Horribly dissapointed with the apple store - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Horribly dissapointed with the apple store

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-29-2003, 10:08 PM

adi
Freshman Lounger

Thumbs down Horribly dissapointed with the apple store

I check if this is the right forum for this, and I think so.

This is long

I had a 15Gb refurbished Ipod from apple store web order last month. The ipod malfunctioned a day after I got it, I called them for return, they gave me authorization code. but then it worked, so I didnt' return it. (short version, actually more than that)

Last week I called them to ask about why my ipod has so many scracthes on the back. I talked to costumer service, and he said " hey, you have a return authorization code already, return the ipod, the replacement is waiting for you once you returned it!".
I didn't ever ask for replacement, so I ask him specifically if that's true, he said he is absolutely positive.

So I sent it back to the apple store... after 5 working days still no answer, I called them , the costumer service said, that they received my ipod and the replacement will be sent any time.

Today after 7 working days still no news, so I called them again and talked to the sales department and guess what they said?? they said " we don't see any replacement for your ipod"

I was confused, mad, puzzled, and astonished
and sad .

I had an alive Ipod (with scracthes), I asked them for advice, they told me to send it back to them promising they'll send me a replacement, and finally they told me they don't have anything for me!

The technical support, the costumer service, and the sales dept told me different information. This is incredible! such a reputable company with the worse inventory system I have ever dealt with

They said they will credit back my money, but they won't pay the shipping that i have to pay to return the ipod (even though it's their fault telling me false information)

I could have asked them to send the ipod back to me once they polished it (if they were willing to do so), but i had enough.

I will not order anything for apple store ever again, refurbished or not. The personel were all friendly, I talked Jennifer, to the manager and she said sorry that this thing had to happen to me, she was really apologetic. I did complain to her about the inventory system and the quality control of the refurbished product.

I still like the Ipod, I am considering on getting a new one locally. This complain is strictly to the apple store.
I hope nobody ever has to deal with such discomfort like I did.

-Adi-

PS: Before flamming me with message on how good the apple store is, or how trouble free the refurbished items are. I admit this might be a rare occurance, for their sake, I really hope so

Old 10-29-2003, 10:14 PM

Jackonicko
Retired

It's an exceptionally rare occurence, but I can see that it would make you as mad as hell.

But imagine the response if you'd bought a second hand iPod and it malfunctioned a few days later. Not many ordinary Joes will give you a return code, etc.

At least you will get a replacement, or your money back.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:11 AM

Long Time Podder

I agree, I would be extremely frustrated but to be honest while I don?t know the "long" version of why your iPod did not work initially it sounds like you may of had an iPod that could have you given you some trouble down the line.
Apple provides a good warranty on refurbished products so you most likely would have been covered but their warranty does not cover frustration and you may have been sorry you ever ordered one.

They did the right thing by refunding your money. Take the cash, throw in an extra few bucks and order yourself a brand new iPod. You tried the refurb route, which works well for many, but now I would reward myself for trying to be economical and get myself a new one.

I like to try and reward myself from time to time.

2nd Gen 20 Gig, 3rd Gen 15 Gig*
2005 Update - Sold the 2nd Gen 20, "TAP'D" the 3rd Gen 15 and now have a 4th Gen 60 gig iPod Photo, 1 Gig Shuffle, 2 Gig Black Nano, and 60 gig iPod Video.
Win XP/Win2K Combo Setup*
iMac 17" G5 (2nd Rev)
iBook 12" G4
Old 10-30-2003, 10:44 AM

The internet is great for ordering stuff from home or stuff that you can't get locally BUT for big price items, if they're available locally, do so. It makes warranty and repair work sooo much easier. And its easier to discuss problems with a person to whom you can show the defective device.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:04 PM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeM
The internet is great for ordering stuff from home or stuff that you can't get locally BUT for big price items, if they're available locally, do so. It makes warranty and repair work sooo much easier. And its easier to discuss problems with a person to whom you can show the defective device.
The only problem I've had when ordering on the net is on the Amazon Marketplace buying a Rio Riot. I ordered it then saw the iPOD about 2 hours later. So cancelled the Rio Riot which took about 3 weeks to refund.

Also when buying my guitar amp for christmas I accidently pressed the submit button twice, so I got two amps. One had better speakers so I kept that one an sent the other back, which took a couple of days to sort out. But that was my fault anyways, but I got a better amp out of it in the end .

However, I've brought guitars for about ?1000, the iPOD etc. and I've never had any problems.

The one things that I don't like about the Apple shop is you have to wait so long (a whole week). Most respectable companies can do 24 hour delivery now. They say they are building 'your' iPOD, but I highly doubt it, the iPOD is probably mass-produced somewhere in India or China and shipped to the UK, where they have millions of made iPODs in stock.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:23 AM

Amplioholic

that does suck, i'd not stand for that, it's incredible!

THEIR fault means you haven't got the device you paid a ton of money for AND you lose the shipping charge as well? Because of THEIR mistake? Is that wrong or is that wrong...

20GB 4th Gen iPod
Team College Budget!
iBook G4
Old 10-31-2003, 05:57 PM

Freshman Lounger

Similar experience

I have sent in my iPod for the second time to have a display problem corrected and I too have had different answers from different people. After having two reps tell me that my problem was indeed valid and that a replacement was warranted, I sent it in to be replaced only to have the original unit returned to me and a software reset (which did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to fix the problem) performed.

I called again to send it in, spoke with a tech support person who was only interested in selling me a service pack and would not even talk to me about a KNOWN HARDWARE PROBLEM, so I called back and spoke with a customer service lady, who was very nice. She transferred me to a tech named Jeff, who told me that, if the unit had been returned unrepaired, then it must be within the specifications of Apple and thus nothing must be wrong. (After reading the warranty, there is nothing in it that indicates that shodows and pixels darker than the rest of the display are within specifications) Despite the fact that the display did not work properly, he seemed to think that paying full price and getting a defective unit was entirely o.k. I thanked him for his lack of help and told him I would keep sending it in until it was fixed.

I am VERY DISAPPOINTED with Apple service. Your experience with inconsistent messages from the different people (two days ago I called and was told by a tech that there was a problem and if there was an Apple store nearby (there isn't), take it there and they would swap it out no questions asked), I am led to believe they don't care about their customers enough to fix a problem with the unit. It has left me very disappointed with Apple and it certainly is not the way that companies should treat their customers.

At this point, if they would offer me my money back, I would take it. The sad fact is that, before this indifference from Apple, I loved my iPod and, pending the problem (that existed from DAY ONE and has been CONSTANT), I would have recommended it to anyone. Now, I would recommend checking the unit out thoroughly immediately after purchase and returning it promptly to the store if there were ANY PROBLEMS rather that go through Apple service. Maybe that is the way Apple wants it. I would like to think not, but after my experience with them, I cannot recommend them to anyone.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:06 PM

adi
Freshman Lounger

Sounds to me they need to do a MAJOR tune up in quality control and management.
still, I still like the ipod but now the fund is open to other brands like karma, or iriver, $400 doesn't mean that much for them apple I guess.

Chadstur:
If that happens to you again, politely ask the person you are taking to, and tell him that you will post what he said in the internet forum as he quoted, that might make him to think twice.
I wish I had done this my self.

SpideyPod: I agree with you with the initial and potential problem, I was too happy to get it work. By the way the way I fixed it wasn't covered anywhere in any manual or any forum.

Aptmunich: Complete agree with you. Apparently they rather to lose one costumer than to RETURN small amount shipping of fee.

-Adi-

Last edited by adi; 10-31-2003 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:47 AM

Freshman Lounger

Yeah, I will never order from the Apple Store (online) every again either- I ordered a refurb a few months ago, and every week for about 2 months, they said shipping friday, shipping friday, it was very aggravating.

Topic: Horribly dissapointed with the apple store

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.