Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: can't get computer to connect to ipod.. please help

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-25-2005, 03:22 AM

Freshman Lounger

can't get computer to connect to ipod.. please help

I just got an ipod on friday.. although I've installed and helped my best friend with hers.. I installed mine, and used it on her computer no problem.. I brought it home to use it for the first time.. and it won't recognize it at all .. i have windows 2000 sp 4.. i'm connecting with usb... the computer nor the ipod do anything when connected. I've tried different ports, i've tried restarting the computer and the ipod... there's no driver information.. nothing. I've installed the disc.. nothing nothing nothing. i'm so frustrated i could spit

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-25-2005, 10:01 PM

Junior Lounger

Thats weird, even without installing the apple software it should show up as a mass storage device on all computers. I have XP at home and 2000 at work, both works. Maybe there's something wrong with the USB card, Try another port. Make sure it's USB 2.0 and not 1.1. I never tried my ipod on USB 1.1 but it should read it too. add it manually, Goto settings and add/remove hardware and let windows search for the new ipod.

XP - 60Gig photo - 6100 songs and counting - 2800 + Pictures
Old 07-27-2005, 03:34 PM

Freshman Lounger

Yeah i've tried all those things.. it still doesnt work.. i know the usb ports work because i use other things with them.. the device manager says USB 2.0 and then a lot of USBs but each one i plug in doesn't recognize on the 2.0 one.. because i thought maybe that would be a solution.. i tried to add it.. didnt work.. ugh
Old 07-28-2005, 02:04 AM

Junior Lounger

Hey,

I'm not sure if I have interpreted your problem correctly but hopefully I can help.

It sounds very similar to the problem I had where I installed the disc, iTunes etc and when I connected my iPod it wouldn't recognise it. My PC would not recognise the driver. I tried everything, checking the ports, using the device manager and in the end I ended up uninstalling all of the software.

I reinstalled the CD whilst my iPod was connected and it would seem that this time round it worked and my PC recognised my iPod and it also came up in iTunes.

I hope this may help you. Good Luck!
Old 07-28-2005, 12:29 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the help.. i tried that.. and it wouldnt work.. i uninstalled everything.. and reinstalled everything.. still nothing
Old 07-29-2005, 09:37 PM

Freshman Lounger

Have you reset the iPod? LOCK UNLOCK hold menu and select for about 6 seconds..

Try that..

TOM
Old 07-29-2005, 10:42 PM

Freshman Lounger

yup.. did that more than once
Old 07-30-2005, 04:38 PM

Freshman Lounger

Ok, I've got the same problem...my computer recognizes it as an "unknown storage device"...however, in itunes, it says that no ipod is connected...what should i do?????
Old 08-13-2005, 02:09 AM

Pedros Personal Assistant

SAME PROBLEM!!! THE BUBBLE COMES UP AND SAYS

"USB DEVICE NOT REGNISED. ONE OF THE USB DEVICES ON THIS COMPUTER HAS MALFUNCTIONED AND WINDOWS DOES NOT RECOGNISE IT." it says this EVEN though about i min before it did this i had my two ipods connected to the computer and itunes.

so if it's happeneding to both of my pods somehow i dont think its an ipod thing because they are fine. but i dont really have any idea on what it could be.

www.essendonfc.com.au
Old 08-16-2005, 10:47 PM

Freshman Lounger

problem solver!!!!:

well i dont know what the heck was wrong with my ipod lol but i did drain the battieries and when it was really dead i plugged it in and it connected! it works now! yay kjust drain the battieries completely till it wont even turn on!!
Old 08-17-2005, 10:59 PM

Freshman Lounger

Can anyone confirm that this has worked for them as well? This is really ####ing me off...I formatted b/c of the freakin error and now it's happening again.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:53 AM

Freshman Lounger

I have this issue on my comp where i plug the ipod in the usb...

it acts normal like its charging (with the big red do not disconnect logo) and the little windows beep it makes when a usb is connected.

Then it unconnects it... says its OK to disconnect ipod... and it keeps doing that over and over, making that dang windows beep...

Anyone seen this issue before?

i can charge it in the wall, and i can still listen to it... but i cannot transfer songs or anything
Old 12-14-2009, 04:06 PM

Freshman Lounger

i have exactly the same issue works on my laptop but not my desktop my other ipod connects no prob..... the new one is nano 5th generation
Old 12-15-2009, 10:58 PM

linaelectronic
Banned

ai```before i met the same problem,i had to fix it..
Old 12-17-2009, 06:58 AM

Freshman Lounger

Hey, I`ve got a similar problem - bought my son an Ipod nano for christmas, thought i`d get it all set up for him, charged and music etc. When i initially connected it to my pc it was good, registered it etc, but now it wont do anything. it says that it recognises it, but i cant get Itunes up or anything. My pc already has Itunes etc because of my Ipod - can i have 2 ipods registered to 1 pc??
I have no clue, im not the brightest bulb on the tree when it comes to this kind of thing!! Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Topic: can't get computer to connect to ipod.. please help

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.