Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: ipod turns on then shuts right off

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-25-2005, 11:52 PM

Freshman Lounger

Exclamation ipod turns on then shuts right off

First off, I charged my ipod overnight, and when I turned it on, it was fully charged, but then, after like five minutes the battery icon was dead. Is that a sign that I need a new battery?

Second, I haven't put any music on it yet so I installed the updater software, and it said to restore it so I did, but now when I plug it in (through USB), it shows the apple logo then a picture of the end of the cable you plug into the ipod and an arrow. What does that mean? Also, a windows bubble pops up saying that "one of the devices connected has malfunctioned and Windows doesn't recognize it". It didn't do that before I restored it so why is it doing it now?

Please, can anyone help me with my two questions? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-26-2005, 12:32 AM

Scratchless 30 GB 5G

It's more likely a sign that it wasn't really charging. Does it show a lightning bolt over the battery icon (and does it stay there for hours on end)?

The second issue you described happened with a lot of people. You just have to reset it (and possibly reboot) and it will be fine.

--filburt1
The iPod Decision Chart: http://www.turtletips.com/ipodchart.pdf

"No Poaching/Pimping/Soliciting members and advertising of website forums" - Please read Forum Guidelines. Thank you. iLounge Team
Old 11-27-2005, 02:15 AM

Freshman Lounger

Yes, there is a lightning bolt over the battery icon, but I don't know if it was like that for hours on end because I had it charge overnight at my brother's house because I don't have a FireWire port. I didn't disconnect it either so I don't know, but when I turned it on, it was fully charged. Then, 5 mins. later, it was completely dead.

How do I reset/reboot it if it won't stay on?

Quote:
Originally posted by filburt1
It's more likely a sign that it wasn't really charging. Does it show a lightning bolt over the battery icon (and does it stay there for hours on end)?

The second issue you described happened with a lot of people. You just have to reset it (and possibly reboot) and it will be fine.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:22 AM

Scratchless 30 GB 5G

If you see the Apple logo, it means it either reset itself or ran very low on battery (or has been idle for 12 hours or so).

If you have a dedicated charger, plug it into that, wait a few hours, turn it on, and reset it (turn Hold on and off, then press and hold Menu and Center until the Apple logo appears).

If it really is dying that fast, then I see three possibilities:
  • The hard drive won't spin up, and the constant resistance and high power draw kills the battery.
  • The battery is defective.
  • It's not really charging.

--filburt1
The iPod Decision Chart: http://www.turtletips.com/ipodchart.pdf

"No Poaching/Pimping/Soliciting members and advertising of website forums" - Please read Forum Guidelines. Thank you. iLounge Team

Topic: ipod turns on then shuts right off

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.