Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Best video formats for viewing on TV

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-10-2005, 11:59 AM

Junior Lounger

Best video formats for viewing on TV

Hi,

I have just tested my ipod video on my TV, and I was initially impressed, but on closer inspection, found the video to be really washed out, and the sound to be very quiet.

I just wanted to know if anyone knows the best format for viewing on TV?

I have videora, so would like to know all the best settings - file formats, resolution, sound, etc...

Thanks guys!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:03 PM

Senior Lounger

yeah i really want to know this. sum1 post the answer plz

***|| 5G 30GB ipod || 10GB music || Windows XP || Xbox 360 ||***
Old 11-10-2005, 02:20 PM

Junior Lounger

Video on TV

Your iPod will show videos at 320X240 resolution on it's screen - a TV screen is 512X384 (NTSC) or thereabouts, but there is another difference - computers use square pixels, Televisions use rectangular pixels. I haven't tried to view videos on my televison yet - but that is most likely the cause of your issues.

320X240 is comparable to VHS on your TV. The iPod will theoretically show a video up to 480X480 which should look better on the TV - but if you want to view the same video on your iPod it will use more battery life as it downconverts it (more processor use) to 320X240 resolution. I don't know if you can set rectangle or square pixels but you could try it and see if it helps.

What does this all mean? if you want to view the videos on your TV try to set it for rectangle pixels and 480X480 - if you want to view the same video on your iPod, convert it to 320X240 to conserve battery life. You will also get better video if you use S-Video from the dock instead of composite (RCA cables).

Hope this helps.

-Dan
Old 11-10-2005, 08:13 PM

Junior Lounger

All that said and done, I found my problem!

Seems the new universal dock I have has a problem... used my old photo dock, and the colours came out just fine!

Yup, Comparible to VHS it is, not bad at all for watching old episodes of futurama!

Topic: Best video formats for viewing on TV

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.