Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How to downgrade firmware in 4G Ipod?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-30-2005, 07:53 AM

Freshman Lounger

How to downgrade firmware in 4G Ipod?

I have a monochrome click wheel 4G 20GB Ipod. I recently upgraded the firmware to ver 3.1
Since then my "Smart playlists" have no been updating automatically e.g. playcount doesn't increase once my song is completed.

I then read somewhere on the internet that the lastest firmware actually is buggy in that it doesn't do a live update of the smart playlists.

Now, I have the old ipod software that came with my ipod Cd. I tried uninstalling all ipod software and updates (except iTunes) from my Windows XP SP2 PC, and reinstall the original ipod software (from CD). However, this doesn't work and I ipod firware version is still 3.1

Can someone please help me to downgrade the firmware to a lower version?

Thanks in advance.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-03-2005, 06:59 AM

Freshman Lounger

Does anyone know how to do this? I am pushing this post up a a bit.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:07 PM

Freshman Lounger

Ichijoe posted the following in the thread:

Quote:
@Xball89

It's to late?!?!

Not for those who know the tricks to good iPod managment! Best of all you can revert back to you old iPodOS (barring that you acherived it or that you still have the original CD),. Here's how you can do it!

1) Just Restore your iPod back to an Older Copy of the iPodOS NOTE: THIS WILL FORMAT THE IPOD. Thuss BAD, BAD, BAD... But, it will get the Job done. If you manage to backup all your Music Folders on your iPod (Fxx ~Fxx) located ipod_Control\Devices\Music IIRC!

2) A much more robust way of peddling back to an Older iPodOS Ver. Gain access to you iPod though Windows Expoloer (you might have to tick the 'Use Disk mode' Box in iTunes so that your iPod does not self-eject after iTunes does it's thing. (BTW: You need to do that much for the above too).

In anycase open Windows Explorer (Win+E) and goto Options and make sure to disable ANY AND ALL 'Hide File and Folders'! or you will not be able to view the contents of your iPod!!

Ok now back to the Hack? ok..

You need to access your iPod at x:\<iPodNAME>\iPod_Control\Devices
You should see Two Files here 'Preferences' and 'SysInfo'. It's the 'SysInfo' File we intrested in! So Open it up with 'Wordpad' (to get the best layout!).

Find the part of your Sysinfo that looks like this!

buildID: 0x02308000 (2.3)
visibleBuildID: 0x02308000 (2.3)

NOTE:I own a 3G so you Numbers can and will vairy!

Edit those lines like this...

buildID: 0x02108000 (2.1)
visibleBuildID: 0x02108000 (2.1)

Note I turnd the 3's back into 1's. THATS IT! Save As and exit. Just do not let you iPod reboot itself or you will have to redo this step!

Ok now the hard part finding that older version iPodOS (assumeing you have it you should be able to run the Update Function as opposed to the Restore (i.e. Reformat), on your iPod.

Bam welcome back to your prior iPodOS and your Smart Playlists.

Preaty simple when you know how!!!

Topic: How to downgrade firmware in 4G Ipod?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.