30Gb Model - Duplicate Titles, Artists, Albums - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: 30Gb Model - Duplicate Titles, Artists, Albums

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-23-2003, 03:09 AM

Freshman Lounger

Angry 30Gb Model - Duplicate Titles, Artists, Albums

hi all,

just upgraded from 2nd gen 10gb to a 30gb. musicmatch has its share of problems, but i never had this one before my 30gb upgrade, so i think it's probably a firmware issue:

after syncing playlists (i've also tried syncing my entire library) the ipod shows duplicate listings of the same title, artists, and albums - but only for some titles, artists, etc.

it looks like the syncing process adds spaces to the title/artist/album fields, thereby making it seem to the ipod as if they are different titles/artists/albums. i think this is the case b/c duplicate titles, that are supposed to be short, sometimes scroll during playback.

i have a pretty big music library and having to scroll thru that many more artists, etc is kinda annoying.

anyone else experience this

ocinataS
Old 05-23-2003, 06:55 AM

Freshman Lounger

I am getting exactly the same thing - it seems like about half of the artists are listed 2/3 times. Often it looks like:

Artist
Artist ...
Artist

So your theory about spaces being added may be correct (the ... is the 'long' name being truncated).

I am using a 15GB model on XP.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:17 AM

use a tagging program like id3-taggit or drtag to retag your files, wherever necessary.

Click the image to open in full size.
"podVader" 20GB iPod U2 Special Edition/Etymotic ER-6i Panther ^^
Old 05-23-2003, 12:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

The problem is not with the tags per se - the files are tagged identically on the PC. This is why when I select one of the duplicate artist 'entries' it shows all the songs from that artist. For example, if I click on the first, second or third entry for 'Artist A' I will be able to see all the songs from that artist (as it is shown on the pc). The problem is that somewhere MMJB or the iPod is duplicating/triplicating artist entries, seemingly for random artists.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:56 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by robbie
The problem is not with the tags per se - the files are tagged identically on the PC. This is why when I select one of the duplicate artist 'entries' it shows all the songs from that artist. For example, if I click on the first, second or third entry for 'Artist A' I will be able to see all the songs from that artist (as it is shown on the pc). The problem is that somewhere MMJB or the iPod is duplicating/triplicating artist entries, seemingly for random artists.
yeah, i'm pretty sure this problem has nothing to do with the tagging. i went thru some of my files to check whether the fields had been changed and i didn't find any that were.

i'm a little confused now, though, about what causes this (MM or firmware). before i thought it was probably a firmware issue, but i installed ephpod, scapped all the songs on my ipod, and synced with eph. now the duplicates are gone. hmmm... maybe there is something wrong with the MM 7.5 version shipped with the new ipod (i had been using 7.5 with my old 10Gb but uninstalled it b4 setting up my new ipod). maybe it's a MM/firmware combo issue... who knows?

anyway, problem was fixed by using ephpod. only thing i don't like about syncing with eph is that i can't sync with dfx settings.

ocinataS
Old 05-25-2003, 10:17 AM

Freshman Lounger

Same Problem

I just upgraded as well from 20 to 30G model. Using the same version of MM this did not occur. I am let to believe that there is a compatability issue between the new ipod and MM7.5. I emailed the MM help desk people and have not received a reply.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:21 PM

Junior Lounger

same problem! It is just for one artist but she is listed twice in a row with all the songs under each listing. I have checked repeatedly to make sure the listings are exactly the same and they are. I tried removing them from the ipod then putting them back to no avail. I am going to erase everything on the ipod (restore) and then reinstall all the songs. Its strange. BTW I USE ITUNES!
Old 06-24-2004, 11:48 PM

Podder in the City

To correct duplicate artists you need to click all the songs by that artist by holding down control and clicking every one and then type the artist's name in. This way all the names are the same and the artist will only appear once.

Click the image to open in full size.

Topic: 30Gb Model - Duplicate Titles, Artists, Albums

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.