MAC equivalent to XPLAY? - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: MAC equivalent to XPLAY?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-22-2005, 09:00 AM

Freshman Lounger

MAC equivalent to XPLAY?

Please choose the appropriate forum for this topic. Thank you. Please choose the appropriate forum for this topic. Thank you. Is there a decent program for MACs similar to XPLAY for windows?

To be more specific, I want to be able to broswe and drag/drop to and from my iPod as if it were any other hard-drive. For example, drag music from the iPod to my HD... but also from the mac to the iPod (without using iTunes as an intermediary).

Or photos.

Or anything else.

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:06 AM

Look in the software section under Mac. The link is on the toolbar above.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:49 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the reply... I've done that, and have even tried some of the programs in there (Xpod and iPod Rip), but these are (from what I've been able to discern) purely IPOD ---> iTUNES programs.

I'm looking for something that essentially allows me to browse and read/write the entire iPod as if it were a mounted drive (which is how XPlay treats it). If there are other programs in the software section that do that, I wasn't able to easily discern it...

Appreciate any further help, specificity, or recommendations.

Charlie
Old 10-22-2005, 11:51 AM

welcome to the lounge

maybe try something like ilinkpod which revelas the hidden files structure on the iPod, so 'theoretically' you should be able to drag and drop from one to the other. but not sure if this is enough of what you're looking for.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:40 AM

Freshman Lounger

Did you find anything else?

Hi there,

Sorry to dig this one up but I've been searching for the same sort of thing for a while now.

xPlay on windows does everything I want - it means that I can just plug in my iPod then drag and drop files on to it as though it was a drive on my PC.

Now I bought a powerbook (1st mac) a few months back and I've been looking for something that does the same thing on Os X. If you take a look at xPlay:

(I'd posted a link here but I'm not an established member so it doesn't work! It's made by mediafour so go to their .com and then check under the products section.)

You can see it's got a proper interface and everything, it doesn't just give access to the folders that are hidden, so like thezippy asked back in Oct, is there anything out there that is similar or am I stuck with hidden folders etc. etc.

Thanks v.much.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:49 AM

there is a newish app called iPodDisk that lets you view the contents of the iPod via Finder, as though it were just another disk, nothing hidden.

and it's free

btw welcome to the lounge, and your pBook
Old 01-27-2006, 11:07 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for that yinyang and thanks for the welcome,

That is the sort of thing I'm after but unfortunately that's only for getting music off your iPod, you can't put files on with it:

"From a user’s perspective, there’s no difference between the emulated drive and regular local folders, with the exception that iPodDisk drive is read-only."

Any other ideas?
Old 02-11-2006, 10:08 PM

Maker of Grilled Cheese

Am I missing something? The iPod comes standard with the ability to use as an external hard disk that you can browse and drag and drop files to. You can't EXECUTE said files using the iPod's interface...that is, you couldn't drag-and-drop an MP3 onto your iPod and play the MP3 on it...but it's a perfectly functional hard drive without any additional software.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by lkalliance
You can't EXECUTE said files using the iPod's interface...that is, you couldn't drag-and-drop an MP3 onto your iPod and play the MP3 on it
That's exactly what I want to be able to do. I'm not a big fan of iTunes (sorry to say it!) and I don't want to be forced in to using it to transfer my music when I'm using my powerbook.

I still haven't found anything that is as good as XPlay on my windows machine, but I'll keep looking!
Old 04-04-2006, 08:11 PM

Veteran Lounger

Keith's iPod Photo Reader.

http://www.unm.edu/~keithw/software/...otoReader.html

freerice - a vocab quiz that donates rice
Old 04-13-2006, 01:16 AM

YamiPod will allow you to transfer files to and from the iPod and works from the iPod HD. You will have to check the website for any updates as to it's other features.

Topic: MAC equivalent to XPLAY?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.