Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Got a used broken iPod, do I have a warranty?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-03-2005, 11:21 PM

Reclined Lounger

Unhappy Got a used broken iPod, do I have a warranty?

I just won the auction for a "broken" 3rd Generation 10GB iPod. The iPod itself is in great condition, it turns on, battery is good, but the only "problem" is that when turned on, a folder with an exlamation point appears. The iPod was used with a Mac computer, and he tried reformatting it, but it wouldn't even recognise the iPod. He said it could be as simple as reformatting the harddrive or the harddrive could be broke. I won the iPod for 70.21 and it had a 9 dollar shipping and handeling fee, so all I paid was 79.21 so I don't feel I got "ripped off". The reason for this post, is to find out, even though I'm not the original owner, could I send it into Apple for a new or "refurbished" 3rd Generation iPod? The actual iPod shows no signs of damage from the detailed pictures he had supplied, so I don't think he dropped it, or did anything to cause it to break. If the warrenty won't work, can you give me any suggestions on what to do as far as trying to fix the problem by myself? Can I "reformat" it onto my PC?
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-04-2005, 05:46 AM

Reclined Lounger

If the Hard Drive is dead it will cost approx $130 to repair. I doubt the warranty is still in force as it would last 1 year from purchase and the seller would have sent it for repair if they could.

as to formatting just try it.

I cannot post the url to this info so I will have to post the whole text

Code:
EXCLAMATION MARK

"Hi. I'm guessing I did that thing where you delete everything off the ipod. After I reset it, all that comes up after the Apple icon is this icon of a folder. The iPod is in disk mode and says "Do not disconnect" or 'folder with exclamation mark in a triangle' when I connect it to my mac, but the ipod icon never appears on the desktop. So trying to restore it is hard if my computer refuses to acknowledge it even exists. Do you have any idea what's going on? I'm so lost! Thanks!"

"My Ipod shows the folder with the question mark. I have tried already the instructions on apple.com that say I should press and hold play and menu, and then press and hold previous/forward in order to run the software update and restore iPod. The problem is that my PC does not recognize the Ipod in order to do so and I don't know what else to do. I'm really desperate!" ~ jbolio

Open the iPod updater. It's probably in your Applications or Utilities folder. If not get it here. The iPod updater will see your iPod even if it doesn't mount on the desktop. WARNING: The restore command erases all of the music and other data on the iPod. If that doesn't work, check out this Apple tech support link.

I've tried the iPod Software Updater and I've gotten up to the part where you click Restore, but after that I don't get a status bar or anything. The Software Updater just freezes up.

Try this: Erase it with Disk Utility (it's in your Utilities folder which is in the Applications folder on every Mac with OS X). Then run the iPod Updater (Mac or PC) and Restore it. Windows users can do the same thing. They just need to right-click on the iPod, then select Format to erase it.

"I am having problems restoring my iPod. Basically I have formatted my ipod as a Fat32 volume and I am now just getting the Folder Icon with the exclamation mark. My ipod is assigned a drive letter and I am able to browse it but I cannot run the system restore (either 1.3 or 2.0) - it keeps telling me it "Can't Mount iPod". I believe this is because the system restore app is looking for certain files on the ipod in order to recognize it but these files are not there. Would you know of any location where I can obtain the ipod system files in order to manually copy them back onto my ipod?" ~ ross

You are right. The iPod has it's own operating software. When you erased the iPod, you killed it's OS. Download the iPod Updater from VersionTracker.com. The iPod updater will see your iPod even if it doesn't mount on your computer. WARNING: The restore command erases all of the music and other data on the iPod. If the iPod updater doesn't see your iPod, follow this tutorial from Apple's Tech Support Site.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:00 AM

Junior Lounger

ipod updater DOES NOT recognise the ipod when this problem happens.

The exact same thing has happened to me on 2 different ipods, and the whole dead end to the problem is that you CAN'T restore the ipod when it gets this bad.

::M1557::
Old 09-06-2005, 03:18 AM

Veteran Lounger

I don't think there would be any warranty left on an ipod that old but you could email the seller and ask. I agree though, if he had warranty left he probably just would have used it and got the ipod repaired.

If you can't get anywhere you could email the repair sites listed on this link and get quotes. Apple are going to be the most expensive to repair and the only reason to go with them is usually just due to warranty. As you don't have that worry I would try a 3rd party company.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/directory/

Topic: Got a used broken iPod, do I have a warranty?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.