Have serious battery issues...have replaced battery several times...HELP! - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Have serious battery issues...have replaced battery several times...HELP!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-12-2005, 02:45 PM

Junior Lounger

Have serious battery issues...have replaced battery several times...HELP!

Ok guys, this isn't the standard 3G Ipod battery sob-story thread.

I have a 4G 40GB Ipod that I bought literally at 9:02 a.m. the morning they released them last year (I mention this because it is an absolute version 1.0000000 of the 4G hardware).

I listen to rouhgly 8 hours of music per day, so the battery gets recharged from empty to full probably 6 times per week. About 97% of the time, I wait until the battery is completely charged to disconnect the ipod from the power source.

Well, originally, I was getting 10 - 12 hours of battery life - a great statistic for my type of usage (high volume, skipping songs frequently).

Then, after about 6 or 7 months, I began noticing a drastic change in battery life. By the time this past June rolled around, I was down to about 6 hours of battery life on normal usage.

So I ordered a new battery from NewerTec - it was a 750MAH extended life 4G ipod battery that *should* have provided rouhgly 15 hours of battery life.

I installed it, and the ipod did not function at all. Totally dead. I thought I friend my pod, and I was about to buy a 4g 60gb Ipod photo, when I reinstalled the original battery for kicks, and it worked fine.

So I returned the newertech battery for a replacement. I installed the replacement. Initially i got over 12 hours of usage out of it. Then I went for a 1 month trip to Europe. In doing so, I was charging it frequently with a voltage adapter. By the end of the trip (probably 25 rechargings total on teh 2nd NewerTech battery) I was down again to 5 hours of battery life.

So NewerTech was nice enough to exchange the battery again. Last night I installed my third newertech battery, and now I only get about 7 hours of battery life.

WTF???

Is it possible my battery meter is broken? My EQ is off, my backlight is off, I listed to almost exclusively play lists, etc...
Newertech batteries have an EXCELLENT track records - they have sold millions of them and even the guy ont eh phone said they receive very few returns, much less 2 returns from the same person.

What is going on? AHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhh!!!?

-5G 60GB Black iPod video w/ V-Moda Bass Extender Headphones
-1G 2GB Ipod Nano w/Full Nike+ gear & V-Moda Headphones
-1G 512MB iPod Shuffle w/armband|Sony sport headphones
Old 08-12-2005, 04:16 PM

Sometimes, li-ion batteries need to warm up all their cells. Try letting it drain completely, then recharging it for the full 4 hours to calibrate the cells and get them all fully working. Then try it out for about a week and see what kind of life you are getting.

"Age is not a particularly interesting subject. Anyone can get old. All you have to do is live long enough." -Groucho Marx

Topic: Have serious battery issues...have replaced battery several times...HELP!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.