Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: can itunes search for ALL music ?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-24-2005, 04:16 PM

Freshman Lounger

can itunes search for ALL music ?

i've just bought an ipod nano, literally a few hours ago, an i've got some music on it. now i am stricktly a media player person, i cant use macs, so my question is: can i get itunes to find all my music for me ? like media player does. because i do import file or whatever it is, go through my music, find cd etc... asks me to convert or not, i say yes. something say there's an error or something...

...can anyone help me ?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-24-2005, 04:59 PM

Hi and welcome to iLounge!

Yes, iTunes can search your computer for music, either within a specific folder or acrsos the entire hard drive (although if you have multiple hard drives, you would probably have to do one at a time). iTunes normally asks you if you want to do this the first time you run it after installing it, but if you didn't do it then, you can still do it by using File->Add Folder and just specifying the root of your hard disk.

When searching for music, iTunes will simply import any MP3 or AAC files that it finds. WMA files that it finds will be converted, if possible, to the default import format (which you can set under Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Importing).

You weren't specific as to the error message that you received, but the likely cause of iTunes having a problem converting a WMA file is if that file is protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM), which is generally as a result of having been purchased from an online music service such as Napster or MusicMatch. DRM-protected files cannot be converted by any software, so this isn't really specifically a result of iTunes.

If you have a large library of DRM-protected WMA files, the most you might be able to do is to burn them to CD and then reimport them into iTunes in the same way that you would for a purchased CD.

Note, however, that not all purchased WMA files include a license that allows for burning to CD. For instance, music purchased through Napster-to-Go's subscription service would fall into this category.

Old 09-24-2005, 05:02 PM

Freshman Lounger

oooh.....thanks, it seems to be doing something now, what it is, i dont know. but thanks for the help !

Topic: can itunes search for ALL music ?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.