USB 2 Connection Problem

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

betatester

Hello fellow podites...

I have a rather bigish problem with my ipod connection. 1st the specs so you can get your background.

4G - Black and White - 40gb - iPod 2005/26/06 Update - iTunes 4.9.0.17

Dell Dimension 8250 - 3.06ghz - WD 120GB - 512mb RAM - XP - USB 2.0 and USB

Right.....

I hook my ipod with its docking station to the USB 2 ports on the Dell and it doesnt see the ipod. It knows hardware is added as it makes a sound, quickly followed by the disconnect sound. This keeps going until I get fed up and remove it. However the iPod keeps flicking from Do Not Disconnect to Ok to Disconnect and the Main Menu.

Another strange point is that on the same computer, when I put the iPod on the normal USB port it works fine - just very slow.

Anyone have any ideas on whats going on?? Ive checked the drivers etc and they are all fine! Could it be a motherboard problem?

I have used this iPod with USB 2 on my laptop and it worked fine but not with this desktop?!

Please could someone point me in the right direction as I have tried most paths to fix this problem without any luck! Its been driving me nuts!

Thank-you!

[email protected]

betatester

The port is fine as I run my 250gb external HD off it and many other things!

Fadingfool

Is the USB 2.0 a powered port? And is it on the motherboard or a card in an expansion slot?

betatester

Erm??

Im not sure - its just a standard Dell Dimension 8250 USB 2 setup!

Any ideas?

Fadingfool

Sorry about all the questions but the intermittent nature of the problem makes problem solving difficult. Have you tried connecting the ipod directly to the USB 2 port - i.e. don't use the docking station? If you have and you are sure it is not a physical problem with the leads or the ports you may have to remove the existing drivers from the desktop and install the latest XP USB drivers from microsoft. Oh just thought - disable the non-USB 2 ports in your device manager - it might be a driver conflict.

aarforce27

I think I'm having the same exact problem...my 5th gen ipod works in the usb 1.1 port, but in my new 2.0 port it says do no disconnect for a couple seconds, then says ok to disconnect, and it says the drivers are updated and the card is working properly...I don't get it...

dadadan

Just a suggestion, have you guys attempted to reboot (hold middle and menu buttons for 10 seconds) the ipod? I previously had problems with a nano and photo that didn't mount properly (similar symptoms to yours). Rebooting the ipods solved the problems.

AFAIK, XP does a pretty good job detecting and installing usb 2.0 drivers.