Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod as USB Mass Storage Device

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-23-2005, 02:36 PM

Freshman Lounger

iPod as USB Mass Storage Device

Hi. I'm currently in the market for a 4G iPod through the deal Amazon has right now. But if I buy it, I want to use the iPod as a USB Mass Storage device to store my work files. I know that you can do this if you adjust the settings on iTunes, but what if iTunes isn't installed on a PC? Could you still just hook it up to a PC and have it recognized as a hard drive? Thanks.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-24-2005, 03:10 AM

Freshman Lounger

No. You can't. You still need itunes to get the ipod work as USB mass storage
Old 09-24-2005, 12:58 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by smudger14
No. You can't. You still need itunes to get the ipod work as USB mass storage
Aaaaa NO! You don't need iTunes to use it as just a hard drive (at least with the newer 4G iPods).

I have taken an iPod to a machine that has NEVER seen iTunes or anyother software related to the iPod, plug it in, and wait for XP to its driver install, or to a Mac, and see it as a removable drive. From there you can copy data files, programs, zips, etc. to and from the iPod.

If you don't want to use ANY music functions on the iPod you can take your iPod to a Mac, use the disk utility to erase the entire HD (format it as a FAT32). You will end up with an iPod with the Exclimation Folder icon on it (no music functionality), but when you plug it into a Mac or PC is shows up as a removable drive. Copy files to and from it all you want!

I did all of this as an experiment, just to see what would happen. I have even done a long, full format of the iPod!!! God forbid!!! Guess what... it still worked, as a hard drive.

If you want to use the music functionality, just re-run the updater software and choose 'restore'.

It's been fun trying to kill my iPod (now named Lazarus, because it keeps coming back from the dead).
Old 11-19-2005, 01:27 AM

Junior Lounger

Even if you use your ipod for music you can still use windows explorer to transfer other files to and from so long as win explorer sees it as a removable drive. You can't view the files on the ipod but is is handy back up and transfer.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:31 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by jayoval
Even if you use your ipod for music you can still use windows explorer to transfer other files to and from so long as win explorer sees it as a removable drive. You can't view the files on the ipod but is is handy back up and transfer.
Actually if go into the Folder Options in win explorer, you change it to show hidden and system files. Then you can see ALL the files. Includeing the music files on your ipod (if you have music files on it).

Example:
?:\iPod_Control\Music\F00\ABAV.mp3

What's cool, is that you can copy off the mp3 file and play it. It still has the ID3 tags in it, but it's just that it has a nonsensical name to it. You can rename it, after you copy it off somewhere, to something that makes sense. The poor mans way of recovering your music.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:05 PM

Junior Lounger

You can't see the files *on the ipod*. You can see them in windows explorer or my computer.

Topic: iPod as USB Mass Storage Device

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.