Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Hard Drive Crash - Recover songs from iPod?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-21-2005, 08:34 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hard Drive Crash - Recover songs from iPod?

My hard drive, with 3200+ songs and a bunch of PodCasts in iTunes, just crashed. Fortunately, I have 99% of them on my iPod, but how can I go about moving the contents of the iPod onto a replacement hard drive? The idea of having to reload all those songs from the CD's is beyond the pale....

Thanks in advance for your help!

Chuck
iPod Photo 40GB, Windows XP Pro

Chuck

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-21-2005, 08:54 PM

Freshman Lounger

Well, I figured out a cumbersome way to do it, involving copying the contents of the iPod to the PC, then adding the music folder-by-folder (File>Add Folder to Library). 50 folders later....I'm back in business. But if there's a better way....I'd still be interested.

Chuck
Old 08-21-2005, 09:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

Honeybee, thanks very much for your prompt and helpful reply!

Chuck
Old 09-03-2005, 09:39 PM

Freshman Lounger

Unsupported Activity

I have read many threads relating to the restoration of a Music Library from an ipod to a new Hard Drive.

What I still do not understand is why I do not find support for this actvity from the Vendor?

I see that someone has an answer for a MAC restore but for windows it seems unclear.

Mr Moderator before you shame me with a response of " should have searched" well I did and I still do not have an answer.

My PC hard drive crashed and I want to take my Music Library from my ipod and put it back on my new PC.

I do not want to buy any other software. Why should I?

Why does this seem like a difficult task?
Old 09-05-2005, 12:54 PM

Freshman Lounger

Re: Unsupported Activity

This has worked for some in the past.

Open "My Computer" or "Windows Explorer"
Go to "Tools" then "Folder Options" then the "View" tab
Select "Show Hidden Files and Folders"
Click "Apply" or "OK" and exit the program.

Plug in the iPod (I prefer to do this on a machine without iTunes installed so I don't have to worry about the auto synch wiping out the iPod - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). Remember if iTunes is set to auto synch, it will wipe out the iPod and everything you are trying to do is now lost and a data recovery program or vendor is needed.

Once the iPod is recognized and mounted by Windows, it will show as a removable drive in Windows Explorer or My Computer. Open one of these, and open the drive. Now you have to go through each folder on the iPod and copy out the files to a folder on your hard drive or other large storage device (yes, this takes a looooong time). To try to save a lot of time, you can try to use the "Search" function in Windows to seach the iPod drive for all mp3 and m4a files (I'm not sure if the seach feature works with hidden files and folders but give it a try). Search for "*.mp3" and/or "*.m4a" for music files and podcasts. They will all appear in one window named Search Results. Select them all and copy to another storage device (external hard drive - also good for back-ups). Once you have them all, remove the iPod the way Windows likes and unplug it.

Now you can install iTunes and bring in the songs. If you let iTunes manage your library, it will rebuild the folder structure by Artist and Album. Remember, once you plug in the iPod, it may synch to iTunes. Be very sure you have everything you want off it before plugging it in.

A few words of warning... Some people have had varied results doing this. Do this at your own risk. Additionally, this will in no way recover a deleted song. I offer this only as a suggestion as fritz wanted to know how it "could" be done without using any third party software. Also, the iPod does not have the same, organized folder structure that the iTunes library does. When I have helped others, I prefer to work with their hard drives first and then the iPod. Many times, the entire folder structure can be recovered from a "crashed" drive. I've found a lot of people will send you their hard drive but NOBODY will send you their iPod.

Remember, there are two kinds of computer users. Those who back-up their files and those that wish they had. Microsoft provides the program within Windows. See http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...howbackup.mspx for more information.

Good luck.

I just tested the search function and it will show hidden files and folders IF configured properly. In Windows XP, Start --> Search. Click on "All Files and Folders." Enter *.mp3 or *.m4a in "All or Part of File Name". Select the iPod drive letter from the "Look in" pull down menu. Click on "More Advanced Options" and select "Search Hidden Files and Folders." Now click on Search and let it run. When its done, select all the files and copy them to another storage device.

Last edited by iTony-B; 09-05-2005 at 01:09 PM.

Topic: Hard Drive Crash - Recover songs from iPod?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.