Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Video Fast Forward Bug?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 10-26-2005, 04:56 AM

Junior Lounger

Video Fast Forward Bug?

Picture the scene, working from home, halfway through Lost episode when the phone rings and your boss needs you to do some work.

Well I duly switched off iPod, did work then came back to finish off.

Was 20mins into the Episode and so fast forwarded. After a minute of fast forwarding the screen froze but number still jumped up so thought, ok its still doing it.

Let go of fast forward button tho and after 10secs it goes back to the video menu!

Please can others try this and if its a bug I will try find out how to report it.

Thanks!

5G Black 60GB iPod - Loving it!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-26-2005, 09:59 AM

In a Galaxy Far Far Away

It also happens with my iPod, if I try fast forwarding for more than 5 minutes of screen time, I get a blank screen and then, as you say, it returns to the video menu. I assume itís happening once your fast forwarded position, passes the video position that has been preloaded into the RAM.

16gb Touch, 5th gen 60gb Black iPod, 4th gen 40gb White iPod, 2nd gen 8gb Black Nano, Etymotic ER4p

18,658 EAC/Lame V1 vbr- new Tunes
Old 10-26-2005, 10:50 AM

Pod obsessed

Yeah, it's flakey for me too ... I have a 30GB

Pam
Old 10-26-2005, 11:39 AM

Anyone having this should report it here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipod.html

If it is an important issue so Apple can post something into it's knowlege base if needed.

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:21 AM

Freshman Lounger

now are u guys pushing the arrows to fast forward?

I think what you have to do is push the centre circl button, and then scroll through the time like u were changing the star rating. If u press the button with the arrows i think it tries to skip to the next video, which may explain why ur screen goes black and then to the menu.

it goes black to load the next vid, but im guessing if u hold the arrow down it skips through all ur vids and to the end of ur last vid, and then brings you back to the menu.

Hope that helps.

If i misunderstood. sorry. You should contact apple.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:29 AM

Junior Lounger

well this isn't a problem for all 5G iPod's. I only have one video that goes for longer than 5 mins and that's the Brighton Beach Fatboy Slim DVD. Tis a 700Mb file and i can skip as much as a want either holding down the arrows or circiling the wheel.
Just thought i'd let you know it's not with all 5Gs
Old 10-28-2005, 10:44 AM

Junior Lounger

I usually use the scrubber to move around in the videos, but whenever I press the next button instead of playing the next video it brings me back to then video menu screen, it that normal?

-------------------------------
4G 20GB Monochrome
5G 30GB Black
iPod Touch 16GB
Old 11-06-2005, 03:37 PM

Freshman Lounger

Cool Ipod Video FF Bug

Experiencing the same problem since I purchased my Ipod <the day it hit the stores>. It seems to boot me back into the video menu screen after several seconds of trying to FF the video... extremely irritating if you left off half way through the last episode.

Possible Fix:

I tried letting the video play for about 30 to 40 s before I start to FF and it seems to work. Also FF just under 4 minutes...release let it play for several seconds and FF again. Neither one of these solutions give a guarantee fix, but it has worked MOST of the times I have tried it.

Hope it Helps

Vibe ON
Old 11-06-2005, 06:05 PM

Freshman Lounger

Re: iPod Video FF Bug

Quote:
Originally posted by VibinVo
... extremely irritating if you left off half way through the last episode.

Maybe you didnt read it: Use the Scrub Function with the click wheel is much easier for going back to a position...

Cheers

Sami
Old 11-06-2005, 06:46 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by Lovingthevideo
now are u guys pushing the arrows to fast forward?

I think what you have to do is push the centre circl button, and then scroll through the time like u were changing the star rating. If u press the button with the arrows i think it tries to skip to the next video, which may explain why ur screen goes black and then to the menu.

it goes black to load the next vid, but im guessing if u hold the arrow down it skips through all ur vids and to the end of ur last vid, and then brings you back to the menu.

Hope that helps.

If i misunderstood. sorry. You should contact apple.
Yeah, thats how I FF, works great.. I also hit pause, then do this, and unpause.. Pushing he pad to the right to FF seems silly.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:26 PM

Freshman Lounger

Lightbulb Instantly go back to position left off at!!!

It sounds like to me most of you guys are simply trying to get back to the position in the movie where you left off at, by fast forwarding the video. If that is all you want you can turn on this option in iTunes called "Remember Playback Position".

Do a get info on the video you want in iTunes and then click on the "Options" tab, then check the check box for "Remember Playback Position". Now sync you iPod and the next time you watch your videos on the ipod it will start up right where you left off at. This is really handy if you get interupted while you are watching 2 hour long movies.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:30 PM

Freshman Lounger

I've noticed a related issue. Let's say you've got a TV episode and you don't want to watch the final credits. You scrub to the end. Instead of going to the next in the list (if any), it jumps back to the beginning. When you look at it in iTunes after synchronising, you'll notice that the Play Count and the Date Last Played haven't been updated. This is annoying when you've got a smart playlist that gives all videos not played, i.e., with a play count of 0.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:50 PM

Freshman Lounger

i own a black 30GB that i purchased on the online store because they hadn't hit canadian stores at that point. i just tested everything on my ipod with a 45min episode of friends and it works fine.

i usually click the center button and scroll through the time like you do when you FF a song or add stars. this is faster than holding the skip key. my screen didn't black out and after a short delay, the video jumped and started playing as usual. this worked even when skipping 20+ minutes.

holding the skip key also worked the same although the FF rate was much slower.

the ony issue was turning my ipod off afterwards. there was a lot of battery drained and holding the play/pause key to shut off was unresponsive. i tried playing a song and then pausing and shutting off but that wasn't working either.

i eventually went back to the main menu after about 45 seconds and managed to shut off from there.

hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:57 AM

Freshman Lounger

That's Not A Bug... It's A Feature

Quote:
Originally posted by Japester
I've noticed a related issue. Let's say you've got a TV episode and you don't want to watch the final credits. You scrub to the end. Instead of going to the next in the list (if any), it jumps back to the beginning. When you look at it in iTunes after synchronising, you'll notice that the Play Count and the Date Last Played haven't been updated. This is annoying when you've got a smart playlist that gives all videos not played, i.e., with a play count of 0.
Well, play count counts the already played files. If you don't hear/see it to the end, it's not "played"! Otherwise it would be marked as played if you just saw/heart the first two seconds... that would be wrong. Got the point?

Sami
Old 11-07-2005, 02:35 AM

ipod adviser

click wheel is not jogshuttle. it's still not ideal video ipod but with functionality. that's why it's not working that way. plus, that's not bug. simply hard drive need time to read. but since new ipod response has been slow, I didn't expect that.

16GB 2nd Gen. ipod touch, 8GB iphone 3G, 8GB first gen. ipod touch.

new Apple in-earphone, V-moda Vibe II, Ultimate ears Super fi 4v, iSkin Cerulean X1, Shure SE210

new 15-inch unibody Macbook Pro, Intel core2duo 24-inch iMac, new Apple LED 24-inch monitor, Sony Vaio VGN-NR180E (200GB HDD, core2duo) 15.4-inch wide screen.

Topic: Video Fast Forward Bug?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.