Initial Problems with iPod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

dracomjb

Website
www.mtgmelb.com
I unpacked the iPod, sorted out all the cables, plugged the USB2 cable into the dock and then the PC, plugged the firewire port into the power adapter and plugged the iPod into the doc. Windows XP detected a new USB device, and added it as a drive letter.

As expected, XP wanted to format the drive when I tried to access it, so I said no and went on to install from the setup CD.

Installation went smoothly, installed the iPod software, configured for Windows and MusicMatch installed. Rebooted, all went fine.

Ran the iPod manager, all was fine, turned it on as a disk, all fine. I could now browse the disk.

Ran ephPod, transferred some music over, all worked. Built some playlists, again all worked.

Decided to play some music, so disconnected the iPod through the Safely Remove Hardware icon. Started playing.

Intial problem #1 - A humming in the background when playing music. Resolved by unplugging iPod from the dock. I would prefer to have the iPod plugged into power when listing to music in the office. Maybe I'll just listen via PC. Not a major problem. Will investigate further later to see if it is related to the dock, the power cable or the usb connection.

Decided I wanted to at least experience Music Match. So I connected the iPod up again, ran ephPod and chose to clear the iPod. Seemed to go ok.

I then closed ephPod and ran MusicMatch. Looked horrible, didn't like the interface so quit it straight away. From then on everything went horrible.

First Windows now constantly disconnected the iPod. Sometime it would find it again, other times it just popped up a message that the USB device had a problem. I disconnected the iPod, reconnected it. No detection (I still got the Windows ding sound to indicate Windows knew something was connected). Still problems. When Windows did see it as a disk and ephPod could see it it would all of a sudden disconnect.

Problem resolution steps:

1st - uninstall MusicMatch. No improvement.
2nd - reset iPod. No improvement.
3rd - reset iPod to factory settings. No improvement.

I couldn't even run the update restore tool as it wasn't detected.

Final step was to unplug the dock and the iPod. Uninstall the Apple iPod software. Reboot and reinstall software. During the install asked about configuration, plugged dock and iPod back in. This time I plugged into a different USB port just in case the first port had a problem. Windows detected the iPod as a USB disk (good start). iPod software installed.

Just in case there were any problems ran the Update app and ran the restore option. A little disappointed this restored 2.0.1 instead of the factory installed 2.02 so now my contrast while set to default (middle of the contrast bar) the screen was now almost solid black. Had to move the contrast right down to get back to how it had been.

I had unplugged iPod to reset the contrast, so now, a clean iPod and a PC with the iPod software but no MusicMatch installed I plugged the iPod back in.

Yes....everything now works.

Now I'm trialling Media Center, looks better than MusicMatch, but I'm still not overly happy with the interface. I hope iTunes is going to be much much better. The Mac version certainly looks it from the screen shots.

Apart from these intially teething problems I'm very happy.

Hopefully this will be the last of the problems.