves it, and is very careful with it, as I've heard. Hopefully I can get it back when the battery dies or the hard drive fails.

Old 12-28-2005, 03:19 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by ipodphoto30
Wait a minute, after reading your blog, it says that you replaced the hard drive, and here you say that you shook it. why would you say that you shook it?
Sorry, I should have been clearer about that link. It's not my blog, it's a blog posting I found through digg dot com and I posted it only for reference on how to open your iPod (the first step or so)

I shook my hard drive (I did not replace it). The shaking did the trick.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:50 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by noahd1
Sorry, I should have been clearer about that link. It's not my blog, it's a blog posting I found through digg dot com and I posted it only for reference on how to open your iPod (the first step or so)

I shook my hard drive (I did not replace it). The shaking did the trick.
why didn't you just say so?

well do you have a tutorial on how you shook it, or anyone else have a tutorial on how to shake it, and open it up. their entire ipod hd shaking journey. the quest to make it work once again.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:40 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by ipodphoto30
why didn't you just say so?

well do you have a tutorial on how you shook it, or anyone else have a tutorial on how to shake it, and open it up. their entire ipod hd shaking journey. the quest to make it work once again.
Uh, I thought I did "just say so". Anyhow, I'm not sure there's enough to this to make it tutorial-worthy. Opening the thing up was really the most difficult part, and really, it wasn't that difficult. Look at the pictures -- just the opening up part -- www dot notpopular dot com/blog/comments.php?blogID=63. Be careful with the connectors, etc. (goes without saying).

Once it was open the "shaking" I did was moderate. I held the drive in one hand and well, jiggled it. To see if the shaking "worked", I had the thing on so I looked at the screen, and I also listened to the drive (held my ear to it) to see if the whiring/stop/starting thing still happened. It didn't. The screen showed the iPod had booted normally. I put it all back together again. Voila.

Really, if your iPod is dead and past warranty, like mine was, you can't really lose here. The worst that happens is that it still doesn't work.

Last edited by noahd1; 12-28-2005 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:38 PM

Freshman Lounger

As someone who works on computers everyday I can't say that shaking any hard drive is a good thing. If it works for some that's great but you could wind up messing your iPod up beyond repair. Reformatting the drive might fix it for you.

Put the HTTP in front of the link below to go to a possible solution.

discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=288180&tstart=0
Old 12-28-2005, 03:51 PM

Freshman Lounger

ok, i took the ipod apart, disconnect the top part of the hardrive (think its only half) from the connector thing, shook it and still the same problem. please let me no if i did it correctly.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:59 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by mythic
As someone who works on computers everyday I can't say that shaking any hard drive is a good thing. If it works for some that's great but you could wind up messing your iPod up beyond repair. Reformatting the drive might fix it for you.

Put the HTTP in front of the link below to go to a possible solution.

discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=288180&tstart=0
Of course I agree with you, but you know, formatting a hard drive and "shaking it a little" seem like two mutually exclusive solutions. Not being a hardware guy, I couldn't tell you why the shaking thing works, but it did for me. My uneducated guess is that there's something funky going on with the heads of the drive where they can get "stuck" -- I would love to hear a more educated answer.

I don't see how a hard drive that needs to be reformatted could be fixed by a little shake. Is that what Knoppix does? Pretty advanced software

Topic: I have discovered an ipod Solution! To the number one Problem! The folder icon!!!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.