Car Charger broke my iPod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Troad781

I recently bought a Scosche IPTRNS01 Car Charger/FM Modulator from Wally World. I was riding around and I started smelling a burning smell. My iPod then shut off, I unpluged it and the charger cord smelled burnt to hell as well as the plug on the iPod. Every now and then, it will turn on with the Sad apple.com/support screen. When I plug it into the wall charger, nothing happens. If I plug it into USB it shows a battery icon but it doesn't move at all. Has anybody else had similar problems? And what can I do to fix it?

Thanks

mrdantownsend

mrdantownsend
Website
www.freewebs.com
I'd say contact the seller or contact apple.

I'm not sure if apple's warranty covers third party hardware, but you could check.

Sounds like your 'car charger' fried your iPod. for good.

sorry about that man. hope you can get an answer :(

newmie66

sorry to be negative, but i don't think apple covers damage caused by third party hardware.

johnb554

Super Duper Lounger
sew the company that makes the charger....if you have enough time

mbastian

SCOSCHE HAS FRIED MY IPOD!
What a piece of *rap! These guys will be hearing from me for a long time! I bought a Schosche FM transmitter at Target (Model 500IUFMD) and 30 seconds after plugging in to the car charger a burning smell came off from the IPOD. It is dead now.
Pass it on: Do not buy Scosche products!
[email protected]

p8529

I had sent in my iPod to The PodDrop to be checked out, because I could not get mine to turn on. They told me mine had a burn and asked if I had it plugged into a car charger or an iHome , or something similar. I plugged mine into a wall charger using the iGo system (different tips to fit your electronics, ie phone, palm, etc) and don't know if that caused it or not. Anyway, it is fried. Could be repaired by replacing all the insides, but not worth the money. I had a 1st gen iPod Nano, and you can't retrieve the music off of it because it does not have a hard drive. I would highly recommend The PodDrop-they answer the phone, called after receiving the iPod to let you know they received it, and then called with the diagnosis. Even tho I did not receive good news, the were very helpful and will answer any questions you have. I had a hard time deciding where to send it to, and had called another place, left a message, and never heard from anyone. Called The PODDROP, they answered, asked what was going on, etc. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

DuncanM

I have an old Ipod which sadly has started to play up and finally today showed the death symbol (witrh a helpful reference to the apple website). I think the cause is my Bose Sound dock. I have noticed that left in the sound dock even after an album stopped playing, the ipod wudl never shut down and if you went up close to it you could hear an electric buzzing. I think the Sound dock fried my Ipod. I would be interested to know if this is a common problem. Its way too late for warranty for me so I guess I'll just have to upgrade.

imitchellg5

Website
randomcommonwealth.blogspot.com
Wow. Everyones iPod issues have migrated into one thread. Troad, contact the manufacturer. There is nothing that will force Apple to fix it since 3rd party products aren't part of an Apple warranty. Still, contact them. If the manufacturer has a "Made for iPod" logo on it, Apple will want to know that this is happening.

mbastian

mbastian said:
SCOSCHE HAS FRIED MY IPOD!
What a piece of *rap! These guys will be hearing from me for a long time! I bought a Schosche FM transmitter at Target (Model 500IUFMD) and 30 seconds after plugging in to the car charger a burning smell came off from the IPOD. It is dead now.
Pass it on: Do not buy Scosche products!
[email protected]
Give credit when credit is due...
Since last month, when my IPod was damaged by product manufactured by Scosche, I have been talking to their technical support people. They asked me to send the dead IPod and the defective transmitter for evaluation.
A couple of days ago I was contacted, confirming that the problem was a defective charger, and that they will refund me for the cost of the IPod and the FM transmitter.
So I would like to give Scosche credit for handling this very honestly. If you have experienced a similar problem, I would recommend contacting them directly.
Marcos