Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Should I change my battery myself? 3G 20 gig

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-14-2005, 04:40 PM

Freshman Lounger

Unhappy Should I change my battery myself? 3G 20 gig

Hi there:
Well, it's come to the point that I need to replace my battery. Two years have gone by quickly, for the price I originally paid, it seems very unfair.

<SIGH>

Here's the deal. I think I should be able to change the battery myself. I found this great video that shows you how. I would post the link, but I'm not "established" enough yet to post URLs.

Here's my question. The original 3G 20 gig iPod comes with a 750mAh battery. I have found a 950mAh one on Ebay. I would like to post the link, but I can't. The item says it's "Internal Li-Polymer Apple IPOD 3G Battery. BRAND NEW. 950 mAh ultra high capacity.

The item claims it's fine to use, but I'm always sceptical.

Can you please let me know what you think? I don't have the money to invest in having Apple change the battery for me. I don't want to have to buy a battery adapter either.

Please let me know your thoughts - you iPod experts you!

Thanks.
Dave

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-14-2005, 09:35 PM

HaHaHa ShowMe WhatYou Got

Is there such thing as a 20gig 3rd gneration ipod?
Old 10-14-2005, 10:06 PM

Pro Lounger

Yeah there is such thing as a 20 gig 3rd gen. In fact I have one.

If you are confident that you can change it yourself then go for it! I would just reccomend buying it from here http://www.newertech.com/ipod because: 1. You know you are getting something new. And two: I searched the web for a 950 mAh ipod battery and i found squat.

Ghost ride, ghost ride
Old 10-15-2005, 09:13 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for your input. I'd like to learn more about this 950mAh battery. To be certain that it's compatible with my iPod. I don't want to burn the HD out with too much power.

I just found another listing for the same batter on Ebay. I'd like to buy it from one of these guys because it comes as a kit, with the tool needed to open the iPod properly.

I can't post a URL here yet, but if you go onto Ebay and search for: ipod battery 3g the 950mAh kit one comes up.

Please let me know. They seem like legit Ebay dealers, but I want to be sure I don't kill me iPod.

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:13 PM

Freshman Lounger

if the voltage matches and the connections match, that's all you need to worry about. i'm sure the iPod battery is proprietary, so it's going to be the only battery that works. as far as the mA goes, that wouldn't "burn" anything. the mA is how much staying power the battery has, in terms of how long it will hold a charge. the more mA or amperage, the longer-lasting the battery is. the voltage variance would (possibly) cause trouble, but since i'm sure it's a very specific iPod-only battery probably made for the iPod by another company it's going to be precise.

hope that helps with the "burn the HD out" thing.

Topic: Should I change my battery myself? 3G 20 gig

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.