Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: hung up "do not disconnect " screen

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-25-2005, 11:26 AM

Freshman Lounger

Unhappy hung up "do not disconnect " screen

I posted on the Apple board but can't find anyone to help me out. I am trying to
fix my confused ipod. It get stuck on the "do not disconnect" button when I plug into
my PC. Sometimes it updates the songs, sometimes it doesn't, but regardless it does
not go off the "do not disconnect "screen. Has anyone had this happen? I am running
Win XP and can't figure this out. I am going to take this back if I can't figure this out.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-25-2005, 11:45 AM

Scratchless 30 GB 5G

Although you really shouldn't, it's often safe to just pull the plug if it gets in that state.

Look for the Eject Hardware icon in the system tray (bottom-right of the screen near the clock), click it, and choose either "Apple Computer..." or "USB Mass Storage Device", whichever you see. Or, much simpler, click the Eject icon in iTunes next to your iPod in the Source list.

If your iPod is enabled for disk use, you have to do this every time.

A generic tip is to make sure you have the latest updates for your computer. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ in Internet Explorer (only) and get all of the latest updates.

--filburt1
The iPod Decision Chart: http://www.turtletips.com/ipodchart.pdf

"No Poaching/Pimping/Soliciting members and advertising of website forums" - Please read Forum Guidelines. Thank you. iLounge Team
Old 10-25-2005, 11:47 AM

Junior Lounger

Hmmm, happend to me once or twice while hooking up my 4.5G/60GB to an XP box via Firewire. For some reason the Firewire card doesn't like the ipod to much and eventually reports an error when transfering large amounts of data.

I never 'lost' any data or corrupted the HD (at least that's what I think/hope) but it usually got stuck on the "do not disconnect" screen.

Whenever it happend I made sure that the ipod is disconnected on the XP side (i.e. disconnect in iTunes and XP), counted till ten and the just unplugged it. Everything was fine after pulling the plug.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:50 AM

Junior Lounger

This happens to me every now and then. If you notice, on iTunes it will safe it's safe to disconnect, so I just disconnect, and then it doesn't happen again for a while. My recommendation is to do a reboot of your pc, then from now on, when you want to update your iPod, do it with iTunes quit, so that iTunes doesn't open until you plug it in. That has a better track record of working from my experience.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:57 PM

Junior Lounger

Hey dudes
I've been researching this problem for a couple of days. Here's what happens to my ipod black video:

I keep my library @ home but use my work comp to listen to music. I plug my pod into the work comp, and it asks me if I want to replace the contents of the ipod with the contents of this library (nooooooo!!!!), so I click no. Then I go to ipod options and enable manual updating. This frees the ipod in itunes (ungrey's it) and I can now access all of my pod's songs and playlists. I listen away!

Then when it's time to go home (or go out to the field), I click the eject button next to the ipod logo on the left hand side of the screen. It hangs for about 6 minutes or so, then tells me that another app is using the pod. Rats. So I go down into the sys tray and try to eject it thru the usb safe to remove hardware thingy, no dice. Same deal: hangs, then says NO!

After reading the forums here, I found that the only way to solve this issue (when you experience the above) is to go directly into My Computer, right click on the ipod in the drives list, and choose eject.

Works every time!

But my question is:

How much, if at all, safer is doing this than just pulling the plug out???
Old 06-22-2006, 01:06 PM

NOT a mind reader

^^ After you Eject it, you should still use the System tray option of safely removing hardware.

When you Eject it, you remove it from being "read" by Windows Explorer, but power is still going to the port. This can be verified, by turning off your iPod and seeing the charging icon. (Edit: well you don't have to turn it off, but on a nano screen the charging icon can be tiny when looking at the screen menu. )

When you Safely Remove Hardware, you stop power from going to the USB port. If you turn off your iPod, there is no charging icon.

QFT: "The iPod is not a device in which you can store your music collection w/o having it backed up using another option. - honeybee1236"
-----
iLounge URLs: iPod/iTunes Beginner's Guide | Copy Music from iPod to Computer | iPod 101/201 | iPod FAQs | Last 24h. | vBulletin FAQ

Apple URLs: Battery Test | iPod manuals | iPod 101 | iPod Higher learning | iTunes Support | iPod and iPhone: TV Out support | Setting Vol. Limit | iPod with 2+ computers | How much stuff will fit?

Last edited by mithra; 06-22-2006 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:54 PM

Reclined Lounger

It is safe to disconnect the iPod when there is power going to the port, though Windows doesn't like it.

Topic: hung up "do not disconnect " screen

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.