Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How do I play it through my computer without ITunes?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-21-2005, 12:34 AM

Freshman Lounger

Question How do I play it through my computer without ITunes?

How do I play my ipod with out itunes when it is hooked up to a computer? Have great speakers at work and would like to hear my ipod through them, but not allowed to have ITunes on my work computer. Can I hook it up through a port and then use my Windows to choose the ipod like a external drive? thanks!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-21-2005, 12:41 AM

Hi and welcome to iLounge!

While you could search through the iPod in disk mode and play the MP3/AAC files directly, they aren't really organized in any meaningful way, so it would be pretty cumbersome to search for specific files, or to play whole albums or playlists.

There's a useful utility that I've used to do this in the past called Pod Player, which you can find in our software section here on iLounge.

It's basically a standalone executable that you can store on the iPod itself, and just run directly from the iPod in disk mode. It will read the iPod's own database of track information and playlists, and allow you to select and play or copy any tracks from your iPod through your PC.

Old 09-21-2005, 01:05 AM

Freshman Lounger

If I use that can I still use ITunes at home to manage my music and such?
Old 09-21-2005, 01:07 AM

Absolutely. Pod Player isn't really a music management program so much as it's a utility to allow you to view, play, and copy tracks from your iPod.

It basically just reads the iPod database and allows you to play back your music.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:47 PM

Junior Lounger

So the Ipod will only function as a harddisk when Podplay plays it's music? Meaning also that play counts and such will not be uopdated?
Old 09-23-2005, 02:02 PM

Freshman Lounger

Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. No additional software needs to be installed or used, and disk mode is not necessary.

Get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable. Plug one end into the headphone jack of the iPod and the other end into the Audio In port on the computer.

Adjust the volume and your set.

dbr
Old 09-23-2005, 11:06 PM

Junior Lounger

Well in that case, you could also probably just connect the speakers to the Ipod.

I have my old pc Speakers set up in my bedroom and each evening I connect them with the remote on my iPod for my alarm - wake up playlist

Topic: How do I play it through my computer without ITunes?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.